The Student Room Group

Do I have good reason to complain?

Hi, I've finished my AS levels and am now starting my a2's.

Basically, during AS, I had an excellent biology teacher, who was encouraging, vibrant and young and just basically the best biology teacher ever, he truly cared for the students and stayed behind after school to help us out. I had biology 4 days a school week (a little background knowledge, a lot of teachers at my school are leaving suddenly)

He left, and now we are left with 2 crappy biology teachers and only 2 hours per week, the times when I was supposed to have biology have been replaced with frees. Both the teachers are really, really bad, and everyone in the class agrees, it's almost pointless to turn up to the lesson. Due to also having a lack of teachers/hours, I have been given a 6000 word essay to write on global warming, a topic we have not studied yet, the teacher claims that she has too much on her plate to teach us the topic so we basically have to teach ourselves then write the essay.

I was wondering if I have good reason to complain to my head of 6th form about Biology or if I'm just being stupid and need to suck it up? Bearing in mind, I need a good grade in biology to do the course that I want to do at uni...
Reply 1
I can sympathise with you on this, unfortunately sometimes it seems like some teachers just aren't meant to teach!

Considering getting a good grade is so important to you for Uni and it seems like your entire class is feeling let down by the sudden change in teaching, I think it would be worth mentioning it to your head of 6th form. I wouldn't approach it like a complaint though, simply say that you and a number of others are concerned-- remember you'll likely have to stick another year of the teachers regardless of what happens, so I wouldn't be too hostile or direct about it. I'm not sure what exactly can be done, but maybe even just mentioning it would give them the kick up the ass they need!
Reply 2
Original post by ohdakota
I can sympathise with you on this, unfortunately sometimes it seems like some teachers just aren't meant to teach!

Considering getting a good grade is so important to you for Uni and it seems like your entire class is feeling let down by the sudden change in teaching, I think it would be worth mentioning it to your head of 6th form. I wouldn't approach it like a complaint though, simply say that you and a number of others are concerned-- remember you'll likely have to stick another year of the teachers regardless of what happens, so I wouldn't be too hostile or direct about it. I'm not sure what exactly can be done, but maybe even just mentioning it would give them the kick up the ass they need!

Ah thank you for your reply, but I've already kinda put my foot into it by asking my head of 6th form who to address a letter of complaint to, inferring that I'm going to write one! But, I'll see if I can have a chat with her :smile:
Reply 3
Well good luck anyway! I hope you get something sorted :smile:
I had a similar issue last year and only mentioned it to my head of 6th, who sympathised but said she couldn't do anything about it. My mum went in to school to speak to the head at the end of the year because she was really angry about it (school fees --> good teaching --> excellent exam results etc). Without my knowledge. She also asked him to be discrete and not make it obvious it had come from her. Anyway, this year said teachers have definitely stepped it up a bit!
Maybe if you asked others in your class to voice their concerns to your head of 6th you'll be in a stronger position?

Quick Reply