The Student Room Group

Midwifery applicants 2015/16

Hey everyone,

Long story short, I applied to study midwifery for the 2014 intake although I got 5 rejections and so now I am taking a gap year. I just wanted to know who is going to apply for midwifery in 2015 and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SoniaTwizere
Hey everyone,

Long story short, I applied to study midwifery for the 2014 intake although I got 5 rejections and so now I am taking a gap year. I just wanted to know who is going to apply for midwifery in 2015 and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I am!!! I'm currently in my second year of a biology degree but applying to do midwifery for after that.
Really want to go to King's! But going to apply to other London uni's too but not completely sure of the best ones yet, maybe city, west London, South bank...
What about you?
Also what work experience had you done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Catherineoq
Yes I am!!! I'm currently in my second year of a biology degree but applying to do midwifery for after that.
Really want to go to King's! But going to apply to other London uni's too but not completely sure of the best ones yet, maybe city, west London, South bank...
What about you?
Also what work experience had you done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! How's the biology degree going? I heard King and West London are really good universities for Midwifery . I'm planning to apply for Surrey, Liverpool Johh Moores, Worcester and I keep changing my mind about the other two haha!

I have no experience at all, but I'm applying for healthcare and maternity support jobs for my gap year. Although if I have no luck by August the latest I plan to volunteer in a hospital. Yourself Hun? Ps I'm not sure if you're already a user but SMNET (student midwife.net) is a really good website with loads of students wanting to apply, students who are in first year of midwifery, midwives etcetera x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Oh wow! How's the biology degree going? I heard King and West London are really good universities for Midwifery . I'm planning to apply for Surrey, Liverpool Johh Moores, Worcester and I keep changing my mind about the other two haha!

I have no experience at all, but I'm applying for healthcare and maternity support jobs for my gap year. Although if I have no luck by August the latest I plan to volunteer in a hospital. Yourself Hun? Ps I'm not sure if you're already a user but SMNET (student midwife.net) is a really good website with loads of students wanting to apply, students who are in first year of midwifery, midwives etcetera x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah biology is really hard! But I'm hoping it might aid my application and help me in the long run ☺️
Ah that sounds good!
The experience thing might have been why you weren't accepted first time round just from reading lots of forums. Yeah I've had a look at SMNET and am a member but don't look at it that regularly tbh.
Good luck with getting jobs for your gap year!! I'm guessing you're in year 13 then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah biology is really hard! But I'm hoping it might aid my application and help me in the long run ☺️
Ah that sounds good!
The experience thing might have been why you weren't accepted first time round just from reading lots of forums. Yeah I've had a look at SMNET and am a member but don't look at it that regularly tbh.
Good luck with getting jobs for your gap year!! I'm guessing you're in year 13 then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no! I was thinking to do biology during my gap year haha.. Yeah it will definitely help with your application form! ☺️ all my rejections were due to my PS, but getting experience will help my PS and me. Oh I see hunnie. Thank you so much!! Good luck with finishing biology, I'm sure you'll do great! Yes I am☺️ I am guessing your 21/22?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ah that sounds good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's wrong calculations 19/20?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Oh no! I was thinking to do biology during my gap year haha.. Yeah it will definitely help with your application form! ☺️ all my rejections were due to my PS, but getting experience will help my PS and me. Oh I see hunnie. Thank you so much!! Good luck with finishing biology, I'm sure you'll do great! Yes I am☺️ I am guessing your 21/22?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah first year was okay but second year has got harder! What kinda biology were you guna look at it in your gap year?
Oh yeah definitely! Good luck, hope you get something! Have you tried emailing your local NCT group? I did that and volunteer at a bumps babies and beyond class which is so good!
Yeah I'll be 21 this September ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have an offer this year and have started a blog about how I got there if anyone is interested in reading it http://someonepassthegasandair.wordpress.com/
Reply 8
Yeah first year was okay but second year has got harder! What kinda biology were you guna look at it in your gap year?
Oh yeah definitely! Good luck, hope you get something! Have you tried emailing your local NCT group? I did that and volunteer at a bumps babies and beyond class which is so good!
Yeah I'll be 21 this September ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can only imagine things get harder as the years go on.. I'm not sure at all! I want to a biology course that I won't find too difficult. Aww thank you hunnie! Same with you hope everything goes well! I went to a meeting last year.. I'm not too sure what I should email them asking? How was it? Awww!! Happy early birthday for September!!☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by louisechurch
I have an offer this year and have started a blog about how I got there if anyone is interested in reading it http://someonepassthegasandair.wordpress.com/

Thank you for the link! This well be helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can only imagine things get harder as the years go on.. I'm not sure at all! I want to a biology course that I won't find too difficult. Aww thank you hunnie! Same with you hope everything goes well! I went to a meeting last year.. I'm not too sure what I should email them asking? How was it? Awww!! Happy early birthday for September!!☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask them if you can volunteer at any of the local groups within NCT and just see if they reply really. The one I got to do was amazing! It was a group for new mums to bring their babies to and mums to be as well. There was a breast feeding counsellor there too and everyone just chatted amongst themselves and I got to here about their baby's development and even part of their birthing experience! Got some little cuddles too ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ask them if you can volunteer at any of the local groups within NCT and just see if they reply really. The one I got to do was amazing! It was a group for new mums to bring their babies to and mums to be as well. There was a breast feeding counsellor there too and everyone just chatted amongst themselves and I got to here about their baby's development and even part of their birthing experience! Got some little cuddles too ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! That sounds so amazing! I will contact my local ones soon! I don't know whether to wait till I move houses before I contact them! The volunteer work I had done was just for a day.. It wasn't really volunteering but more like I just sat down while they discussed events etctera! Love baby cuddles☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I also applied this year to do midwifery but like you I also received 5 rejections mainly due to lack of experience and my personal statement!
I'm looking at applying to Suffolk, Coventry, Northampton, Canterbury and possibly Brighton but I need to attend the open days again to make sure!
I'm looking at volunteering in my local hospital but not really sure where to start with it as I want to focus on exams but I know work experience is just as valuable!
I'm starting a placement at a school this week as I got told I just need as much experience with different age ranges as possible!
I know this probably isn;t much help but I know what you are going through with receiving the 5 rejections! :smile:
Original post by gemma-t96
Hi,
I also applied this year to do midwifery but like you I also received 5 rejections mainly due to lack of experience and my personal statement!
I'm looking at applying to Suffolk, Coventry, Northampton, Canterbury and possibly Brighton but I need to attend the open days again to make sure!
I'm looking at volunteering in my local hospital but not really sure where to start with it as I want to focus on exams but I know work experience is just as valuable!
I'm starting a placement at a school this week as I got told I just need as much experience with different age ranges as possible!
I know this probably isn;t much help but I know what you are going through with receiving the 5 rejections! :smile:

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply hunnie! Sorry to hear about your 5 rejections. The feeling is so horrible!😔 the uni options sounds great! I'm thinking of Suffolk as one of my options too! This is definitely a hard time to volunteer while doing exams.. What I'm planning to do is volunteer one day a week at a hospital until summer and do more days.. Also try applying for healthcare assistant jobs on the NHS website! Yeah definitely getting as much experience with different ages and different Settings will look great! Have a look at 'plan my gap year' they organise a two week placement in different countries.. Cost £300+ would have done it but don't have the money right now😔 it means a lot to have someone else who knows what I'm going through and believe me it helps! Thank you hunnie! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!!
I know its such a horrible feeling but at least it means we can learn from what was missing and hopefully be more successful next time round! Suffolk looks such a nice university, it would have been my top choice if I would have got any offers! :')
Yeah I need to wait till I'm 18 before applying to the hospital for volunteering/ work experience but I have signed up to the NHS website anyway ready for when I can apply for jobs there!
I did look at plan my gap year but right now, like you I don't have the money to afford it otherwise it would have been such a good opportunity, my friend is going to Ghana for a month to volunteer out there. I would have gone too if I had the money! :smile: x
I'll be applying for 2015!!! :biggrin:
Hi all,

I'm applying for Midwifery in September 2015 too!

Currently on an Adult Foundation course which is like a GCSE year for adults. I've just been accepted on to the Access to Nursing and Midwifery course starting September 2014. So excited and then in October University applications go in! Nervous. Looking at applying to Cardiff, University of South Wales, Swansea, Bristol and Leeds.

Rhi x
Hi everyone!
I'm applying for 2015 too :smile: will graduate the OU next July with BSc Biology, just started voluntary work, currently volunteer at my local baby sensory group, google and see if one is in your area you get to speak to the mums and interact with the babies! I found it really difficult getting hospital or maternity experience, I live in rotherham so all my local hospitals eg Sheffield are teaching hospitals and they prioritize the student nurses and midwives but I contacted my local GP surgeries and have a week shadowing the nurses (hopefully the midwives too) at a GP surgery, so might be worth a shot if you can't get into a hospital :smile:
xxx
Original post by sunshine25
Hi everyone!
I'm applying for 2015 too :smile: will graduate the OU next July with BSc Biology, just started voluntary work, currently volunteer at my local baby sensory group, google and see if one is in your area you get to speak to the mums and interact with the babies! I found it really difficult getting hospital or maternity experience, I live in rotherham so all my local hospitals eg Sheffield are teaching hospitals and they prioritize the student nurses and midwives but I contacted my local GP surgeries and have a week shadowing the nurses (hopefully the midwives too) at a GP surgery, so might be worth a shot if you can't get into a hospital :smile:
xxx

This is basically the same as me! I'm at Leicester university studying Biological Sciences BSc. Got a few bits of work experience with NCT, worked in a nursery, shadowed a midwife at a GP Surgery and did get some experience in obstetrics and gynaecology whilst in sixth form.
Where are you looking to apply?
Have you started your personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemma-t96
Hi!!
I know its such a horrible feeling but at least it means we can learn from what was missing and hopefully be more successful next time round! Suffolk looks such a nice university, it would have been my top choice if I would have got any offers! :')
Yeah I need to wait till I'm 18 before applying to the hospital for volunteering/ work experience but I have signed up to the NHS website anyway ready for when I can apply for jobs there!
I did look at plan my gap year but right now, like you I don't have the money to afford it otherwise it would have been such a good opportunity, my friend is going to Ghana for a month to volunteer out there. I would have gone too if I had the money! :smile: x

Hey! That is very true, I really hope we are successful next year! Really don't want to take another gap year I'll be really upset😩😢 it really does! Aww Hun! Don't worry it can be your first choice for next years intake! Aww you're not 18 yet? When do you turn 18? The NHS website always has jobs going, it's just the fact of reviving an emailing saying you can do the maths and English😔 it's a shame isn't it? But there is always NHS jobs and volunteering! Aww no way, does she want to be a midwife? Wish her good luck!! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending