The Student Room Group

Preparing for A levels

I've just finished my GCSEs so I've got a long summer to myself. I wasn't planning on doing much preparation over the summer but has anyone who is currently doing A levels/done A levels got any advice which would be useful for me to do between now and September. Nothing stupid like learn the entire syllabus.
What did you do between GCSEs and A level and what do you wish you had done between GCSE and A level to help with your 6th form?
There's no point doing much as your exams are in june and I found they started off slowly when I started a levels so you don't have to worry about not being able to keep up in September. It might be useful to read around the subject just for interest as you won't have time to do this when you're revising later on. What subjects are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good question OP, I've been wondering how to prepare for A levels myself. I'm going to study chemistry, biology, physics and maths, can anyone recommend me any text books which I can read on these subjects? I was thinking something like CGP but from what I've seen everyone complains about CGP books.
Reply 3
Original post by jhjamie
Good question OP, I've been wondering how to prepare for A levels myself. I'm going to study chemistry, biology, physics and maths, can anyone recommend me any text books which I can read on these subjects? I was thinking something like CGP but from what I've seen everyone complains about CGP books.

I'm studying exactly the same A levels so if you find anything, let me know please
No point in doing anything now, honestly. You'll get taught it all from September, just make sure you keep up and understand everything. Enjoy the calm before the storm...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What MrSupernova said
Enjoy the next 2 years, i'm free in a few days from this A level hell. Never been so relieved!
Reply 6
To both of you guys doing maths, bio, chem and physics, welcome to the club. Although I'm just finishing up on my AS levels.

Honestly? You learn at a slow pace in the beginning anyway. You're reminded of rules/facts that you learnt at GCSE and therefore you shouldn't need to fuss about doing stuff over summer. I know there's a GCP book for a bridging the gap between GCSE and AS level chemistry, but it was just simple GCSE stuff mostly.

Seriously, AS levels are a lot of work. I was bored out of my mind on the summer before AS levels, but just enjoy it and relax, hang with your friends, and have fun. If you HAVE to do something, don't start learning anything, but read up on what you guys learn, because for all you know it may be really difficult/horrible, and having that realisation before you start can be a good thing so you can change your options before you start, meaning no time lost from learning.
Reply 7
Original post by Okkefac
To both of you guys doing maths, bio, chem and physics, welcome to the club. Although I'm just finishing up on my AS levels.

Honestly? You learn at a slow pace in the beginning anyway. You're reminded of rules/facts that you learnt at GCSE and therefore you shouldn't need to fuss about doing stuff over summer. I know there's a GCP book for a bridging the gap between GCSE and AS level chemistry, but it was just simple GCSE stuff mostly.

Seriously, AS levels are a lot of work. I was bored out of my mind on the summer before AS levels, but just enjoy it and relax, hang with your friends, and have fun. If you HAVE to do something, don't start learning anything, but read up on what you guys learn, because for all you know it may be really difficult/horrible, and having that realisation before you start can be a good thing so you can change your options before you start, meaning no time lost from learning.

If the only reason to read up on the subject is to cement my option choices then I think I'll leave it, I literally have no desire to study any subjects other than the four I'm going to study, I hate everything else but love those four.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anything, savour the freedom while you can.
Reply 9
Original post by Whizbox
If the only reason to read up on the subject is to cement my option choices then I think I'll leave it, I literally have no desire to study any subjects other than the four I'm going to study, I hate everything else but love those four.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good, then just relax and had fun this summer. If you're planning on doing A levels then that means you probably worked hard on your GCSEs, so you deserve a break!
Original post by Whizbox
I'm studying exactly the same A levels so if you find anything, let me know please

I asked a few sixth formers who study sciences in my school today and they just suggested that I should read the CGP books to gain some brief knowledge on the subjects. They said that it will help me distinguish any topics I really struggle with so I will know straight away what I'll need help on. I'll be buying the CGP books, if I find anything better or if I'm recommended any other good text books or methods of preparing for AS levels I'll let you know.

Quick Reply

Latest