The Student Room Group

Any IB Art and Design Students Here?

Hi everyone!

In my previous thread about choosing my IB subjects, someone recommended me not to take any group 6 subjects unless it's necessary because it's hard and time consuming, yet considered a soft subject by universities.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone doing Art and Design out there. What do you think of the subject?

I'm not the biggest fan of visual art but I've been doing well in Art class when I was in secondary school. When I'm inspired, I can make good art, but I'm not always inspired, if you know what I mean.

I'd really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi there!

I have just finished IB this year and I took the Visual Arts course. The course itself is really interesting, I loved the idea of the investigation workbook, etc. The most important thing as far as I am concerned, is what the teacher is like though. We had a... let me say this, she was just stupid. We had maaaany problems with her, she had no idea about art, about the english language, and even about the IB programme and the course she was teaching for about 7 years in our school. My friends and I had to do everything IB required mostly on our own without any help from her (since her 'help' was more like 'disturbing us, shouting and destroying our artworks while we were working'). So go for it, if the teacher seems to be nice!
I would fully recommend you do visual arts. I've only done my first year of IB doing visual arts but am already seeing the benefits of doing it versus doing another subject in group 6. I got 100% in my art gcse and really enjoy art so that's why I picked it. I love how when it comes to the exams, by doing visual arts instead of an academic subject, it means you have more time to focus on your other subjects that you may be struggling with. A disadvantage though is that it is hard to fit in doing art as homework, so you need to learn how to manage your time well. One thing that is very important is to NOT slack off in art lessons because they really matter and if you do end up just messing about in every art lesson and not doing any work then you will find yourself having to do a million art pieces right before the deadline, when you should be focusing on your other subjects. So if you're good at art and are willing to work, then I encourage you to do it! :smile:
Original post by Radziok
Hi there!

I have just finished IB this year and I took the Visual Arts course. The course itself is really interesting, I loved the idea of the investigation workbook, etc. The most important thing as far as I am concerned, is what the teacher is like though. We had a... let me say this, she was just stupid. We had maaaany problems with her, she had no idea about art, about the english language, and even about the IB programme and the course she was teaching for about 7 years in our school. My friends and I had to do everything IB required mostly on our own without any help from her (since her 'help' was more like 'disturbing us, shouting and destroying our artworks while we were working'). So go for it, if the teacher seems to be nice!

I'm going to a new school so I don't really know about the teachers... But based on the level of workload and difficulty, do you think someone like me would be able to handle it at SL?
Original post by studentiam
I would fully recommend you do visual arts. I've only done my first year of IB doing visual arts but am already seeing the benefits of doing it versus doing another subject in group 6. I got 100% in my art gcse and really enjoy art so that's why I picked it. I love how when it comes to the exams, by doing visual arts instead of an academic subject, it means you have more time to focus on your other subjects that you may be struggling with. A disadvantage though is that it is hard to fit in doing art as homework, so you need to learn how to manage your time well. One thing that is very important is to NOT slack off in art lessons because they really matter and if you do end up just messing about in every art lesson and not doing any work then you will find yourself having to do a million art pieces right before the deadline, when you should be focusing on your other subjects. So if you're good at art and are willing to work, then I encourage you to do it! :smile:

Well, my old school didn't offer Art in IGCSE so I have no ideal if I've done well in that subject if it was offered...

I don't always enjoy art since I'm not really talented at all... The only things I can draw are eyes.

Thank you for your help anyway :smile:
Hi, I'm taking IB Art next year! I will work my best since I love this subject. Oh, I will work hard on other subject too, of course. I'm hoping that we could help each other out with advice and tips! ^^
Original post by whitecaniswolf
Hi, I'm taking IB Art next year! I will work my best since I love this subject. Oh, I will work hard on other subject too, of course. I'm hoping that we could help each other out with advice and tips! ^^

Haha, great! I'm not sure if I'll take it or not though. However, if I do, we can be IB Art buddies ;D
For sure !^^ I love art and do art so that's why I joined. I don't know about you though? :smile:)
For sure !^^ I love art and do art so that's why I joined. I don't know about you though? :smile:)

Hi again!

I'm so sorry for the late reply for I've been busy lately. I think I'm not going to take Art after all. But hey, you can always inbox me if I can be any help at all :smile:

Have a nice day.
oh, but then what IB subject are you taking then? if we share some we could help each other !^^
oh, but then what IB subject are you taking then? if we share some we could help each other !^^

These are probably the subjects I'm going to choose...

English A SL

French ab initio SL

Economics HL

Geography HL

Biology HL

Mathematics SL

How about you? Ohh, and we should message each other privately. Just to prevent this thread from going off topic :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending