The Student Room Group

I feel like I've messed up all the exams I've done so far

I guess I just needed somewhere to rant about this and I want to hear other people's opinions about my problem. So for the last month, I have been taking AS exams for English, Maths, Further Maths and Law. Most of them are done by now but I've still got 3 more exams to go. I've been predicted good grades for all of these subjects, I've gotten good scores in my mock exams and I've been revising really hard for them. But the problem is that I don't feel confident when I come out of the exams, with the exception of Pure Core 1. All I can think about is all the things I've done wrong on the papers and that just because I've been achieving alright in my mocks, it doesn't mean I'm guaranteed to get a great result in the end. I guess I won't find out until results day, but I am losing sleep the night before the exams because I'm getting so worked up about them even if I've done a lot of preparation for them. I hope I'm just thinking too much into this, since the same happened with I was taking my GCSEs as well. I revise really hard for all of my exams, but I just feel like I never feel confident about them.
Original post by fallinmydreams
I guess I just needed somewhere to rant about this and I want to hear other people's opinions about my problem. So for the last month, I have been taking AS exams for English, Maths, Further Maths and Law. Most of them are done by now but I've still got 3 more exams to go. I've been predicted good grades for all of these subjects, I've gotten good scores in my mock exams and I've been revising really hard for them. But the problem is that I don't feel confident when I come out of the exams, with the exception of Pure Core 1. All I can think about is all the things I've done wrong on the papers and that just because I've been achieving alright in my mocks, it doesn't mean I'm guaranteed to get a great result in the end. I guess I won't find out until results day, but I am losing sleep the night before the exams because I'm getting so worked up about them even if I've done a lot of preparation for them. I hope I'm just thinking too much into this, since the same happened with I was taking my GCSEs as well. I revise really hard for all of my exams, but I just feel like I never feel confident about them.

It's natural when you're stressed and aspiring for high grades to focus on all the things you missed out, but try and remember that examiners mark positively - they mark what's there, not what isn't there.

I agree with you when you say you're thinking too much into it! You've clearly done the revision, so all you need to do is try and relax before an exam (I know it's easier said than done).

I did my AS exams last year and had a mild panic attack in one of them, and still came out with 4 A grades. This time around, I feel it's really helped to completely shut all my revision books and notes about 2 hours before an exam and just watch a film or something (I was sat watching the Inbetweeners in my car before my exam yesterday haha).

I'm a perfectionist too but I can almost guarantee you're being far more critical of your exam performance than the examiners will be.

Good luck for your remaining exams :smile:
Original post by auralay
It's natural when you're stressed and aspiring for high grades to focus on all the things you missed out, but try and remember that examiners mark positively - they mark what's there, not what isn't there.

I agree with you when you say you're thinking too much into it! You've clearly done the revision, so all you need to do is try and relax before an exam (I know it's easier said than done).

I did my AS exams last year and had a mild panic attack in one of them, and still came out with 4 A grades. This time around, I feel it's really helped to completely shut all my revision books and notes about 2 hours before an exam and just watch a film or something (I was sat watching the Inbetweeners in my car before my exam yesterday haha).

I'm a perfectionist too but I can almost guarantee you're being far more critical of your exam performance than the examiners will be.

Good luck for your remaining exams :smile:

Thank you! :smile: It's nice to know that there are people out there who understands what I'm going through. I come out of several exams feeling like I'm failed it, and it really doesn't help when people in my class coming out of the exams and saying how easy they were. There are a few exams that I don't completely feel confident with during my revision, but I just hope that my hard work pays off at the end when I go and pick up my results on results day.

I think my main problem is that I never felt this anxious and worried about my exam results when I was doing my GCSEs, maybe I had too much exams going on back then so that I didn't really think about how well I've done until I've finished all of my exams. Ever since I started year 12, I worry quite a lot about minor things and sometimes even compare myself to my friends because I just really want to do well, you know? Plus, I've been revising for exams ever since the start of April, I didn't do an excessive amount of studying back then but right now I'm just loosing motivation to revise. I'm one of the last few people to finish my exams (My first one began on 14th May and my last one is on 24th June), so my revision had been going on for a long time and it really doesn't help that I have to go back from my study leave on Monday to start A2 courses even if I haven't finished my exams yet. :s-smilie:
I might be wrong here but, this is the main difference between GCSE and A level. At GCSE you feel like you haven't done well and you miss out on your A*, at A level you feel like you've done poorly then you've probably actually ****ed it like C,D,E,U. Hope you have done alright and I am wrong though
Don't worry. That just means you'll be bringing the grade boundaries down. You're a hero. :smile:
Oh well, it's not like they affect the rest of your life... oh wait
It wasn't like I didn't know the difference between GCSE and A Level before I started year 12, I've actually taken a full A Level course in year 9 and 10 and got an overall of B in it. At the time I wasn't actually that stressed out about the preparation and exams, but maybe it's because I know the importance of A Level now? I just really don't to fail my exams, and when I come out of the exams and don't feel confident about them, it really doesn't help when I try to study for my other exams. I guess I'm just worrying too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found that if i thought id done rubbish in an exam, then it actually turned out that id done well in them. So you have probably done better than you think.
Thank you! :smile: It's nice to know that there are people out there who understands what I'm going through. I come out of several exams feeling like I'm failed it, and it really doesn't help when people in my class coming out of the exams and saying how easy they were. There are a few exams that I don't completely feel confident with during my revision, but I just hope that my hard work pays off at the end when I go and pick up my results on results day.

I think my main problem is that I never felt this anxious and worried about my exam results when I was doing my GCSEs, maybe I had too much exams going on back then so that I didn't really think about how well I've done until I've finished all of my exams. Ever since I started year 12, I worry quite a lot about minor things and sometimes even compare myself to my friends because I just really want to do well, you know? Plus, I've been revising for exams ever since the start of April, I didn't do an excessive amount of studying back then but right now I'm just loosing motivation to revise. I'm one of the last few people to finish my exams (My first one began on 14th May and my last one is on 24th June), so my revision had been going on for a long time and it really doesn't help that I have to go back from my study leave on Monday to start A2 courses even if I haven't finished my exams yet. :s-smilie:

Well the people who think they've done well are so much more vocal than those who think they've done badly, so it's a bit of a biased sample!

You sound really similar to me in terms of comparing yourself to others, it literally could've been me typing this a year ago so I really empathise. I've just finished A2 and the exams do get harder (sorry) but it is bearable.

Anyway I hope thing are going a bit better for you now. I'll have my fingers crossed for both myself and you come results day :tongue:
Original post by auralay
Well the people who think they've done well are so much more vocal than those who think they've done badly, so it's a bit of a biased sample!

You sound really similar to me in terms of comparing yourself to others, it literally could've been me typing this a year ago so I really empathise. I've just finished A2 and the exams do get harder (sorry) but it is bearable.

Anyway I hope thing are going a bit better for you now. I'll have my fingers crossed for both myself and you come results day :tongue:

I've got my last exam on Tuesday, so I'm feeling better about my exams now, since I'm nearly done with them :smile:

Thank you, and good luck to you too! :smile:
I'm in a very similar position to you. Just feel like all of my exams (apart from core 1) haven't gone as well as what they should have. I know I'm capable of doing better and it makes me so upset every time I think about them, which is a lot.

But anyway, I have my last exam tomorrow too. And after that the best thing we can do is try to forget about it. I know it's difficult but at the end of the day worrying won't change the result in that envelope.

Good luck, and I'm sure things have gone better than you think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No point worrying about it, what's done is done.

Quick Reply

Latest