The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

The religion of peace- yeah right, lets ban it from The West

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mockery
Well you say this, but in areas where there is only Islam it is at war with itself.

WAR HAPPENS EVERYWHERE F'S SAKE! Where in the world, tell me, where in the world is there absolutely no conflict at all?! And blaming Islam is just like blaming a rock for being a rock, it was there already many religions and even non religions cause violence. Money causes violence. Jealousy causes violence. EVERYTHING CAUSES VIOLENCE!

You guys seriously just seem to be really blind to the fact about what religion actually is, you believe that all Muslims are the same. Like all want to kill women, and do this and that when in fact this is really not true. To see that as being true makes you incredibly asinine. Do you know that Islam actually encourages scientific discovery, look at this 'It was with this understanding that the pursuit of science, especially prior to the colonization of the Muslim world, was respected in Islamic civilizations' from wikipedia.

And that last comment, 'at war with itself' that made me laugh like mad. Who isn't at war with itself. In America people are arguing about different views, southerners still argue with the northerners. Should we ban the south now? What about wars in Ireland, nothing nothing at all to do with religion. Especially Islam. But go ahead, blame Islam. Maybe it would make you guys feel a little better about your own pathetic lives to attempt to attack one whole religion because it's what some people on TV told you was the right thing to do. Absolutely pathetic.

/rant
Original post by BrainJuice
WAR HAPPENS EVERYWHERE F'S SAKE! Where in the world, tell me, where in the world is there absolutely no conflict at all?! And blaming Islam is just like blaming a rock for being a rock, it was there already many religions and even non religions cause violence. Money causes violence. Jealousy causes violence. EVERYTHING CAUSES VIOLENCE!

You guys seriously just seem to be really blind to the fact about what religion actually is, you believe that all Muslims are the same. Like all want to kill women, and do this and that when in fact this is really not true. To see that as being true makes you incredibly asinine. Do you know that Islam actually encourages scientific discovery, look at this 'It was with this understanding that the pursuit of science, especially prior to the colonization of the Muslim world, was respected in Islamic civilizations' from wikipedia.

And that last comment, 'at war with itself' that made me laugh like mad. Who isn't at war with itself. In America people are arguing about different views, southerners still argue with the northerners. Should we ban the south now? What about wars in Ireland, nothing nothing at all to do with religion. Especially Islam. But go ahead, blame Islam. Maybe it would make you guys feel a little better about your own pathetic lives to attempt to attack one whole religion because it's what some people on TV told you was the right thing to do. Absolutely pathetic.

/rant

well said :congrats:
Original post by kemosabe234
Obvious troll who's being fed garbage by the bias media - try reading a book or two before you make such an outrageous claim.

The West wouldn't be half the things it is without the aid of Islam - which made significant advances in all aspects of society. Note the word - *made*

How did Islam 'aid' advances in any aspects of society?
Just improve education and eventually religion will die out.
and tbh in 1/2 these wars I consider the west the terrorists.
our governments are massively hypocritical. We have massive armies and multiple WMD's but the second another country makes some sort of military advancement, we wade in with our tanks thinking we know best.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MC armani
How did Islam 'aid' advances in any aspects of society?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0385721404/ref=mp_s_a_1_23?qid=1402690100&sr=8-23&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

If you really want to know research it, or if you want to remain ignorant in this matter then continue doing what you're doing.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0385721404/ref=mp_s_a_1_23?qid=1402690100&sr=8-23&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

If you really want to know research it, or if you want to remain ignorant in this matter then continue doing what you're doing.

Sorry, can't tell anything from a book title. I'm a history graduate; I know plenty about the Crusades. Is there an argument you're trying to make? If so, make it here.
Reply 26
Original post by imlosingmyhead
You've left out a ton of things from your overly simplistic, irrelevant and inadequate theory, namely that the guy is just one single individual and not a billion+ people from all sorts of vastly differing backgrounds and mindsets.

China has 1.351 billion citizens- how many terrorists?
India has 1 billion citizens- how many terrorists?

Also, I would NOT say that all the countries fighting Islam or facing problems of so-called Islamic extremism are independent entities who 'do not know each other'. On the contrary, they are more often than not allied, if not in general then only when it comes to Islam in particular.

So what does Burma have to do with Pakistan and Sudan? The only thing linking them is the evil Islamic terrorists who share their evil ideas together!

That said, you might also want to put things into perspective and consider that Islam has been extant for the past 1,400 years and never once iniated a holy war against any other non-Islamic entity. Islam has suddenly turned rogue post 20th century inclusive, care to pause a bit and think why? Maybe pick up a History book or two while you're at it.

Because they didn't like the fact a parcel of land (about the size of Greater London) was given to a race of people nearly exterminated during WW2..... whilst how many countries did/does Islam cover? A little pathetic if you ask me...... yeah real great reason to cause so many problems in this world :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Obvious troll who's being fed garbage by the bias media - try reading a book or two before you make such an outrageous claim.

The West wouldn't be half the things it is without the aid of Islam - which made significant advances in all aspects of society. Note the word - *made*

Great. But what has the Muslim world done in the last 500 years?

Scientific knowledge did not originate with "Islam" as you say, it was incubated in the Muslim world, sure, because at that time the Muslim world was relatively tolerant and built on knowledge inherited from Greeks, Romans, Indians, earlier cultures.
Original post by HashimKF
we wade in with our tanks thinking we know best.

Well if you're talking in terms of Western liberal democracy and Islamic fascism, then yes, we do know best. It's incontrovertible. Find me one society built on the principles of Locke, Jefferson and Paine that subsequently fell into tyranny and misery and famine and oppression.
Original post by BrainJuice

/rant

So you've acknowledged that there are rifts and differing ideologies extrapolated from core Islamic teachings by different ethnic and regional groups of people, causing enough friction to result in bloody conflict. But that it's ok because war is sadly a common component of our history and present as a species?

You seem more concerned about preserving your image of Islam than you are about atrocious acts of violence. Maybe this mentality is what perpetuates said wars?
Original post by MC armani
Sorry, can't tell anything from a book title. I'm a history graduate; I know plenty about the Crusades. Is there an argument you're trying to make? If so, make it here.

Well, that's funny, if you're a history graduate you should be aware of the advances made by Muslims during/after the Crusades. Be it alchemy, algebra or arabic numerals used in modern mathematics now. Cataract surgery, clocks, advances in astronomy with sun dials, cutlery.

Your post, "how did they "aid" the modern world is" is both high ignorant and foolish. As a history graduate, you are not expected to obtain information from the title of a book, you are expected to read it - so read it.
Original post by rascar
Great. But what has the Muslim world done in the last 500 years?

Scientific knowledge did not originate with "Islam" as you say, it was incubated in the Muslim world, sure, because at that time the Muslim world was relatively tolerant and built on knowledge inherited from Greeks, Romans, Indians, earlier cultures.

If you read what I wrote, I said "made" - I didn't say they have made a contribution in the last 500 years. Although they did with geomatery, mirrors, philosophy etc etc. 300/350 years without contribution would be more appropriate not 500.

Tell me where I said it "originated" with Islam - you quoted it, so show me.
The problem with Islam I recognize is that it's more agressive in some parts than Christianity, while Christianity was already dangerous enough.

Why aprox. 95% of ancient philosophical works did not surivive, and most of works known today were first found in muslim libraries in Spain after the Reconquest? Philosophers had to flee from the Roman Empire during Christianization, to Persia. Muslims who conquered that lands, were far more mind opened back then, thats so they've translated these works and extended them, but then they've been overhelmed by fanatism. Idea of tolerance was created when Europeans realized that wars for religion are too much of problems. The muslims probably didn't gone that far, we need 200, maybe 300 years more of wars for religion before they can learn.
Original post by Mockery
So you've acknowledged that there are rifts and differing ideologies extrapolated from core Islamic teachings by different ethnic and regional groups of people, causing enough friction to result in bloody conflict. But that it's ok because war is sadly a common component of our history and present as a species?

You seem more concerned about preserving your image of Islam than you are about atrocious acts of violence. Maybe this mentality is what perpetuates said wars?

No, well kind of. I am saying that there is absolutely nothing you can do. Nothing. War is war, it happens. Much like the phrase **** happens. We can't control anything, us humans think we have too much power but we have none. Which is why we seem to just blame one religion over a small percentage of acts cause by the religion. You know who else did that, Adolf Hitler.

And we seem to think that religion is the fault of everything. I bet less than half of the people here don't know how useful religion has been in out passed. Seriously, if you actually read The Qur'an, The Bible, The Torah even you will see that they contain a lot of great values that have made us, the human race one of the greatest thriving races ever. For example, The Qur'an gives insight to not drink or take drugs (things of which are in fact extremely terrible to do to yourself at high amounts and they can be extremely addicting after even a small intake), The Bible tells us to love thy Brother (which is really what we should do) but people like you seem to go past that forgetting about how important religion actually was to us.

However, not everything in religious books should be taken literally. I think that it is in these cases that we fail as a race and sink under a never ending pile of horror and terror. We seem to forget that these books, even if you believe that they are from the word of God, were actually written thousands of years ago. The followings taught by these religions got us to this great superpower of the universe that we are today, but today is a different day. We need to change what we think, and this is really hard to do to people who are willing to kill for it. However if you consider where religion has brought us, to where we are now, even the romans and others had religion it was there since the start of humanity and it will be there till the end. Without it we would probably face an end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I myself follow the morals which I see true, I act fairly justly and sometimes I don't prevail but I know where I do wrong.
Excuse me peanut brain, how are MUSLIMS vengeful? You mean Islamists?

No. Both follow Islam? I don't see a difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
No. Both follow Islam? I don't see a difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One are violent, they other aren't.
Well, that's funny, if you're a history graduate you should be aware of the advances made by Muslims during/after the Crusades. Be it alchemy, algebra or arabic numerals used in modern mathematics now. Cataract surgery, clocks, advances in astronomy with sun dials, cutlery.

Exactly what I was expecting you to say, and thank you for proving my point: Muslims have made great innovations, Muslims have made pioneering efforts in mathematics, early medicine and physics. Don't try and disingenuously impute these to their Islamic faith, it won't convince anyone here.
One are violent, they other aren't.

If that's the only difference then I think I'll refer to them as the same thing, is a Muslim man who smacks his child suddenly not a Muslim? Sorry not believing that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, have you considered that perhaps it's all the other religions that are at war with Islam, and not Islam at war with all other religions? Islam is repressed in every part of the world, but apparently unsuccessfully, in which case the matter is turned into a case of terrorists versus legitimate governments.
Muslims are an extremely weak minority in Burma. It is not in their interests to stir trouble. It has been recognised that extremist Buddhists unchecked by the Buddhist government have been the initiators of the trouble in Burma. You are fundamentally misrepresenting the whole issue, so no wonder you're arriving at that monstrous conclusion.

Islam makes no secret of its desire to dominate the world. Islam is at war 24-7 with anything that is not Islamic
Also, have you considered that perhaps it's all the other religions that are at war with Islam, and not Islam at war with all other religions? Islam is repressed in every part of the world, but apparently unsuccessfully, in which case the matter is turned into a case of terrorists versus legitimate governments.
Muslims are an extremely weak minority in Burma. It is not in their interests to stir trouble. It has been recognised that extremist Buddhists unchecked by the Buddhist government have been the initiators of the trouble in Burma. You are fundamentally misrepresenting the whole issue, so no wonder you're arriving at that monstrous conclusion.

You may want to have a think about why so many people have a problem with Islam and not with, say, Buddhism :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending