The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Isn't it just mind boggling that some parents force their kids to pay rent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quady
'saving up'? 'longer time'?

Rent, council tax, gas/electric/water, broadband is about £700pcm major city centres to live alone. Unless you're on a truely dire wage (ie minimum wage) its perfectly doable.

Deposit, first months rent and references, about a grand. If someone hasn't that saved up a month after their first job they've been doing something by then they've got issues generally.

What about in London?
Original post by teen1234
Ive actually questioned this so many times. I genuinely dont understand it. I also hear people applying for medicine/dentistry and when they dont get in they say their parents 'cant afford' for them to take a gap year and so they end up doing a much less financially stable course and end up back to square one again?
How can you possibly hold your child back from being a dentist or doctor because you dont want them to take a gay year is beyond my understanding to be perfectly honest.

(Im not talking about people in actual financial turmoil, these are your average middle class families)

:confused:

If the kid takes a year out and gets a job while reapplying, then what is the problem?

It sounds like those kind of parents are making excuses, but then again you to consider the fact that after 18/19, the parents won't receive child benefit for the child anymore.
Reply 102
Original post by Dee Leigh
Have they been working full-time from the age of 16? And have they moved out?

Well not full time obviously just some evenings and weekends, well now they have.

Is your last name Mahmood by any chance? Abit random I know?
What about in London?

Yeah, in London £700 a month gets a room in a shared house in Zone 5. And then there's £200 more on top of that for a travelcard each month. I survive, on £25.5k, but I wouldn't want to be living on less. I could obviously be more comfortable and save more money if I stayed with my parents, but it wouldn't be worth the loss of independence.
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Yeah, in London £700 a month gets a room in a shared house in Zone 5. And then there's £200 more on top of that for a travelcard each month. I survive, on £25.5k, but I wouldn't want to be living on less. I could obviously be more comfortable and save more money if I stayed with my parents, but it wouldn't be worth the loss of independence.

Ok.

I could be comfortable and save if I lived with parents but I am unwilling to sacrifice my independence. However, I'd still want to live in London (because of my career prospects) after graduation.

So do you live in London?
Ok.

I could be comfortable and save if I lived with parents but I am unwilling to sacrifice my independence. However, I'd still want to live in London (because of my career prospects) after graduation.

So do you live in London?

Yup, in the situation described in my last post - shared house with two others, SW London.
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Yup, in the situation described in my last post - shared house with two others, SW London.

Wow ok.

What is that like? I can't imagine wanting to live with in a house share after graduation but I will probably have little choice. After all, I have lived with others at university and that has its good and bad points.

How did you manage to find a house share? Do you know of any good websites? And are you able to saving up a little bit of money each month for buying a house in future, or do you find that difficult?
I think when you get to a certain age parents probably should charge rent, especially if you're not currently in some form of education.

If you're still in school/college and say below 20, then no, I think that's taking the pi** a little.
If the child isn't earning anything (eg: student) or is financially struggling (whilst the parents are fine) I agree that it is often meanness*.

However, if 3 adults comfortably earning money choose to share a home - why should 2 out of those 3 pay for everything? A lot of young adults earning decent salaries still choose to live with their parents for company and to save money (what their parents ask of them is generally substantially less than commercial rents). This is very common, and your OP's disregard of this option is causing most of the controversy in this thread methinks.

* That said people are also forgetting other siblings. Some parents which charge rent/contribution because they are trying to spread their finances fairly amongst their children, some of whom for practical reasons may not be living at home and thus aren't receiving that benefit from their parents.
I think some parents do this because their kids are kind of lazy and aren't doing much with their lives.

I think past an age, you either find yourself somewhere to live or you should start supporting your family. I think there's nothing wrong with that.

I had to pay for my internet connection back when I was living with my single mum.
Yes I understand, but not everyone has the option to live with their parents and save up.

I know I don't.

You said you should move out as soon as you earn. I was just saying that I disagree - if you do have the option to live with parents and save it's a good one
Original post by Pro Crastination
Surely gratitude comes in the form of paying heed to their advice, working hard, achieving, and doing them proud? Why does money have to come in to it?

Of course if that works for some parents then fine. Money doesn't have to come into it - not for everyone at least. But I don't get why people are surprised or find it 'mind boggling' when it does. To me it seems perfectly understandable.
There was a girl in my year at Uni that I'll never forget. She lived away from home and didn't have a job (just studied) and she couldn't even afford to go home for Christmas because her parents used to charge her through the teeth to stay over. Even just for the holidays. She stayed Xmas Eve to Boxing Day in the end iirc. Felt so sorry for her and I think that's scandalous tbh.

As soon as you're working full time and living at home though you really ought to be paying something at least IMO. Very cheeky otherwise.
I think many people want kids because they want kids and then see them as expired as grown ups.

People will use anything to make a buck, it’s wrong to charge a son or daughter rent or whatever but people have ways to make extra bucks.

Latest

Trending

Trending