The Student Room Group

C4 MEI OCR 18th June 2014 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, this is probably a silly question but due to stress I'm really struggling tonight, so please don't laugh :frown:
in binomial expansion, instead of splitting into partial fractions, expanding then summing the two expansions.. could you possibly multiply out the expansions by expanding using the negative powers for each and then just multiplying the two expansion? I'm so confused :'(
Reply 81
Original post by Billy_O'Naire
Easy!

For small values of theta

sin(theta) = theta

cos(theta) = theta

tan(theta) = theta

I thought that cos(theta) equals 1 - (theta)^2/2

Is this not the case?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Surf
I thought for cos(theta) is equals 1 - (theta)^2/2

Is this not the case?

I agree, cos(theta) is the only different one :/
I used to love C4 and I did soooo many questions. But now I feel like I've forgotten it all!!!! :frown::afraid::bawling:
Reply 84
Original post by mathematigeek
I agree, cos(theta) is the only different one :/

I'm pretty much 100% sure that that is the case....
Reply 85
Hi guys, this is probably a silly question but due to stress I'm really struggling tonight, so please don't laugh :frown:
in binomial expansion, instead of splitting into partial fractions, expanding then summing the two expansions.. could you possibly multiply out the expansions by expanding using the negative powers for each and then just multiplying the two expansion? I'm so confused :'(

I think both will give you the same answer however they may specify which method to use

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by visualcocaine
I used to love C4 and I did soooo many questions. But now I feel like I've forgotten it all!!!! :frown::afraid::bawling:

Same. I was fully prepped a month ago now I'm not so sure lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Surf
I'm pretty much 100% sure that that is the case....

YEa, I completely agree with you :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by AR_95

Posted from TSR Mobile

GUYS JUST RELAX!!!! If it is a harder paper it WILL have lower grade boundaries! You will be fine! :smile:
Original post by AR_95
I think both will give you the same answer however they may specify which method to use

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, so if they specify, then do that. If not, either will work? :/
I know this was discussed a few pages back, but how do you find the angle with the horizontal?

Sometimes you use direction vector (1,0,0) sometimes you use (0,0,1), can anyone clear that up? I'm not familiar with using the sin trig version.
Original post by AR_95

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know I know the stuff, I've just become so slow at it :frown:

Original post by Surf
GUYS JUST RELAX!!!! If it is a harder paper it WILL have lower grade boundaries! You will be fine! :smile:

*if it's a harder paper I will do worse looool :unimpressed:
Reply 92
God I'm praying for an exam like Jan 13..... please... please please!!!
Original post by Surf

I thought Jan 13 was horrible :frown: the last question completely baffled me :frown:
Reply 94
Original post by sasunerd
Oh, how is everyone checking their answers for the June 2013 paper?

This is the paper and mark scheme if you still need it
Reply 95
I thought Jan 13 was horrible :frown: the last question completely baffled me :frown:

The differential one? Do you need any help? I love the vectors and differentials..... I just hated the June 13 one though.... That's what I'm slightly concerned about!
Original post by Surf
The differential one? Do you need any help? I love the vectors and differentials..... I just hated the June 13 one though.... That's what I'm slightly concerned about!

I'd really appreciate it if you could explain part iii) to me please? :/ I've looked at the mark scheme and I dont know if there's a trick I'm missing, but I would never have got it in a million years :/ please help :frown:
Original post by Surf

Ooooo Jan 13 is an awesome paper! Haha I'm praying with you on that one.
Original post by dongleberry
I know this was discussed a few pages back, but how do you find the angle with the horizontal?

Sometimes you use direction vector (1,0,0) sometimes you use (0,0,1), can anyone clear that up? I'm not familiar with using the sin trig version.

You never use (0,0,1) you'd surely use (1,0,0) because the former would be the vertical.
Reply 99
Original post by JeanDS
has anyone done the last part of the vectors question in the june 10 paper. i don't understand why its 90-theta?

Don't fully rely on this, I've only just looked at the last bit of the question really, but here's my take on it;

vector pipe.jpg

You've found the angle between your line and the normal to the plane, which is 90 degrees from the plane itself. You want the angle between the line and the actual plane, so subtract the difference of theta degrees. Hope I'm right, and that it helps xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending