The Student Room Group

The Graduate Law Job Market

Hi,

I am a mature student who has applied for both the M100 Law degree via UCAS and the CPE/GDL via lawcabs.

My best offer via UCAS was the University of Southampton and for the CPE was UCE Birmingham. I declined the CPE route and now have the choice of Soton or nowt!

Currently I am working a dead end job in accounts, sadly tapping away for £20k at the age of 27. 8 GCSE passes, 16 points at A-Level and a 2.2 in Business Studies (Imperial) haven't seemed to get me anywhere career wise!

I had pretty much made up my mind that after all the hassles of applying and getting the offers that I would not go back to study, the risks seemed too much i.e. more debt having only just paid off my original SLC loan. In recent days no doubt stimulated by the A/L buzz I am starting to change my mind again! What a fool I am - got chronic indecision!

I hear that many law grads are not able to get TC's and that a lot of them are in debt and paralegalling their way through life. Is it worth me coming back to Uni?

What I do not want is for me to 'change' become a better student, achieve that 2.1 and find that I am unemployable due to my prior academic failings.

My plan B so to speak is to send out 100 CV's to high street firms locally and beg them to take me on as a Legal Sec or an ILEX trainee with my aim to become a high street solicitor in a vocational way.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Bookie

:tsr2: Please help me!
Reply 1
Tricky one.

What sort of law are you interested in doing? Top City firm, mid-range provincial, high street? Obviously your ambitions in that regard will affect how you should approach furter study.

My gut instinct would be to avoid doing a further three years of study. Why did you turn down the CPE course?

The graduate market is tough. There are more applicants than TCs and the standard of undergrad is high. The point in your favour is your experience in industry - you will need to play on that in interviews etc.

Apols - not much help. If you can give me a little more info, I might be able to give some more specific pointers.

Chalks

Latest

Trending

Trending