The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't worry to much, I was like you too and I was terrified of the thought of driving knowing that there are some pretty scary drivers that I would be driving with.

But on my first lesson I was taken into town and I'd never sat behind the car, (the drivi test centre is 10 miles away in a different town so that's where I do my lessons, but drive to that town) so I was really surprised I could manage that first lesson. It gets better, it took me a while to get the hang of the clutch and different things spring up but I really enjoy driving and the independence, try it at least once, if you don't like it you don't have to do it :smile:
I think you should give it a go! Start slowly and then work it up. Driving could be fun.
Original post by meenu89
Nobody can be as bad as me. I only drive if there's no other option.

After passing my test 2 years ago, I feel like getting rid of my car and going back to public transport. I just spent a year paying £4 a day bus fare to college while still maintaining a car. Parking is the bane of my existence. I only keep the car because it is easier to drive my toddler to places. Feeling better yet?
Original post by iWoof
The only hard thing is roundabouts and 3 point turn.

Rather irresponsible view.

Many things are far harder eg. such avoidance of collision. Brilliant control:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9VrntC7VKA
Reply 24
Original post by sakhemamoe
After passing my test 2 years ago, I feel like getting rid of my car and going back to public transport. I just spent a year paying £4 a day bus fare to college while still maintaining a car. Parking is the bane of my existence. I only keep the car because it is easier to drive my toddler to places. Feeling better yet?

To make you feel better, atleast you have your license. I've tried driving lessons numerous times over the last 5-6 years and have just never been able to grasp it. Extremely frustrating, especially as many of the jobs I keep hoping to apply for insist on a driving license.
Difficult when you first begin but once you gain experience on the roads, it all becomes easier
Reply 26
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I want to make myself get driving lessons but I am terrified of driving. I just can't for the life of me imagine myself driving. I'm generally well coordinated so I should be able to do it, it's just all in my mind, which has a habit of screwing me over, like I will panic and do something stupid.

So erm... to anyone who can drive what was it like when you were first learning?

It's going to be difficult at first because you have a lot to learn, in the right order, etc. But once you pass, and start driving regularly - it's like riding a bike. :smile:
Original post by Butterfly92
It's going to be difficult at first because you have a lot to learn, in the right order, etc. But once you pass, and start driving regularly - it's like riding a bike. :smile:

I like the username :wink:

I've had two lessons so far and it's going ok, I think. Accidentally went into gear 1 instead of three at one point though O.o
Reply 28
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I like the username :wink:

I've had two lessons so far and it's going ok, I think. Accidentally went into gear 1 instead of three at one point though O.o

Haha, thank you! :smile:
I did that as well quite often in my driving lessons. Even after driving almost two years and getting a new car, I used to change from 1st to 4th gear lol you can imagine my poor engine was under stress haha.
Reply 29
For me, from my experience, I would say it's hard. Not the action of driving itself (i.e. being able to move the car, shift gears etc), but being safe around other drivers and having really good awareness of cars around you.

Passing the test is easy. I considered myself a bit bad at driving but breezed through my practical with just 1 or 2 minors, no problems. But I started driving literally just 4 days ago, and it has been a very scary experience. I'm really terrified. I keep getting beeped at. One guy stopped in front of me and swore at me (and he had every right). The problem is that you have to be absolutely and completely flawless. You really can't afford to make even a single mistake. It could make your insurance premium rocket sky high. Or it could result in someone dying.

That's what's hard about driving. The safety and awareness aspect. Especially when you drive with lots of traffic around on unfamiliar roads with plenty of lanes and lots and lots of cars, large complex roundabouts, complex road junctions, exits, slip roads...it's hell. My first driving experience is in a really big city, my route takes me across some really big, scary busy roundabouts. You're going to absolutely hate it for a few days at least. Hell, I'm even stalling my car so much.
I’m 15 and I’m currently learning to drive in order to get my permit soon. Let me just say that it seems scary at first, but after some practice it all becomes muscle memory. It becomes a second nature to you and it gets easier and easier every time you practice
Reply 31
it's very risky, but you have to do it if you want to move on in life so you have to put your life at risk.
but for risking your life for easier transport there's a reward and that's flexible time for your work time.
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending