The Student Room Group

MEI Differential Equations - June 12th 2014

Haven't seen a thread for this so I started one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How did it go? I left out q3
Reply 2
I felt it went okay,
What was Q3a)i)
What was the differential equation??
Reply 3
I did 1, 3 and 4 the de for 3ai) was (x+1)dy/dx-xy=e^2x. Did people get positive roots for the AQE in question 4?
Reply 4
Yeah the second time I did it I did xD. Did you some like t>a third of ln something for the last part?
Reply 5
Very nice paper in my opinion. Did 1, 2 and 4. The last part of 2 threw me abit, and i had to go back and change my arbitrary constants in 1, but over that that it was a lovely paper.
Reply 6
I got t > 1/3ln3
i reckon grade boundaries will be high again, they're normally 63 on average for A which is a f*ckery. Hopefuly will be lower cus its most peoples first times taking it
i thought 1 and 4 weren't too bad, and 2 and 3 were the harder ones. i answered 3, not sure i showed part i) with enough detail though, oopsy!

Anyone else get messy fractions for the end of question 4 though..?
I got x after using a messy particular integral and I got y that involved exponentials involving a range of powers from -2 to 2 divided by 8
Reply 10
Original post by Mandragoran
I got t > 1/3ln3

yeah i got the same, thought i got it wrong when one of the guys at my sixth form got t > 3ln(4) because i always mess up on questions but nice to see someone else got the same answer as me!!

i did questions 1, 2 and 4 (i dont know why you would do question 3 it looked horrible!) and they seemed to go brilliantly. i'm really hoping for 90+ ums on this as i need this one as one of my 3 A2 units above 90 to get an A*.

how did everyone else who did 1,2 and 4 find them?
Reply 11
Original post by huffy23
yeah i got the same, thought i got it wrong when one of the guys at my sixth form got t > 3ln(4) because i always mess up on questions but nice to see someone else got the same answer as me!!

i did questions 1, 2 and 4 (i dont know why you would do question 3 it looked horrible!) and they seemed to go brilliantly. i'm really hoping for 90+ ums on this as i need this one as one of my 3 A2 units above 90 to get an A*.

I skipped 2 because of the non linear equation that you had to solve and they often get very messy. Question 3 was just drawing circles and stuff.
Original post by huffy23

Question was 1 was simple, not too hard. Question 2 was fine except for when they gave you an equation and you had to solve that took a lot of time for me personally. Question 4 was ok,a bit harder than average due to me having to use am awkward particular integral, however I fear I may have got that wrong. Do you remember what you got for your x equation in qs.4
Reply 13
Original post by Dr.Monstaa
Question was 1 was simple, not too hard. Question 2 was fine except for when they gave you an equation and you had to solve that took a lot of time for me personally. Question 4 was ok,a bit harder than average due to me having to use am awkward particular integral, however I fear I may have got that wrong. Do you remember what you got for your x equation in qs.4

I think it was x=Ae^t + Be^2t +1/12e^-2t
I got the same complimentary function but I got 1/2t^2*e^-2t
Reply 15
Original post by Dr.Monstaa
I got the same complimentary function but I got 1/2t^2*e^-2t

I don't know where your t^2 came from it should be just ke^-2x where k is a constant since e^-2x is not of the same type as the complimenter y function.
Original post by Mandragoran
I don't know where your t^2 came from it should be just ke^-2x where k is a constant since e^-2x is not of the same type as the complimenter y function.

Ah I put nt^2e^-2t as the CF because the original one I put gave n=0. Oh well ecf will save me.
Reply 17
i accidentally wrote 1/11 instead of 1/12 and obviously it was then carried forward into everything how many marks do you think ecf will get you because i am ****ting myself my offer is A* A* A
Reply 18
Original post by emirp17
i accidentally wrote 1/11 instead of 1/12 and obviously it was then carried forward into everything how many marks do you think ecf will get you because i am ****ting myself my offer is A* A* A

Yeah I kept writing my own numbers down wrong, I have no idea how, i guess exam stress T.T. That's also my offer but after how bad the M3 exam was, I'm pretty sure I don't have a chance at A* in further maths. My offer also requires step (god damn warwick!) so I guess things could work out if I can get a 1 in that...
No revision, felt it went okay, left out q4.

I don't need the module anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending