The Student Room Group

Tips for students going to year 12 in September

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry :smile:
Original post by IChowder

The best tip is, and a lot of people will agree with me. Is that dont take A-levels lightly, just because you get good GCSE grades doesn't mean you will breeze through A-levels.

So best advice is to work and revise steadily through the year and not just a week before the exams, becuase that wont work this time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by wartortle
The best tip is, and a lot of people will agree with me. Is that dont take A-levels lightly, just because you get good GCSE grades doesn't mean you will breeze through A-levels.

So best advice is to work and revise steadily through the year.

Agreed...

I messed them up after mostly A's and B's in my GCSE's and ended up getting a manual labour job for 2 1/2 years.

Starting the OU now so that I can get myself out of a bit of a mess. (and it's the only uni that will accept me as they have NO requirements ha.

Try hard in A levels! :P
Original post by IChowder

I am also going into Year 12 in September and the advice given to me is:
- don't be complacent, take A levels seriously
- revise from the start and throughout the course, don't leave it to the month of the exams
- be organised and have LOTS of spare paper and a few folders to keep them in
- I am also going to take Maths, I would suggest checking which exam board your school uses for Maths and practising questions for it.
- Go over your GCSE notes for Maths, Chemistry and Biology
- Broaden your knowledge in a fun way by going to the Science Museum for Chemistry or Kew Gardens for Biology
- Get the right stationary before September
- When you get your results on 21st August, review your A level choices - are you making good progress in the necessary subjects?
- Relax during the summer - it's going to get tough in year 12.
- Look into the specification of your new subjects so that you know what to expect
- Finally if you are starting at a new Sixth form or new school, look though the TSR for people also going your your Sixth form. Getting to know them in advance may allow you to compare tips and it will be less daunting to make friends with them in September (a better start for everyone :h:)
Reply 4
You seem to have most of the tips :smile:
All I'd say is start looking at Uni choices in the Summer holidays of year 12.
I left mine till year 13 and realised that I'd missed most of the open days and wasn't sure what I was doing.
My advice? Don't be too optimistic. Work hard consistently.
Reply 6
I know its already been said (a lot) but DO make sure you work hard! The last thing you want to do is retakes in year 13.

Quick Reply

Latest