The Student Room Group

Anyone else bored/frustrated out of their minds this summer

I can't be the only one who, after having started my new life at uni comes back for the summer to find your parents haven't changed one bit, still nagging as usual, you hardly know anyone in the area having been away for so long and you have absolutely nothing to do apart from look for work, eat and sleep!

It's like the feeling you would get if you came back after going away on holiday for 6 months with a group of friends who you get on really well with. I was just starting to really enjoy independent living as a student and now I have to come back to this place (I live in Kent). Now all I seem to be doing is looking for work and counting down the weeks until I can finally go back again!

Scroll to see replies

Part time job to kill time and make money?
Reply 2
I joined the gym and it's great! Even if it only is 1 hour a day it gets you out the house and doing something.

But I feel your pain, I can't wait to go back....:frown:
Reply 3
Yeah, I feel like I am just wasting my life being back at home this summer
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I have a 9-week summer ahead since we're finishing our GCSE exams next week. Lots of video games I was hoping to spend time on are only coming out in October-December!
I finished my A Levels yesterday and I'm at a loss - I don't know what to do with free time. I also have barely any money so you know, there's a limit to what I can do.
Original post by imjustrach
I finished my A Levels yesterday and I'm at a loss - I don't know what to do with free time. I also have barely any money so you know, there's a limit to what I can do.

hmm up for a wee cheap trip abroad...dying to get outta my house myself after the bad news today:I
Original post by matt375
I can't be the only one who, after having started my new life at uni comes back for the summer to find your parents haven't changed one bit, still nagging as usual, you hardly know anyone in the area having been away for so long and you have absolutely nothing to do apart from look for work, eat and sleep!

It's like the feeling you would get if you came back after going away on holiday for 6 months with a group of friends who you get on really well with. I was just starting to really enjoy independent living as a student and now I have to come back to this place (I live in Kent). Now all I seem to be doing is looking for work and counting down the weeks until I can finally go back again!

yeh do yeh sing or play or anything by any chance:?
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hmm up for a wee cheap trip abroad...dying to get outta my house myself after the bad news today:I

If the trip is £20 or less then sure :tongue: The only way I'm going abroad is if I swim the channel in my spare time.
Original post by jessicainacoma
Yeah, I feel like I am just wasting my life being back at home this summer.

sing or play:?
Original post by imjustrach
If the trip is £20 or less then sure :tongue: The only way I'm going abroad is if I swim the channel in my spare time.

haha we could do one of those daily the sun trips :P

ah...yeh sing or play then:?
Least you guys have finished :frown: I have 4 exams still, but after that it's an endless wait to see if I actually got into uni. Also struggling for things to do.
Reply 12
Original post by trustmeimlying1
yeh do yeh sing or play or anything by any chance:?

As it happens I do, I play keyboard and tiny bit of guitar too! I was actually thinking of joining a band
My house is warzone right now due to a messy divorce, so being home is tiresome. I'm off travelling for 6 weeks at the end of the month then think I'm going to move back up to my university town and see if I can get a summer job which will hopefully also see me through my final year
Original post by matt375
As it happens I do, I play keyboard and tiny bit of guitar too! I was actually thinking of joining a band

ideal Im doing a music comp if youre interested
I got a part time/full time job.
I'm going Uni this year so my friends decided that this was a great time to ditch me as they're all staying and doing a foundation year, so i knew i'd be crazy bored.

A job keeps you just about busy enough that you can't get bored and on your days off you're so tired that you can't really be bored. Plus going to the gym helps since it takes time to get there and time to get back.
Ive gotten that bored that I've actually started to study for my subjects next year. At least I will be at a bit of an advantage when I go back. Hopefully it will make the next year (AS and A2) much easier:rolleyes:
As a second year, I'M SO BORED!

After 7 exams within the space of 3 weeks I thought I would have loved this freedom but I just want it to end :frown:.

Luckily, I start my year long internship in 2 weeks.
Reply 18
Just the thought of Fresher's Week is keeping me going at the moment :rolleyes:
Uni system is so flawed with the 'summers'... they are redic long. Would be much better to spread that time over the year, then you could even get a part time job as well.

Quick Reply

Latest