The Student Room Group

OCR MEI A-Level Modules Help

Hi there,

Can anyone give me some help/advice on the more obscure maths units for the mei specification. I am doing the Decision Computation (DC) and Numerical Computation (NC) modules. How does the exam actually work? Does anyone have any good resources for the exams especially Numerical Computation?

Many Thanks in advance
Reply 1
bump
Hi tammy35,

Firstly, may I ask why you are looking at the more obscure MEI maths modules in particular? I presume that you are expecting to self teach these? (There aren't many schools that do the Numerical modules (NM and NC) or the either of the A2 Decision modules (D2 and DC). Numerical Computation (NC) and Decision Computation (DC) are particularly "rare". Most schools favour Mechanics and Statistics over Decision and Numerical.)
That being said, if you are particularly interested in computation/computing, then why not? (I myself enjoy mechanics and Differential Equations, and so am looking to self teach M4 and DE next year) .
Both DC and NC have exams which are slightly different to the rest. They are both 2h30mins (compared to the 1h30mins for all of the other exams).

For DC:
"COMPUTING RESOURCES
Candidates will require access to a computer with a spreadsheet program, a linear programming package and suitable printing facilities throughout the examination." (Hence why the exam is so long. You are also provided with graph paper).

For NC:
"COMPUTING RESOURCES
Candidates will require access to a computer with a spreadsheet program and suitable printing facilities throughout the examination."(Also hence why the exam is so long. You are also provided with graph paper.)

All this information is available on the MEI website. You can also look at some past exam papers to get an idea as to what you're getting yourself into.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of resources and how to teach NC, the 'new syllabus' Numerical Computation module (post 2005- the exam you would be sitting next year) is exactly the same as the old syllabus module (from before 2004- also known as the legacy paper). Because of this and the fact that so few people take this exam, MEI haven't made a new textbook which you can use to self teach the module. Instead, there is only the old legacy textbook which contains 3 modules: Numerical Methods, Numerical Analysis and Numerical Computation. If you can get your hands on this textbook from somewhere like eBay (I doubt they still sell it new), then simply use the Numerical Computation part to teach yourself the NC module.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Tamer of Phalls
In terms of resources and how to teach NC, the 'new syllabus' Numerical Computation module (post 2005- the exam you would be sitting next year) is exactly the same as the old syllabus module (from before 2004- also known as the legacy paper). Because of this and the fact that so few people take this exam, MEI haven't made a new textbook which you can use to self teach the module. Instead, there is only the old legacy textbook which contains 3 modules: Numerical Methods, Numerical Analysis and Numerical Computation. If you can get your hands on this textbook from somewhere like eBay (I doubt they still sell it new), then simply use the Numerical Computation part to teach yourself the NC module.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the info, I was hoping if you could tell me the name of the book as I found a couple and was wondering if it is called MEI Numerical Analysis?

This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Numerical-Analysis-Structured-Mathematics-Level/dp/0340771933

Many Thanks
That's the one :smile:
(I think the first 5 chapters are numerical methods, and the rest is computation).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by tamer of phalls
that's the one :smile:
(i think the first 5 chapters are numerical methods, and the rest is computation).

posted from tsr mobile

thank you so much!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest