The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Topshop vs. Ma fashion journalism at lcf

Hey guys!

I need a bit of help. I've just finished my final year and I've just been offered a job at Topshop as a sales advisor, contracted 37.25 hours a week, and I'm so happy. On the same day, I was also invited for an interview for an MA at the London College of Fashion starting this September. I'm going to attend the interview, and see what happens. But if I do get offered a place, I'm not sure what to do.. I was thinking of asking to reduce my Topshop hours so I can do both... but I don't know if they'll let me because I'm new. Then I thought if this happens, about deferring my place on the course for a year, and then next yr if I still want to do the course and reduce my hours then, they'd be more willing to as they'd have known me for a year, and then I'd be able to do both (and maybe change the course to part-time?) Both are great opportunities and I don't know what to do. I definitely don't want to leave the job to study the MA on it's own, as TopShop's such a great company to work for. I'll be in the Oxford Circus store, and it's also great for career development onto buying, styling, and visual merchandising etc. That's another reason why I'm not sure about the course, as I'm not sure if it's essential if I can succeed that way. But ultimately, I think doing both would be great, and create the most opportunities for me. I also don't really want to defer and do the course later at the age of 22, and if I do it part time, I'd finish 2 yrs later instead of the 1 yr full time. What do you guys think? Has anyone been in a similar dilemma or tried to reduce their hours at TopShop and what was that like? I'd love to hear what other people working in Topshop or doing the MA course think too... Thanks :smile: So much to think about! And surely people/student need to reduce their hours after summer anyways to go to uni? And some people even lie about being flexible just so they can get a job and then leave... I definitely didn't do this.... I am fully flexible and this was going to be my job for a while as I've finished uni, and had nothing else... But now this opportunity has come upI really don't know what to do
Reply 1
Please don't turn this into an issue. Working at Topshop shouldn't even be an issue when put against your future education. I myself used to work for that Topshop branch, on those same hours during the xmas period. Believe me, it isn't worth it. The store is filled with pretentious colleagues who will just look down on you with managers alike. Want to reduce your hours? be prepared to do a lot of ass licking.

I wasn't even working there as a career path, i just need some extra money during my gap year - i'm not studying anything to do with fashion. I personally don't believe slaving away as a sales assistant is needed in a fashion career path, being a personal shopper is more cut out for it. Though when i worked there, the personal shoppers were seen as being snobby and obnoxious.

I don't wish to bring you down, but getting a job there is not that difficult. The only thing that makes it a tedious task is the amount of application forms they get. Once you get passed the application process and 'selectively chosen' it's a walk in the park. I was friends with somebody who called up potential candidates, she would just grab the massive box of CVs and call up random people; she even chose somebody because they had the same last name as her.

Most people there hate working there, though they're proud to be a part of hte company they just want to get out. If studying an MA course is what you want, and will help with your future prospects, i'd stick to that. But if you feel you may need help funding your education go for it, the pay isn't that bad considering it's high street retail.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi I'm studying a part time degree at LCF but I work at the Oxford circus branch of Topshop as well. It's NOT that bad of a place to work, and while at times it can be stressful it is great to have it on your CV, there are always editors, stylists, designers etc coming into the store so it's a great place to network. There are plenty of options available to you just speak to your manager, you don't have to kiss their arse just let them know the situation Ive worked there for three years, If your department cant give you full time hours ask the do evening or lunch cover which 20hrs a week over five days. I manage it and my managers are fine with it so long as you tell them in advance and also not everyone there is pretentious :wink: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending