#Girl gamer

Scroll to see replies

any game on Steam

please

:cry2:
Reply 41
Original post by CJKay
Neither of you are gamers.

As I believe I have just proved, self-identifying as a gamer does not make you a gamer. I would estimate the number of actual girl gamers to be significantly lower in proportion to guys. It's not often you hear female voices on games like Garry's Mod or League of Legends/DoTA, or even many decent female streamers for just about anything other than, seemingly, Hearthstone.

I'm not a gamer because I don't play those **** games? Seriously? LoL sucks, I tried it a couple of times but I couldn't get into it - the game play is terrible.

I do play WoW if that's to your "standards" of a big MMO. I raid in a 25man realm first guild. Who's laughing now? :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by Aivicore
I don't see the point in drawing attention to being a "girl gamer" rather than just a "gamer". 48% of self-identified gamers are female. It's hardly a minority, but pointing it out like you think it makes you a special snowflake is a bit tiresome.

Seeing "I'm a girl :3 :3" whilst online gaming is just as annoying as "hi baby" and "lol it's a girl make me a sandwich bitch". Just play the bloody game.

Also, I'd rather talk to other gamers based on their preferences rather than their gender...

Why not? I don't see what the point is of hiding your gender when people will find out once you log on voice coms.

I don't see anything wrong with accepting currency or getting some help from people in a fictional world by using my feminine charms. People like to play with girl gamers and I'm doing them a favour by joining their groups and just being one of the guys.
Original post by Shiroyuki
I play on PS4 and PC.

Minecraft/hearthstone/sims and then watchdogs/last of us/GTA/wildstar

How about you? :biggrin:

How're you finding it, and what realm type did you plump for?

I ended up going to Hazak with a coursemate's WoW guild, was a bit dry until I started running dungeons :awesome:
Reply 44
Original post by Architecture-er
How're you finding it, and what realm type did you plump for?

I ended up going to Hazak with a coursemate's WoW guild, was a bit dry until I started running dungeons :awesome:

Ascendancy it's a PVE realm. I'm finding levelling boring it seems all MMOs have the same gameplay now, I probably won't renew my sub.
Original post by CJKay
Because the whole "gamer" term refers to a specific subset of people who spend a lot of time on gaming, not people who play a bit of The Sims after school. If everybody who ever played a game was a gamer, there wouldn't be events dedicated to them or wares dedicated to them or tech dedicated to them. An Animal Crossing "gamer" doesn't look to buy a gaming PC.

Personally, though I have spent a lot of money in the past on games and gaming equipment, and I'm still not sure I would consider myself a gamer. More an enthusiast.

As for the proportion of female LoL players...

I agree, "gamers" are people who play extensively and tend towards player-on-player games rather than exclusively story-based games, in my opinion. It's a competitive tag, in the same way kicking a football around with friends doesn't make you a footballer

Not to say that I don't welcome females playing games more and more, the quicker this becomes a genderless form of entertainment the better!
Ascendancy it's a PVE realm. I'm finding levelling boring it seems all MMOs have the same gameplay now, I probably won't renew my sub.

Have you done a dungeon yet? The lowest level ones have more difficulty in them than heroic WoW dungeons, in fact even more than a lot of raids

That's where I found the interest, because I agree that the leveling is the same old tedium, if not worse ever since WoW revamped their questing style
Reply 47
Have you done a dungeon yet? The lowest level ones have more difficulty in them than heroic WoW dungeons, in fact even more than a lot of raids

That's where I found the interest, because I agree that the leveling is the same old tedium, if not worse ever since WoW revamped their questing style

Yeah I have I'm not really sold on the combat game play though. One thing I hate about the game as a whole as well is how cartoony it is, I know it's set in space etc but some of the races look terrible. I like my games Serious and Lore oriented. JKJK :wink:

WoW is like the coca cola of the MMO world so I'm still loyal to that game - to the very end. :biggrin:
It bugs me to see things like this because I know that not every girl does it, but it annoys me to see all these memes that girls create about being a gamer girl - no one cares. I play the Xbox but I don't go blabbing it to everyone I meet in the hope of praise for being a girl and playing CoD or whatever - it's annoying to see, "No, I don't play xbox to get your number, I play to beat you" etc... It's really cheesy an unnecessary.
Yeah I have I'm not really sold on the combat game play though. One thing I hate about the game as a whole as well is how cartoony it is, I know it's set in space etc but some of the races look terrible. I like my games Serious and Lore oriented. JKJK :wink:

WoW is like the coca cola of the MMO world so I'm still loyal to that game - to the very end. :biggrin:

Haha yeah I understand, I ended up dislocating from my previous WoW guilds because I had been absent for quite a while, but if I can't commit enough hours to hardcore raid with this Wildstar guild I might lose interest as well - purely because I don't like raiding with total randomers
I agree, "gamers" are people who play extensively and tend towards player-on-player games rather than exclusively story-based games, in my opinion. It's a competitive tag, in the same way kicking a football around with friends doesn't make you a footballer

I disagree. Are you saying that professional gamers are the only people that can call themselves 'gamers'? That would be the only way your footballer comparison makes sense. If you play games, you're a gamer. There are just different sub categories that describe what kind of gamer people are.

Some people only really like single player games, because they have no desire to play against other people. If they're buying the majority of new single player games, I'm not sure why they wouldn't be classified as a gamer.

The type of gamer you're describing is a hardcore gamer.
(edited 9 years ago)

Not to say that I don't welcome females playing games more and more, the quicker this becomes a genderless form of entertainment the better!

Yeah, but what about people who don't have a good enough Internet connection to play online? What about open world games that you can sink dozens of hours into? What about people who replay story games over and over again to get different endings?
Reply 52
Original post by desdemonata
Yeah, but what about people who don't have a good enough Internet connection to play online? What about open world games that you can sink dozens of hours into? What about people who replay story games over and over again to get different endings?

They are casual's my dear, casual's.
Original post by A5ko
They are casual's my dear, casual's.

You mean "casuals", and what's casual about spending just as many hours playing as a hardcore gamer, just not in online multiplayer? Pfft.
Reply 54
No, you have to have the apostrophe!

It's not about time spent, it's about pwnage handed out.
Original post by CJKay
Because the whole "gamer" term refers to a specific subset of people who spend a lot of time on gaming, not people who play a bit of The Sims after school. If everybody who ever played a game was a gamer, there wouldn't be events dedicated to them or wares dedicated to them or tech dedicated to them. An Animal Crossing "gamer" doesn't look to buy a gaming PC.

Personally, though I have spent a lot of money in the past on games and gaming equipment, and I'm still not sure I would consider myself a gamer. More an enthusiast.

As for the proportion of female LoL players...

Yeah but neither of the girls said they "only played a bit", they just didn't meet your personal criteria of "gamer" which seems to be a specific set of games. I could get home and play hours and hours of Skyrim or ME or DAO, doesn't make me any less of a gamer than someone who sits down at their computer and plays DoTa.

Why is there all this bull**** surrounding being a gamer and "oooh I'm not a gamer", ffs, it's not a profession. There isn't a specific certificate you need for this title. Being a gamer means you play videogames and/or online MMORPGs, that's literally all it should connote. And it is so common now to have a console, so people have migrated into "you're not a real gamer unless you're PC master race!!", because somehow it offends people to not try to be exclusive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by A5ko
No, you have to have the apostrophe!

It's not about time spent, it's about pwnage handed out.

Sounds like a bs criteria to me :h:
Reply 57
Original post by desdemonata
Sounds like a bs criteria to me :h:

This whole thread is bs.

The fact ANYONE can get wound up over such a meaningless title is a little concerning. Should it have even got to the stage where people are feeling the need to justify themselves as 'gamers'?

The internet is one big source for trolling and any excuse to wind people up is taken.
Original post by katbob
Are you a guy on the outside but a girl on the inside?

No, i was just wondering whether or not you would be a girl gamer if you identified yourself as a girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NathanW18
I disagree. Are you saying that professional gamers are the only people that can call themselves 'gamers'? That would be the only way your footballer comparison makes sense. If you play games, you're a gamer. There are just different sub categories that describe what kind of gamer people are.

Some people only really like single player games, because they have no desire to play against other people. If they're buying the majority of new single player games, I'm not sure why they wouldn't be classified as a gamer.

The type of gamer you're describing is a hardcore gamer.

Not at all, you could play football for a local team, or your university, or any 5-a-side league thing and you'd be a footballer, someone who plays football, in my eyes.

It's a clumsy comparison, but I think that the term "gamer" is often incorrectly claimed by people who play a lot of phone apps and other relatively idle games - you're right about someone who plays challenging single player games though

Quick Reply

Latest