The Student Room Group

Should I be paying this tax?

So I'm 17 years old and just got myself a bank job working in a home. I received my first pay slip today and I got paid £90 but taxed £18 leaving me with £72. I get paid every month so I'm just wondering should I have been taxed this much when I got paid so low or will I get a tax rebate etc I need help please :colondollar: :colondollar:
My mums asking me to get my pay slip and see if I'm on emergency tax, are you on emergency tax? If so you should be able to get it back I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
There's nothing under tax code on my pay slip so I don't know???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 26december

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you complete a P46 when you started?
Reply 4
Speak to your manager and try to speak to your payroll officer, I don't believe you should be taxed that much.
Reply 5
Original post by Pop_tart
Did you complete a P46 when you started?

No; I was never asked to? Does it matter that this is only bank work or is that irrelevant? Should I just ask someone at work or what??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will be paying emergency tax as dictated by law because the tax office has not issued your tax code as yet and because it's your first employment, you do not have a P45 detailing your earning to date.

HMRC can only issue the correct tax code when they have sufficient details of your earnings from your employer.

Your employer will keep using it until they receive the relevant information from HMRC. So do ask your employer if they are progressing this

You will almost certainly be overpaying tax and this will get refunded to you by HMRC when your P60 is issued at the end of the financial year (April 2015). That or the HMRC will ask your employer to repay the overpaid tax to you directly.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-tax-code

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/emergency-code.htm
(edited 9 years ago)
No; I was never asked to? Does it matter that this is only bank work or is that irrelevant? Should I just ask someone at work or what??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course you should! :tongue: Speak to your department or complete a P46 and hand it in directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending