The Student Room Group

This Is Thin Privilege - can any of you take it seriously?

Scroll to see replies

I love Tumblr, but I can't defend this... it's just insane
Original post by manchesterunited15
I actually commented on it saying something like "of course when you do a google image search you can't see her talent, when her talent is her voice. If you search her on youtube you will see examples of her talent rather than her weight loss" but of course it was deleted.
This is one of the worst things about the internet. People can live in their own little enclaves of bull****. Their own little forums and spaces where a specific community and moderated comments sections fuction to basically ensure they can circle jerk their own world views on whatever subject uninterrupted.

Original post by Zürich
This is the logical conclusion of decades of left wing victim politics really, everybody wants in on the act. Personal responsibility seems to be out of vogue in all areas.
100% with you on this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fizzel
This is one of the worst things about the internet. People can live in their own little enclaves of bull****. Their own little forums and spaces where a specific community and moderated comments sections to basically ensure they can circle jerk their own world views on whatever subject uninterrupted.

100% with you on this.

Checking Comment is Free for an 'Ignorance shaming' piece erreday
"But the biggest reason (No pun intended) would be my weight. Like, about 10% of the weight concern is thinking I’m going to pop the back tire. 90% of the weight concern is other people telling me I will./ He doesn’t notice because he’s just riding along, but I’ve heard a LOT of snide comments made about us while I was on the back wheel.

People have yelled at me, “Don’t pop his tire, fatty!” and “Learn to walk yourself!”
After getting onto a bus or train, I could hear people say among themselves “No wonder she’s so fat; she doesn’t walk, she mooches a ride off of him. Poor dude! He needs to find a girlfriend who isn’t so controlling”. And another time where someone said “He really shouldn’t let her think it’s OK to be fat by letting her be lazy while they travel. He should be riding at full speed and making her run to catch up!”. Most commonly, though, it’s “I wonder how many tubes he’s gone through with her”, though the wording is different every time."

Funny as ****, thanks for sharing LOL
Reply 24
I regret clicking that link and reading comments (or whatever they are called)... Omg one person even talks about Disney fairies and pixies in relation to weight.
Whilst I don't agree with the sentiment of many of the posts on there, I can see where they're coming from.

As a person who has been both very thin and very fat (eating disorders galore, yay), I find it fairly ridiculous to even entertain the notion that being a thin person is anywhere near as difficult as being a fat person. Men are shamed for liking fat women. Fat women are shamed for trying to be sexy or enjoying their food without the condition of expressing enormous guilt and constantly striving for thinness.

Thin-shaming (or any kind of body policing) is not okay in my book, but life is definitely easier. You'll always be able to find clothes and fit into seats and have people assume you're athletic and have self-control. Plenty of people will leap to a thin person's defence if somebody mocks them, but it's more okay to laugh at fat people.

With all of this in mind, I still can't agree with blogs like this one because they allow everyone to play victim without acknowledging that in most cases, being fat is pretty much optional. I'm happy to remain fat because I adore and lust after food. Cooking and eating are two of my favourite hobbies. I'd never apologise for my gluttony because in my eyes it's like apologising for wanting more orgasms! :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Checking Comment is Free for an 'Ignorance shaming' piece erreday
Its filled with a blend middle class London victims and masochists, basically just getting off.

Another thing which pisses me off is trigger warnings. Fair enough, they started out with rape references, if someone has just been raped describing one in graphic detail is probably not the best thing for them, but they have just been extended to ridiculous things, trigger warnings for slavery, swearing, references to medical procedures. Its just going to get to a point where we've come full circle and just slap a trigger warning on life. I'd like a trigger warning on references to France because I find it mildly uncomfortable to be reminded of my B in GCSE French.
Original post by Aivicore
Whilst I don't agree with the sentiment of many of the posts on there, I can see where they're coming from.

As a person who has been both very thin and very fat (eating disorders galore, yay), I find it fairly ridiculous to even entertain the notion that being a thin person is anywhere near as difficult as being a fat person. Men are shamed for liking fat women. Fat women are shamed for trying to be sexy or enjoying their food without the condition of expressing enormous guilt and constantly striving for thinness.

Thin-shaming (or any kind of body policing) is not okay in my book, but life is definitely easier. You'll always be able to find clothes and fit into seats and have people assume you're athletic and have self-control. Plenty of people will leap to a thin person's defence if somebody mocks them, but it's more okay to laugh at fat people.

With all of this in mind, I still can't agree with blogs like this one because they allow everyone to play victim without acknowledging that in most cases, being fat is pretty much optional. I'm happy to remain fat because I adore and lust after food. Cooking and eating are two of my favourite hobbies. I'd never apologise for my gluttony because in my eyes it's like apologising for wanting more orgasms! :p:

Sure, being fat probably is more difficult than being thin. But if you don't like it (not you personally), change it. But losing weight is hard as well. Life is so hard.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Sure, being fat probably is more difficult than being thin. But if you don't like it (not you personally), change it. But losing weight is hard as well. Life is so hard.

Yeah, that's what I meant at the end of my post where I said I accept that I'm doing something out of the ordinary, so I can't exactly expect everyone to love it! :p:

But yeah, losing weight IS hard. I know I can do it if I want to, but I do feel for people who genuinely lack the self-control to do so yet can't accept themselves as is.
Victim mentality. These people feel they're being wronged by society. They feel society owes them because society is wronging them. If they could get past it and lose the weight then that would be fine, whatever. The fact that it's playing on their minds so much is just ****ing ridiculous. I've been overweight, I know what it's like to feel victimised constantly by people who use you to feed their superiority complexes. Even overweight people take the piss out of overweight people. When I was overweight my overweight aunt and brother in-law would take the piss out of me even when they knew I was dealing with an eating disorder (anorexia, though medically it's "EDNOS" but I don't agree with EDNOS; that's another story for another time). I ended up growing some balls and losing the weight - I realised I can't feel sorry for myself forever so I grew a pair, gained some self-control, lost the weight and moved on.

