The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever moved to Australia on their own?

I was just wondering how you found it. What percentage of your waking hours was spent alone? (roughly). Sorry I know that sounded abit specific but did you spend most of your time with others or on your own?

How old are most of the people that stay in hostels there? I dont give a hoot about ages but if they're all 18 year olds that have just left school I dont want to feel old all the time.

Also if you were living in the hostel around Christmas/New years time how did you find being alone, and spending Christmas with people in the hostel?

Also are most people in hostels British and German as this is what I've heard...

Thanks for the help guys
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm Australian, so I can only answer a handful of those. The majority of people living in hostels are older than 18, backpackers around tend to be mid-twenties. I haven't come across many 18 year old travellers. The main places are are Germany, Ireland and Scandinavia, from my experience. There seem to be a lot of Germans and Swedes about.
Original post by alejandro_o
I'm Australian, so I can only answer a handful of those. The majority of people living in hostels are older than 18, backpackers around tend to be mid-twenties. I haven't come across many 18 year old travellers. The main places are are Germany, Ireland and Scandinavia, from my experience. There seem to be a lot of Germans and Swedes about.

Ok... thats interesting. Be honest, is there some animosity among australians with backpackers, as in they take alot of the jobs that could be going to local people?
Hey,

I've just come back from a gap year travelling all around Australia ona working holiday and backpacking around new Zealand and Mexico.

I was 18 when I jetted off and I was certainly one of the youngest travelling. Most people travelling where between 22-26. You meet many different people from different nationalities. I've made friends with people from England, Ireland, Germany, Sweeden, Switzerland, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Brazil and plenty of other countries. The majority people of travelling I found where English people from down south, I did not seem to meet many Northerners on my journeys and yes there are quite a number of German's travelling. But I did also come across many Sweeds and dutch. I'd reccomend travelling. You spend a majority of your time with people, when travelling... It's easy to meet people... You're all in the same boat... So you try and make friends pretty fast. Go out for dinner, drinks, trips out etc. All depends on the types of people you meet. You need to be open. You could be hanging out with 29-35 year olds one day to going out with 18-22 year old's. Everyone is mainly nice. I'd recommend to stay in the more 'Up-market' hostels though if you're not the partying type and want to actually sleep haha. Can drive you mad after a while and although it can be good fun, you do get tired of it. Christmas is great. Hostels come together and people come together. You get to connect with many people. I'd recommend to NOT stay in any hotels during this time but in hostels.

Mainly it's about what you want out of the experience but you need to be open in order to enjoy yourself and to not close yourself off. It can be a very rewarding experience.

If you want any hostel suggestions etc just hit me up.

Edit: Aussies loves travellers. They wouldn't be offering Working Holiday Visas if there where not any jobs to fill. Majority of my friends where from work and where all aussies. They're more laid back over there than England :smile:

Jonny :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iloveusernames
Ok... thats interesting. Be honest, is there some animosity among australians with backpackers, as in they take alot of the jobs that could be going to local people?

Ahahah nah, most of the jobs backpackers get are jobs Australians don't want, and we don't have the same kind of economic woes as Europe. Plus, Australians tend to travel and backpack a lot themselves anyway. Most Australians like backpackers because they're good fun. As soon as you say you're from another country people will want to make friends with you and ask about where you're from. In my experience anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest