The Student Room Group

Do religious beliefs automatically deserve respect?

Scroll to see replies

Why do you care how an animal is killed?

Isn't it infringement of its rights to force it to die without no choice?

Atheists who say beastly is wrong because apparently "animals cannot consent = rape" are hypocritical when they state that "we can kill animals but ease it from pain in that process. ARE YOU MAD? Where is its consent and so called "rights" to choose to live or be processed into meat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Latamilpoonu
I respect them.

Read old testament and torah, then come back and say "I respect it".

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eradicating
Read old testament and torah, then come back and say "I respect it".

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did but unlike muslims ,Christians and jews have changed.
I did but unlike muslims ,Christians and jews have changed.

So have Hindus have changed lol?

Stop burning yourself and use a grave. This is not the 19th century, we do not tolerate people incinerating themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop burning yourself and use a grave. This is not the 19th century, we do not tolerate people incinerating themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hindu were always nice people,we never invaded or converted anyone by force.We are the only religion in the whole world who tolerate invaders.....

Why should we change???We have more wisdom ,we invented yoga and maths without us you wouldn't have internet so calm down.

I have no time feeding a troll like you :wink:.
Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and should always have freedom to follow those beliefs. But that does not mean that those beliefs deserve respect (and certainly not automatically).

I see no reason to automatically respect someone for a personal belief that they have, that's not something that gains respect.
Hindu were always nice people,we never invaded or converted anyone by force.We are the only religion in the whole world who tolerate invaders.....

I can report you for calling me troll without no sufficient evidence.

Secondly, what has the teaching of islam got to do with integrating into western society?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
A person's right to have these beliefs should be respected. They themselves should also respect that other people may find their beliefs utterly ludicrous, respect HAS to work 2 ways. It isn't particularly fair for a religious person to find atheism or agnosticism ignorant or disrespectful, and then for them to angrily respond to an atheist criticism of faith with "How dare you belittle my religion!" It HAS to, HAS TO work both ways.

Why should we change???We have more wisdom ,we invented yoga and maths without us you wouldn't have internet so calm down.

Muslim's invented maths not hindus. Also "Yogo" lol, well that is very important isn't it...

Get your facts right,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Burning yourself isn't peaceful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muslim's invented maths not hindus. Also "Yogo" lol, well that is very important isn't it...

Get your facts right,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Muslim never invented maths,arabs tried to stole the Idea from us but they failed,look at muslim countries none of them are developed in maths,while in India we are on our way to Mars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_inventions_and_discoveries

Educate yourself first please muslim never invented anything they just did plagiarism...

"We should be greatful to Indians, who invented the number system & zero, without with no modern invention would have been possible"- Albert Eienstein

"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scie
Reply 31
I respect them.

There are plenty of wicked preachments in Christianity though.
Muslim never invented maths,arabs tried to stole the Idea from us but they failed,look at muslim countries none of them are developed in maths,while in India we are on our way to Mars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_inventions_and_discoveries

Educate yourself first please muslim never invented anything they just did plagiarism...

"We should be greatful to Indians, who invented the number system & zero, without with no modern invention would have been possible"- Albert Eienstein

"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scie

They invented numbers but not stuff like algebra, which is basically what maths is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Burning yourself isn't peaceful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woahh I don't understand how 'burning yourself' isn't peaceful. You do realise that it's once they're dead...

Posted from TSR Mobile
The right to hold a belief should be respected but the belief itself doesn't necessarily have to be respected.

We can also respect the person before they tell us their beliefs on certain things and from there I think the beliefs tend to be assess by our own world view and we decide if we respect it or not. However, not respecting a view doesn't mean you should go around disrespecting the person and being rude.
They invented numbers but not stuff like algebra, which is basically what maths is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They invented nothing just stole the Idea from Hindus...

"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made."- Albert Eienstein

Without us you wouldn't have internet or maths so please stop stealing our inventions....

Arabic ṣafira = "it was empty", ṣifr = "zero", "nothing". This was a translation of the Sanskrit word shoonya (śūnya), meaning "empty". Arabs learnt the use of zero from Indians. The concept of zero as a number and not merely a symbol for separation is attributed to India.

The concept of zero (0) came from Hindus.The symbol zero as number in Number Line was introduced in Vedic Mathematics-- Sulbha Sutram.

Many people in You tube have shown that Zero (0) is written the way it is written today from an stone engraving in Gwalior Fort.----In many Stone engravings in South Indian Temples also This can be seen.j

The "Digital System" of counting using the 10 digits was there from Vedhic period.

The modern counting system is the "Gift" of Hindus has been said by Dr.Albert Einstein.

In Purusha Suktham one canj see the reference:- "Adhya Dishta Daca Angulam"----Daca means 10---Angulam means "digits "

In European Greek System OCTAD counting system was adopted.

Arabs borrowed the Hindu Numerals,when Emperor Asoka,s kingdom was spread till the present day Iran.

USE wikipedia and make some research before taking our merits...

I won't be replying to you anymore,you are a joker...

Added to my ignore list,i have no time to waste
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't really understand what 'respecting a belief' means. In its usual context, it's a thinly veiled whine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't say maths is basically just algebra...
Original post by Chlorophile
No, but they deserve tolerance. There's no reason I should respect someone else's beliefs if I don't think they're worthy of my respect, but I should tolerate those beliefs and not attack them for it. The exception to this is if their beliefs actually harm others, in which case tolerance acceptable for obvious reasons.

Took the words out of my mouth!

Quick Reply