The Student Room Group

Student bank accounts

So this might sound stupid but, when do you apply for/get your student bank account(I don't mean student finance, I mean from Barclays etc.)?
Original post by Roloing_around
So this might sound stupid but, when do you apply for/get your student bank account(I don't mean student finance, I mean from Barclays etc.)?

You should get one in August, as that is when banks have all their benefits with the accounts.
Original post by Knalchemist
You should get one in August, as that is when banks have all their benefits with the accounts.

Thank you. What sort of benefits are normally on offer? and what else should I look for in the account?
Original post by Roloing_around
Thank you. What sort of benefits are normally on offer? and what else should I look for in the account?

once your offer is unconditional, so after results day. And previous benefits have included a railcard, tastecard, travel insurance, music downloads, NUS extra card. They can change each year though and you'll know mid August which banks are offering what. All offer an interest free overdraft.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
once your offer is unconditional, so after results day. And previous benefits have included a railcard, tastecard, travel insurance, music downloads, NUS extra card. They can change each year though and you'll know mid August which banks are offering what. All offer an interest free overdraft.

Do you know anything about Santander?
http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/student-current-account/

It looks pretty decent but I'm looking for others opinions.
Original post by PC2852

I've no experience with their student account but there customer service generally is bad- they blocked access to an account of mine without even telling me and were trying to make it difficult when I wanted to close another account.
The banks do not announce their student perks until later in the year. July/August usually. They vary each year so what was offered last year may not be offered this year.
Why did SFE just send me a letter asking for my bank account details when I can only open a student account after results day?
Original post by bigjeffrey
Why did SFE just send me a letter asking for my bank account details when I can only open a student account after results day?

its standard protocol, they wouldn't necessarily know you couldn't
Original post by jelly1000
its standard protocol, they wouldn't necessarily know you couldn't

well it's a completely stupid idea, they also made it sound really urgent.
well it's a completely stupid idea, they also made it sound really urgent.

the thing is you don't need a student account to get student finance and its just to make sure you remember you put the details in on time

Because you don't need a student account for SFE.
If any of you are considering opening a student bank account (which you won't be able to open until after results day if you don't have an unconditional offer) look at 'moneysavingsadviser' . It will list all the student bank accounts as well as compare them- based around their overdraft and rewards, it's really helpful.

AND, don't just choose the bank based on which has the best reward+overdraft statement, consider if you'll actually use it as well. For example, iirc, LLoyds tsb offers a £32 student card (which it advertises as worth £36 when it's really not) and a £75 holiday discount- which sounds great, but when would you find the time to go on holiday? and would you go alone? If not, who would go with you and how would they pay?

Another bank offers a 'tastecard' which sounds great too, 50% off all meals or 2 for 1, but students don't normally go out because they're paying a huge amount for university and they're concerned with spending as little as possible, so the restaurants you'd want to go to (if any) won't accept the tastecard.

I know most of you would have already considered this, but just pointing it out anyway. The most useful benefit that would actually get used is the railcard from Santander.

Original post by PC2852

I'm considering Santander too, because it has the best overdraft and reward; but it does have the worst customer service with something like 43% satisfaction, different to all the other banks which have 67%+ BUT I've looked at its ratings and it has low ratings for the standard account, but high for the student account, all 5 stars. - That might be because students don't get in touch, but, there's definitely room for more research.
(edited 9 years ago)
I repeat
No one knows what the banks are offering for new students yet.
They all may offer rail cards
Or
None of them may offer rail cards
Original post by balotelli12
I repeat
No one knows what the banks are offering for new students yet.
They all may offer rail cards
Or
None of them may offer rail cards

You're wrong.

It HAS been announced.

Plus, you'll see what they offer just by looking at their site.

Santander: http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/student-current-account/

Get your facts right before giving people information.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending