The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Working with Young People (Children and Adolescence)/Youth Counsellor

Hi!

So I've pretty much just finished my degree (BA Hons Counselling and Psychotherapy) and the main reason I took this course was because I wanted to work with children and young people in Counselling. Now that I have finished, I'm stuck on how to get into that sector. I understand it's difficult to break into, but I'd like to know how to start and work my way in. I only have a Health and Social Care Level 3 Diploma from college and completed 2 weeks caring for the elderly and a year caring for nursery children (originally 2 weeks but was surprisingly offered a job as a nursery nurse in that Nursery!) All I've been doing is applying to volunteer with young people in centers and after-school clubs, is there anything else that I can do? Or maybe a way of breaking into that area quickly and efficiently? I'm eager to start my career, understandably...
Perhaps you could arrange to talk to someone at your old high school and discuss with them what they look for when hiring pastoral support staff? Having a little bit of experience, even doing something that you're not particularly in to, will help you break into that sort of career.
Hope that helps,
Alys
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending