The Student Room Group

Any happy ending stories from depressed people who considered suicide?

Like the title states. Has anyone who'd been through depression and once considered suicide, and now happy with their lives willing to share their story?
I attempted it, I didn't do it properly and I'm still alive and here. I picked myself up and got on with life and was fine for 5 years. I wish I could say I had a happy ending but I've now become overwhelmed with darkness again, so unfortunately no happy ending as of yet but I'll pick myself up as I always do.
Original post by Anonymous
Like the title states. Has anyone who'd been through depression and once considered suicide, and now happy with their lives willing to share their story?

I am not necessarily 100% happy but I am getting there. I was in a bad place a year ago and made several attempts to take my life. The response I got to this was both disturbing and moving, I obviously survived but had a lot of distraught people to comfort afterwards. The first time I saw a friend after my suicide attempt she burst into tears without saying a word. This made me try and turn my life around. With the help of my friends and a counsellor or two I am back in school again and feeling ready to face the world. I am not going to say the cliched 'it gets better' because there will always be good times and bad times and I know I am nowhere near out of the rough but suicide isn't the way out trust me, please. Hope everyone is well
Reply 3
I attempted it, I didn't do it properly and I'm still alive and here. I picked myself up and got on with life and was fine for 5 years. I wish I could say I had a happy ending but I've now become overwhelmed with darkness again, so unfortunately no happy ending as of yet but I'll pick myself up as I always do.

I'm a bit confused what thread declined means when this thread exists. Ah wells better keep quiet.

I'm sorry to hear that. What keeps driving you onward to pick yourself up? Do you have something to live for?
I guess I can give you a success story. I attempted suicide in the past too. I'm really glad I failed. I've found medication and therapy which works for me and I haven't been in the black pit of despair for a couple of years now. I got married, now live with the most fantastic wife imaginable, I haven't got a job yet but that's the next step and I'm looking forward to starting working. Then there's kids to think about in the future too, which I'm excited about too. I realize a couple of years without depression doesn't seem that long but I'm really praying that my happiness continues. So many things are going right in my life and I'm enjoying living the way I am - when I was depressed I never thought things could improve this much.
I attempted but am also glad I didn't succeed. I'm not happy yet but I can see now that I will be one day! This won't last forever!
I have contemplated it, but I am still alive, and I am going to make my next stage in recovery very shortly. Stay strong my friend. :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you all for your responses, they were most appreciated. I'm going to try my best to move on and I hope everyone finds happiness too :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you all for your responses, they were most appreciated. I'm going to try my best to move on and I hope everyone finds happiness too :smile:

Moving on is honestly the most rewarding step ever. When you're in the moment you think it's the best choice ever to end it all, but once you look back you realise that it isn't and you learn to appreciate life a lot more. I won't go into details but I realised that being upset and seeing the negatives in life wasn't helping me, nor was it doing my health any good. I feel much happier now. Life can kick at you sometimes, but you have to push it away and focus on the rewards. Life's beautiful, you just have to look past the flaws. I'm here if you ever need to talk, just PM me :smile:
I tried to commit suicide this time around a year ago (but I couldn't even do that right :wink: ) I never thought it would ever get better because the problem was not my life, I always knew I was lucky to have a reasonably good life, but me. And I would always be me.

But you know what Ive realised this past year is that, yes I am really rubbish, but everyone is really rubbish, some are just better at hiding it. But everyone is just as stupid/insecure/selfish/generally crap as I am.

In this past year, Ive moved to the south of France, made some amazing friends, made the most of some amazing sunshine and generally had a good time. I could not ever ever possibly imagine my life the way it is now a year ago, nor imagine that I could ever feel happy or secure again, especially so quickly, but (most of the time) I do.

Stay strong, you will look back on now as nothing more that one small, dark chapter in what will be the generally happy and successful story of your life
I attempted when I was younger. Now I'm in a loving long term relationship, a course I love at university which I'm getting firsts in, good friends and family, a job. Life's just pretty dandy. :smile:

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to a few things, to other people certain achievements will be like 'oh wow well done' and to me they are like 'meh'. My sixth form gave that mentality and attitude that if you didn't get into a 'good university' you're screwed. I hated sixth form, I felt uninspired and my 6th form director just didn't like me. I also chose the wrong A Levels.

I attempted after I received my A Level results, they weren't up to scratch and I missed my University offer and I was ridiculously upset, I did try to do well(clearly not my best effort) but I couldn't get myself together during A Levels as I was struggling with my depression. I saw various psychologists, a few psychiatrists via the NHS CMHT and via paying privately but nothing seemed to really work.

I decided to just go cold turkey from therapy as it kept bringing stuff up that was difficult to deal with. Fast forward past 2 gap years trying to get my **** together and discover that life wasn't actually over.

I managed to get into University onto a course I wanted to do, pulled off a first class average for my first two years coming in the top % in my second year, managed to secure a competitive industrial placement and I honestly am enjoying life so far, just taking everything as it comes and i've become a little more resistant to people trying to put me down.

I still have my moments of being down now and again but it only seems to come when I have pressure due to my own poor planning i.e leaving essays til last minute and knowing I want a good grade and feeling like I will fail. I also removed a lot of people from the picture who weren't being a positive influence. It's been a crazy turnaround for me but i'm glad its for the better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Considered it a few years ago. The only thing that stopped me was the police turning up. That was a really crap few weeks. I have no recollection of the next few days. It seemed to just be a big blur to me.

To make everything slightly worse, I lived in halls at the time; so my hallmates were sort of aware of what was going on. They would not drop the subject of me getting help (in hindsight, I should have taken up the offer of going to A&E when the police turned up) and my depression.
Used to think about suicide daily, but over the past 3 years I've discovered for myself a life purpose, friends and even for a time a girlfriend, which I thought I'd never have. I have moulded myself into a person whom I love, and others love me too. Although my life is still difficult in some respects, I've turned it into a life worth living.
Have thought about it many times,,so many times in fact that i eventually realised that it is almost a normal part of life linked with troughs. But then life picks up,life gets better for a while and i move on. After each peak and trough i became more resilient and now i just visualise those bad feelings as a little devil on my shoulder, poking and teasing me with his trident. I brush him off,laugh him off and move on because thats all there is to do..

Quick Reply

Latest