I hate that there's people out there who get off on self-pity like this. It gets me personally because I know how easy it is to lose the weight and start feeling just a little bit better about yourself. I've dealt with anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, body dysmorphia, bipolar and severe depression. I absolutely ****ing detest myself but seeing these people makes me realise that I don't hate myself as much as I think I do because my self-esteem is nowhere near as low as these people who feel they have to blame others for being the way they are. It's like grow a pair and get a hold of your ****ing self. I have no pity for these people. I've been in their position so my view isn't coming out of total ignorance. I can't stand it when people waste so much energy crying about insignificant things when they could use that energy to move their arses and get the results they so badly desire. If you're jealous of thin people then do something about it! Stop wallowing in self-pity because that's doing more harm than good. There's no catharsis in self-pity. :rant:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
This is the logical conclusion of decades of left wing victim politics really, everybody wants in on the act.

Personal responsibility seems to be out of vogue in all areas.

Agreed. This is self-victimisation at its finest.

Although there is an obvious difference between being fat and being a woman (you can't change the latter; you can, with a few exceptions, change the former) - the obsession with analysing every word said, every image on billboards, every cultural trope, from a viewpoint designed to affirm your own victimhood is not dissimilar to tumblr types who blog exclusively and incessantly about male privilege (or white/straight/cis/whatever-they-come-up-with-next privilege).
Original post by Fizzel
Its filled with a blend middle class London victims and masochists, basically just getting off.

Another thing which pisses me off is trigger warnings. Fair enough, they started out with rape references, if someone has just been raped describing one in graphic detail is probably not the best thing for them, but they have just been extended to ridiculous things, trigger warnings for slavery, swearing, references to medical procedures. Its just going to get to a point where we've come full circle and just slap a trigger warning on life. I'd like a trigger warning on references to France because I find it mildly uncomfortable to be reminded of my B in GCSE French.

haha, yeah I know exactly what you mean.

Common feature in Guardian/N.Stateman articles seems to be to insert pointless little anecdotes to tie the author's own experience to some form of hate crime. Laurie Penny is absolutely the worst for this, unbelievable really how it passes for journalism.
"This blog sounds angry sometimes. Don't you think your cause would be better served if you were more polite?"

Don’t tone police me, *******. Also, **** off.

:rofl2:
Original post by emy-n
It isn't as bad as this other tumblr blog :rolleyes: They really should start banning these pages

http://checkingoftheprivilege.tumblr.com
I'm just fuming from reading these ignorant posts

"23, femme-presenting queer trans non-binary two-spirit genderfluid, xe/xir/hir/xirself pronouns, pansexual, PoC (1/16th Native American), white-passing except for hijab, Muslim (convert), neuro-atypical (self-diagnosed aspergers), economically privileged, sex-positive, body-positive, vegan, sociology major, loves Disney."

You can't help but get the feeling some people just wanna be different for the sake of being different. I mean calling yourself a "person of colour" at 1/16th Native American; the whole thing reeks of victim complex. The "self-diagnosed" says it all.

What even is "two-spirit"?!?
I don't even...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 34
It's such a shame so many people go through life feeling thoroughly inadequate and victimised. It really is all about your own perception. Whenever I find myself entertaining even the most fleeting care for what others think of me I remind myself if the meme with Jack Nicholson's grinning face 'the less you give a **** the happier you'll be' lol.
God, just think of all the things she could achieve if she put the same amount of time she spends complaining about how good thin people have it into going on a diet and doing something positive in life.

"My sister told me how her boyfriend has a wall of pictures of girls in their apartment. Girls they’ve ****ed. At the top of the wall it says “No fat chicks”. She laughs at about it while telling me about the wall.
This is thin privilege."

No, that's a sexist douchebag doing something extremely creepy.

Go outside, for heaven's sake.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Daniellejo.
"23, femme-presenting queer trans non-binary two-spirit genderfluid, xe/xir/hir/xirself pronouns, pansexual, PoC (1/16th Native American), white-passing except for hijab, Muslim (convert), neuro-atypical (self-diagnosed aspergers), economically privileged, sex-positive, body-positive, vegan, sociology major, loves Disney."

You can't help but get the feeling some people just wanna be different for the sake of being different. I mean calling yourself a "person of colour" at 1/16th Native American; the whole thing reeks of victim complex. The "self-diagnosed" says it all.

If anyone ever asks me to refer to them using "xir" or "xirself", they can **** off :lol:

Literally everyone on the internet is "economically privileged", there's no need to say it.
Original post by Daniellejo.

What even is "two-spirit"?!?
I don't even...

I have a feeling that's a troll.
Original post by Meyrin
God, just think of all the things she could achieve if she put the same amount of time she spends complaining about how good thin people have it into going on a diet and doing something positive in life.

"My sister told me how her boyfriend has a wall of pictures of girls in their apartment. Girls they’ve ****ed. At the top of the wall it says “No fat chicks”. She laughs at about it while telling me about the wall.
This is thin privilege."

No, that's a sexist douchebag doing something extremely creepy.

Go outside, for heaven's sake.

How is that sexist?
As an overweight lad, I can tell you blogs like those are just full of overweight people full of what's commonly known as 'fat logic' and are trying to justify their lazy, unhealthy lifestyles.

Check out /r/fatpeoplestories on Reddit.

Quick Reply

Latest