The Student Room Group

ISIS in Iraq megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No, it's very much the point - terrorism is marked by violence, especially towards civilians, which ISIS have been committing.

Just because the Guardian says so doesn't mean it's true.

Not at all, western governments are trying to cut out terrorism and so are punishing those who plan to commit terrorist attacks. If that includes ISIS, then that's because ISIS are terrorists.

That is not true. They punish people for purely associating with ISIL, whether or not they commit or intend to commit terrorist acts. They have made no secret of the fact. They have said it openly.

Far from one said getting their say, the media is reporting what ISIS do and say - very much giving their say. It just happens that their "say" is terrorist actions and behaviour. Here is your defending them - you're denying things that are happening to avoid admitting that ISIS have committed a great number of atrocities recently.

:facepalm2:
I'm getting tired of this. You're just saying the same thing over and over, and I'm also just saying the same thing over and over.
I do not support their atrocities because I deny their atrocities; what sort of logic is that?

Yeah, except these came through a spokesman for ISIS and so isn't comparable to posting a video on youtube claiming to be someone... Or if you'd prefer testimonies from those there:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/06/12/iraq-isis-advance-threatens-civilians

Quoting HRW. Okay.
This just goes to show how the West has monopolised EVERY POSIBLE OUTLET that anybody can ever hope for and no voice will be louder than the Western voice.
OR did you think HRW would quote those masses who supported and facilitated the ISIL's takeover of Northern Iraq?
No we should not get involved. One of UKIP's policies or stances is to not get involved in other countries affairs and to not partake in military intervention. Our forces should be built to defend as opposed to intervene.

Its not on us our our responsibility to go playing superhero and helping to save the world.
Original post by yo radical one
I just think Muslims don't really realise just how well the West treats them and if America ever really did lose its top spot in the world, the Russians, the Chinese, would oppress Muslims in a very real way.

Lol. The West treats Muslims well? The West treats well EVERYBODY who bends over backwards to obey them, not just Muslims.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
If a nuke were to be dropped from an anonymous plane.. would the world know who was responsible?

Yes, they would be able to track where the plane came from.
Original post by imlosingmyhead
Blowing up civilians=terror, correct. The West has been doing this in parts of the World for years now. The West=terrorists to those living in those parts of the world.
I do not believe that ISIL blows up innocents as I have no reason to believe it.

The west does not intentionally target civillians, which is a big difference.
Original post by james22
The west does not intentionally target civillians, which is a big difference.

I don't think ISIL ever deliberately targeted civilians either.
Even so, I doubt the Afghan etc. families who were killed care whether you killed them by mistake or did so deliberately.
Also, it's debatable whether they do intentionally target or do not.
Also, I'd say that if they are aware 100% of collateral damage then that constitutes deliberate target.
I don't think ISIL ever deliberately targeted civilians either.
Even so, I doubt the Afghan etc. families who were killed care whether you killed them by mistake or did so deliberately.
Also, it's debatable whether they do intentionally target or do not.
Also, I'd say that if they are aware 100% of collateral damage then that constitutes deliberate target.

In war civilian targets are inevitable, regardless of who it fighting it. What matters is whether civillians are being intentionally targeted or being killed unnecessarily. All you can say about the west is that some of the targets may cause more civillian deaths than they are worth, but at least all the targets are military ones (to the knowledge of those doing that attack at least).
We certainly do not 'need' to intervene. More so because there is a serious lack of education in the West regarding why the turmoil in Iraq is going on. Calling ISIL 'terrorists' and 'al-qaeda affiliated' is vague at best and overly simplistic. There is an ever ongoing feud between Shiites and Sunnis in Iraq as well as the whole Muslim world. The Iraqi government under Maliki has been categorically repressing Sunnis, as a result of which they have had to flee places like Baghdad, Basra, for Northern areas, and these places are populated with people who support ISIL purely because they detest the government. The news won't tell you any of that. It'll condense it into a 'government' versus 'extremist Islamist West-hating terrorists' argument. This war, between Shiites and Sunnis, is inevitable. I may as well add that end times seem well nigh upon us.

Silly statement
The sunni shia political disputes are beetween bagdad govt and tribal leaders
Not al qaeda fundementalists

And repression is a harsh word, sunnis are upset that many of them are banned from taking govt jobs because they in the past may have worked for the baath party they call it discrimination.
Original post by James222
Silly statement

And repression is a harsh word, sunnis are upset that many of them are banned from taking govt jobs because they in the past may have worked for the baath party they call it discrimination.

That's not true, what are you, Shia? Do you know any Sunni Iraqis who want government jobs? Most of them want no part in a hated government. I am personally acquainted with Sunni Iraqis who had to flee Baghdad to go North, and even quit Iraq altogether because they were literally being slaughtered on the streets as Baghdad amounted a Shia majority. And Saddam killed Sunnis too, not just Shias, in case you're forgetting.
Reply 89
Send the drones in! That'll send the terrorists crawling back to their foxholes.

And if the militants in Iraq hadn't used civilians has shields then maybe, just maybe, civilian casualties would have been a fair bit lower!
That's not true, what are you, Shia? Do you know any Sunni Iraqis who want government jobs? Most of them want no part in a hated government. I am personally acquainted with Sunni Iraqis who had to flee Baghdad to go North, and even quit Iraq altogether because they were literally being slaughtered on the streets as Baghdad amounted a Shia majority. And Saddam killed Sunnis too, not just Shias, in case you're forgetting.

Hail the Shia

ay wAllah thats so true

they even kill us for our name, NAME if u call ur kid after someone they dont like/curse ur dead and ur kids :mad:

and they burn us alive for no reason saying theyll go to hevean cos ayat alshaytan alkhomeini said if u kill sunnies u go to heaven. they believe the more u kill the quicker u go (to hevean)

dhayheen hath :wink:

Saddam dint kill jus anyone if u spoke against him and were influential then he'd hang yea (my dads uncle, mayor of Baghdad was hung for this reason :frown: )

and saddam wasnt an oppressor to shia in specific but to iranians cos they want to take over Iraq
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by James222
Silly statement

yea.
its even that even if u werent in the Ba'ath party sunnies arent allowed and if they are they soon have their heads wanted :redface:

even the shia in the government many of em were in the ba'ath party but are still allowed in government and play a major part

showing hatred and discrimination :angry:
Reply 93
No, it's very much the point - terrorism is marked by violence, especially towards civilians, which ISIS have been committing.

Not at all, western governments are trying to cut out terrorism and so are punishing those who plan to commit terrorist attacks. If that includes ISIS, then that's because ISIS are terrorists.

Far from one said getting their say, the media is reporting what ISIS do and say - very much giving their say. It just happens that their "say" is terrorist actions and behaviour. Here is your defending them - you're denying things that are happening to avoid admitting that ISIS have committed a great number of atrocities recently.

Yeah, except these came through a spokesman for ISIS and so isn't comparable to posting a video on youtube claiming to be someone... Or if you'd prefer testimonies from those there:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/06/12/iraq-isis-advance-threatens-civilians

ISIS has not intentionally targeted civilians and they've made that clear numerous times. In fact, before they entered for the cities, they offered for those in the army to leave and repent and no harm will come to them.

As for Mosul, the people love it.

(lower your volume before clicking on the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXIqzL7Kqoo#t=164

In fact, if you don't find this reliable, Al Jazeera was in Mosul and the journalist reported what he saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppnQxNJB6y4

It really is a shame it's in Arabic as the language barrier doesn't allow people to see the truth but he effectively says the people are returning back to Mosul after they realised those armed are not killing the people.

It really isn't as simple as x group are terrorists and it's clear that ISIS have a popular backing by the Sunnis in Iraq.
Leave them to it, Islam the religion of peace yet 95% of religious violence is committed in the name of Islam, if they want to live in the middle ages who are we to stop them,
Reply 95
*facepalm* can some1 ans this,

between the illegal occupation of Palestine and Isis, who do u favor.
Original post by vickidc18
Leave them to it, Islam the religion of peace yet 95% of religious violence is committed in the name of Islam, if they want to live in the middle ages who are we to stop them,

Lmfao. Do you have any statistics with which to support your blatant bigotry?
Lmfao. Do you have any statistics with which to support your blatant bigotry?

How often do you hear about radicalized Christians, Buddhists or Hindus blowing themselves up, bombing or cutting peoples heads off yelling in the name of god?
Not very often....
How often do you hear about radicalized Christians, Buddhists or Hindus blowing themselves up, bombing or cutting peoples heads off yelling in the name of god?
Not very often....

I asked for statistics, not further blatant bigotry.
Not very often....

Where do you get your education from, the BBC? There are plenty of stories about Christians Buddhits and Hindus going wacko because of their religion, you only choose to concentrate on 'radicalised Muslims' (can you even explain what that means) because you are blatantly bigoted. How many Muslims live in Britain? How many of them have you seen bombing and cutting people's heads off? FFS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending