The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2 June 2014 thread

Scroll to see replies

I got 24 degrees for the angle
Original post by My13Roses
ah crap.

We should get method marks though.
Yea I worked out the larger angle and minused tan-1(3.8/6)
The large one was tan-1(9/6), so final answer 24 deg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 123456789012
We should get method marks though.

how many marks do you think we would have lost for that question?
Original post by laurenthurza
I got 24 degrees for the angle

Me too!!!
yay! and yeah, i got the other angle as tan^-1(3.8/6) and did 60-that angle for 28 degrees.

i did tan-1 3.8/6 but didn't take it away from anything - can you guys explain why you did this? thankyou
how many marks do you think we would have lost for that question?

2 max?
Was the answer to the statics question WxRT(10)/4
For an A* in further maths, Can I use FP2 M2 and S3, Or does the earlier S2 have to be used?
Can somebody explain how they did Q7 part A - this is the only one that completely stumped me; I basically took moments about A and then resolved parallel and perpendicularly to the beam, and ended up having to use trig identities to get anywhere near to the answer.
Also has anybody got any idea for grade boundaries? I think it could be around 62 for an A.
Reply 50
Did the friction question wrong, got 33N for the friction :frown: how many marks would I lose?
Original post by violag
Did the friction question wrong, got 33N for the friction :frown: how many marks would I lose?

If you used this correctly to work out Mu then you'd get ECF, so you'd lose one accuracy and one answer mark, maybe 2-3
There were some tricky questions, but yeah the exam wasn't too bad. Did you get any of these answers:

k=4, a=3
2ms^-1
22.5ms^-1
3.8a-----
4.9m
14.0m
WD=84.5
mew=0.190-----
U=25/12
Root(10)/4

Can't remember others.

Think I got 0.33 for acceleration and 0.156 for mu, and you didn't mention but I got 5/3mu for λ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
Can somebody explain how they did Q7 part A - this is the only one that completely stumped me; I basically took moments about A and then resolved parallel and perpendicularly to the beam, and ended up having to use trig identities to get anywhere near to the answer.
Also has anybody got any idea for grade boundaries? I think it could be around 62 for an A.

You just had to resolve vertically, take moments and then put what you got P to be in the other equation. It came to what they had. For the moments, you had to assign a letter to the length. It cancelled though! No idea about the grade boundaries I'm afraid!
Original post by rachelc142

I took moments about A, then resolved vertically, then eliminated P by rearranging two equations. I reckon grade boundaries may be something around 69/75 for A*, 61 for A.
Original post by Wombat96
Think I got 0.33 for acceleration and 0.156 for mu, and you didn't mention but I got 5/3mu for λ

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I got 0.33 and 5/3. However, I think mu=0.190 is right. Can't see many people disagreeing with my answer :/
Original post by Rob_bentley96
Was the answer to the statics question WxRT(10)/4

Yes, it was!
you make the triangle into half of a triangle and then use pythagoras with root of 9a^+6a^ to get root 111a as the hypotenuse, then use sin rule to find the angle and then take of tan-1(3.8/6), it was like 24 or something like that
It was an easy paper but at the same time dodgy, especially the impulse one and the moments one, also mistakes can arise for the projectiles one. Overall I think boundaries would be a bit lower than standard but who knows, a lot of people here are getting everything right. Also for the angle of AB and vertical, anyone else get 24 degrees?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, it was!

Yup you plug in theta and then use pythag answer was W104\dfrac{W\sqrt{10}}{4}

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending