The Student Room Group

Mega A Level Maths Thread - Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aasvogel
FP2 - Polar Coordinates.

Area of a single loop of r=acos3theta.

Applying the formula using the limits pi/6 and 0, I get a^2pi/12, which I then double because the limits are pi/6 and -pi/6. Why is the answer then a^2pi/12?

Cos somewhere on the way you lost a 2? My best guess is the 0.5 at the front of the integral of 0.5r^2
Original post by Krollo
Just to clarify, you did remember to halve it originally?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2*0.5(integral r^2) which rules out the half?
Original post by tiny hobbit
Cos somewhere on the way you lost a 2? My best guess is the 0.5 at the front of the integral of 0.5r^2

But are you then doubling it again?
But are you then doubling it again?

The '2*0.5' part is where I double it. I find the integral from pi/6 to 0 and double it.
The '2*0.5' part is where I double it. I find the integral from pi/6 to 0 and double it.

Seeing your working would make this less of a guessing game!

My next guess is the 2 in the double angle formula went missing.
Seeing your working would make this less of a guessing game!

My next guess is the 2 in the double angle formula went missing.

Apologies, using the iPad makes things awkward.

I did indeed leave out the 2 from the double angle formula - thanks for your help, this was frying my head!
How far is everybody with C4 in class?

Also, Is FP1 a more difficult module to learn than C4 or? How long would it take to self-teach FP1? The same with FP2 & M2?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Also, Is FP1 a more difficult module to learn than C4 or? How long would it take to self-teach FP1? The same with FP2 & M2?

I've finished C4, it's horrible and I hate it and just don't understand much of it.

No clue for the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on board.

Edexcel FP1 is a lot easier than C4. Shouldn't take too long.

FP2 is harder than C4.
M2 depends on the individual, Edexcel M2 isn't too hard.
I got an offer from IMPERIAL!!!!!!!!!! My heart's racing right now!!!!!!!
Received it yesterday at 22:58 UK time, just 10 minutes after I stopped checking my email
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Received it yesterday at 22:58 UK time, just 10 minutes after I stopped checking my email

Awesome :biggrin: well done

Will have to say hello when you're in London then
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Awesome :biggrin: well done

Will have to say hello when you're in London then

Thanks!
You most certainly will have to!!

FP1 is a damn sight easier than C4, and probably C3 as well (at least on Edexcel). I'd put it in between C2 and C3 myself. It took me a couple of weeks (8 hours ish) to go through the content, and probably the same again doing past papers to get my technique up to scratch.

FP2 is a different kettle of fish completely. I'd say it's a fair bit tougher than C4. I spent 20+ hours just doing the content, and a fair bit longer doing past papers.

M2 isn't awful - probably a smidge easier than C3 imo. Probably 10 hours to learn the content. You need your M1 and C2 to be solid though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Clockwork Apple

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats👏👏.Is it chemical engineering I presume?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats👏👏.Is it chemical engineering I presume?

Yes! I thought I had posted this on the current Year 13 thread. Oops!
Thanks!!

So I'm with edexcel; I find C4 is fine, some bits I actually really enjoy, FP1 after you've completed C3 and C4 seems super easy to be honest. FP2 is the hardest maths module I've ever done. M2 can be tricky but once it clicks (like with M1) it's not so bad. So in order of difficulty from least to most I'd say FP1, C4, M2, FP2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
C4 integration:

Please can somebody help me integrate this? I've tried doing it by parts but I just get left with this huge complicated mess :frown: thank you!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425832023.946035.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
C4 integration:

Please can somebody help me integrate this? I've tried doing it by parts but I just get left with this huge complicated mess :frown: thank you!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425832023.946035.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try recognition,
Notice that the inside of the other expression is the integral of 3x squared so....
Consider y= (x^3-2)^8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Try recognition,
Notice that the inside of the other expression is the integral of 3x squared so....
Consider y= (x^3-2)^8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - I've noticed that it's the integral of the 3x^2! But I still don't know what to do...??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending