The Student Room Group

Remarks due to grade boundaries?

Hi i need some advice, I got my AS results and i surprised myself and got 276 in Psychology (A), 269 in Biology (A), 262 in Chemistry (A) and 239 in Physics. Im not complaining its just that for Physics ive heard that you need 240 for an A so it means im only 1 mark (0.3%). Shall i get a remark? Ive also heard that the grade boundries depend on each subject (so then how can it be the 240 UMS point A standard????) Ive heard that you need less than 240 UMS to get an A in Physics- is this true??
Im confused, please help. Thankyou....
Reply 1
You need 240 for an A in any subject, not just Physics. This is calculated using the UMS system and for AS levels 240/300 (80%) always equals an A grade. If you think you deserve an A, and came out of the exam feeling confident you had acheived an A, then I would certainly apply for a remark.
Reply 2
Hiya, i'd say that because its the AS year there isn't much point getting a remark because u can make up that extra mark next year.
That said, i was 1 mark off an A in french last year and i ended up 4 marks short of an A in my A2 year, so maybe asking you teacher would be the best option
go for it. what have you got to loose?
Reply 4
Check your individual paper marks and if one is particularly low or one is a bit off compared to how you thought it went then get a remark or do a retake to ease the pressure for A2s
Reply 5
Well im not doing A2 Physics next year so i cant regain the marks next year. The weird thing is, is that i didnt even finish the test papers!! I felt i screwed up! I got 80% in both exams (exactly) but 79% in my coursework- I hope i can get the coursework remarked.... But you have to realise 0.3% off an A is a little infuriating. But you guys are right- what have i got to loose from a remark?! after all the grade can only go up!:confused: :rolleyes:
That happened to me in History, I was one mark off a B (209) in my AS results yday and I don't know whether to get some of the exam remarked or to just do a retake in january. If they give it lower marks than the first time are only those marks valid?
Reply 7
Ive been told that your mark can only go up or stays the same. I think that works for both retakes and remarks 99% sure.
Reply 8
Actually the grade can go down - I know someone who's did, but it won't go down enough to change your grade from a b to a c so it's worth it

Latest