The Student Room Group

Going abroad for three months with £700 - where?

I study in London but I can't afford to stay here during the summer months, plus I'm homeless at the moment. I don't keep in contact with my parents so basically, I really need to get out of here. I just thought it's better to live in a different country and get to know another culture rather than working here in London throughout the summer and spend it all on my rent.

I've done some volunteering before and it really opened my mind in terms of ethics of volunteering, sustainability of volunteering etc.

I was actually planning to do some summer courses in London and some volunteering in England for two weeks but today I realized I might have been too ambitious with my plans - because I can't afford to stay here.

So I came up with Plan B - go abroad. My budget is around £700 for three months. I thought I could work as well.. anyway, any ideas? India, Thailand? Should I do some woofing by myself? Or stay closer, say Spain, Italy? For me, being close to a beach and having warm weather is super important. I have worked and studied really hard for one year with no break and really need some holidays.
However, three months of holidays would bore the hell out of me so I'd like to work/volunteer, too.
Original post by meaow1990
I study in London but I can't afford to stay here during the summer months, plus I'm homeless at the moment. I don't keep in contact with my parents so basically, I really need to get out of here. I just thought it's better to live in a different country and get to know another culture rather than working here in London throughout the summer and spend it all on my rent.

I've done some volunteering before and it really opened my mind in terms of ethics of volunteering, sustainability of volunteering etc.

I was actually planning to do some summer courses in London and some volunteering in England for two weeks but today I realized I might have been too ambitious with my plans - because I can't afford to stay here.

So I came up with Plan B - go abroad. My budget is around £700 for three months. I thought I could work as well.. anyway, any ideas? India, Thailand? Should I do some woofing by myself? Or stay closer, say Spain, Italy? For me, being close to a beach and having warm weather is super important. I have worked and studied really hard for one year with no break and really need some holidays.
However, three months of holidays would bore the hell out of me so I'd like to work/volunteer, too.

Portugal would be really cheap, beautiful weather, everyone speaks English and is pretty friendly. Spain is a little bit more expensive but with your budget you can try and see if anything interesting pops up. Italy I don't know as well so can't help you there, but I know it's not expensive either.
Original post by meaow1990

I think you may go to Vietnam, i found that the living cost in this country is very cheap :smile:

Quick Reply