Cannot do this question part b;

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755175.832068.jpg

My working for part a)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755214.557499.jpg

My working for part b, using two failed attempts:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755249.726054.jpg

Method 2
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755281.458682.jpg

I don't understand how to get the other values, despite looking at the various methods on the markscheme.

Markecheme:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755399.673306.jpg

Thanks!

-Jay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Jaydude
Cannot do this question part b;

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755175.832068.jpg

My working for part a)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755214.557499.jpg

My working for part b, using two failed attempts:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755249.726054.jpg

Method 2
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755281.458682.jpg

I don't understand how to get the other values, despite looking at the various methods on the markscheme.

Markecheme:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402755399.673306.jpg

Thanks!

-Jay

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't worked this question through, but it looks like they're using the fact that PA is perpendicular to l to observe that (since A and B are both on l) you have an isosceles right-angled triangle and to find the coordinates you can either use the fact that the 2 non-hypotenuse sides have equal length (magnitude) or the fact that the length of the hypotenuse is root(2) times the length of one of the other sides.
Reply 2
Original post by davros
I haven't worked this question through, but it looks like they're using the fact that PA is perpendicular to l to observe that (since A and B are both on l) you have an isosceles right-angled triangle and to find the coordinates you can either use the fact that the 2 non-hypotenuse sides have equal length (magnitude) or the fact that the length of the hypotenuse is root(2) times the length of one of the other sides.

Still confusing, I can imagine it , I can do the first few steps, then I just can't get the value of lamda :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Reply 4
Original post by Jaydude

Where are you getting stuck now?

Are you happy that PAB is a right-angled triangle with angle BPA = 45 degrees and angle PBA = 45 degrees, so length of PA = length of AB.

Can you work out length of PA from the info given?

There are a couple of ways of finding possible positions of B - I chose the longer, "stupider" method which involves working out the length of AB in terms of lambda and solving a quadratic equation, but looking at the mark scheme it's much simpler to note that B lies either side of A and a certain distance away from it using a multiple of the direction vector of l.
Reply 5
Original post by davros
Where are you getting stuck now?

Are you happy that PAB is a right-angled triangle with angle BPA = 45 degrees and angle PBA = 45 degrees, so length of PA = length of AB.

Can you work out length of PA from the info given?

There are a couple of ways of finding possible positions of B - I chose the longer, "stupider" method which involves working out the length of AB in terms of lambda and solving a quadratic equation, but looking at the mark scheme it's much simpler to note that B lies either side of A and a certain distance away from it using a multiple of the direction vector of l.

I have no idea where I went wrong, if you see my working above for method 2...

If possible, can you post your working or take a picture, I need to see where that λ comes from to form a quadratic. I prefer it that way. (method you did)
Reply 6
Original post by Jaydude
I have no idea where I went wrong, if you see my working above for method 2...

If possible, can you post your working or take a picture, I need to see where that λ comes from to form a quadratic. I prefer it that way. (method you did)

Presumably you got p = 1 so P is the point (-1, 0, 2) and |PA| = 6.

We need |AB| = 6 or |AB|^2 = 36

Suppose B is parameterized by m (instead of lambda to save my typing!)

So B is the point (13 + 2m, 8 + 2m, 1 - m)
and AB = (10 + 2m, 10 + 2m, -5 - m)

Quadratic is then 2(10 + 2m)^2 + (-5-m)^2 = 36
which expands to 9m^2 + 90m + 200 = 11
or 9m^2 + 90m + 189 = 0

9 is a common factor so divide to get

m^2 + 10m + 21 = 0 or (m + 3)(m + 7) = 0

I'll leave you to fill in the details :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest