The Student Room Group

It is only sexist when men do it

Scroll to see replies

If I were a woman I would be a bit pissed off, since men are assumed to be able to take a joke at their expense while women are not. Surely that is real sexism?

That being said though, many of the "jokes" I'm talking about are really dire and unfunny.
Original post by Blue_Mason
X

Well, that is a woman.
The point is that not all woman are of the same physical strength just like not all men are the same physical strength. Women may be at a genetic disadvantage but it doesn't mean every man is stronger than every woman at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Because some would argue that to discriminate, you have to be in a position of power

The vast majority of men are not in positions of power.
I don't really get how it can be argued that men are less institutionally powerful than women. Just look at arguably the most powerful person in the world, the president of the United States. Yet there's never been a female US president, and there's only ever been one female Prime Minister in the UK. Look at other places, for example, the bank of England, and their Monetary Policy Committee, which is made up entirely of white, middle aged men. Basically, men are generally in more powerful positions than women. And no, that doesn't mean that I'm more powerful than my female friends.
And in response to the idea of sexism, yes, it is more damaging to women, although of course it does happen to men, and definitely should not be overlooked. Just think about it, the general scale of sexism towards women is far more than the sexism towards men, and often more derogatory.
I'm saying that institutionally men have more power than women

A man being assaulted by a woman is not inherently an 'institutional' phenomenon, nor is the converse situation 'institutional'. The contortions of logic and reasoning you're willing to make to create a coherent argument here are becoming more and more absurd.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Green Marble
I was sexually harrassed by a 12 different girls at my work. They were young , slim and attractive and they made me feel like a piece of meat

I don't care if you are a cow-strangler at an abbatoir or a portable toilet cleaner. I'm quitting my job and working where you work.
Reply 26
Original post by 29Bilal96

And in response to the idea of sexism, yes, it is more damaging to women, although of course it does happen to men, and definitely should not be overlooked. Just think about it, the general scale of sexism towards women is far more than the sexism towards men, and often more derogatory.

Arguably, sexism to men is more insidious and much more damaging.

A vulnerable woman is a victim. A vulnerable man only has himself to blame.

A man working in childcare or nursery or early years teaching often carries extremely negative connotations.

Similarly a man working in fashion, beauty or hair-cutting can be subject to all sorts of prejudice.
Original post by Clip
Arguably, sexism to men is more insidious and much more damaging.

A vulnerable woman is a victim. A vulnerable man only has himself to blame.

A man working in childcare or nursery or early years teaching often carries extremely negative connotations.

Similarly a man working in fashion, beauty or hair-cutting can be subject to all sorts of prejudice.

Hmmm, but isn't sexism towards women far more widespread.
Reply 28
Original post by 29Bilal96
Hmmm, but isn't sexism towards women far more widespread.

Probably.
As Tyrion said, you've got to account for power structures. No-one really believes that men are inferior, so it is seen as more acceptable to make jokes at their expense, yet women genuinely struggle to be taken seriously because of their gender. It's like how you can make jokes about Americans but it's bad to make jokes about third world countries. Although personally I like my humour PC anyway.
Original post by ArtGoblin
As Tyrion said, you've got to account for power structures. No-one really believes that men are inferior, so it is seen as more acceptable to make jokes at their expense, yet women genuinely struggle to be taken seriously because of their gender. It's like how you can make jokes about Americans but it's bad to make jokes about third world countries. Although personally I like my humour PC anyway.

Oh so that explains why its OK to make jokes about White people. Right? :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arrow900
Oh so that explains why its OK to make jokes about White people. Right? :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly.
Original post by Algorithm69
That is pretty damn light for a guy of 6 foot.

Indeed but I far from anorexic
Reply 33

I see it as damaging. But not as bad. The difference between spraining your ankle and breaking your leg. Both bad, one is worse

And yet spraining your ankle is more likely to result in a chronic and recurrent problem over years... I would prefer to break my leg, have a 6 month recovery period with all the sympathy that a 'broken leg' entails, than go through years of recurrent sprains with no solution in sight.

I.e. you're clearly looking at it from a very one sided point of view, haven't really considered the other side (and have no intention of doing so) and what is important to you isn't necessarily important to someone else.
Ok first off there's several threads devoted to this sort of crap. Secondly I don't believe your OP for second. I find it funny when people take the piss out of my gender just as men should find it funny when I do it to them. People just need to know how to laugh at themselves.
Original post by ArtGoblin
Exactly.

I'm Black. Are you tryna say yo whiteass is more superior than me.
:hmmm:

No I'm kidding, I don't speak like that.

Just making sure you know that before you begin to make rapid conclusions about me.
But seriously though?? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arrow900
I'm Black. Are you tryna say yo whiteass is more superior than me.
:hmmm:

No I'm kidding, I don't speak like that.

Just making sure you know that before you begin to make rapid conclusions about me.
But seriously though?? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe saying it's acceptable is too far, but it's not as bad as joking about minority ethnic groups. White people are not socially disadvantaged in any way because of the colour of their skin (although some white minority groups do experience racism in this country e.g. Irish/gypsies/Eastern European). Therefore if someone was to make a joke about white people they can know that this attitude isn't causing institutional discrimination like it would if it was made about another group.
Let me explain power structures to you

If you shout "you're fired" to your boss, nothing happens to him, because you're not in a position of power over him

If he shouts "you're fired" at you, you lose your job. The same thing was said, yet it had much worse consequences when he said it because he's in a position of power

I don't agree with people being "sexist" to men but you cannot argue it is as damaging as sexism towards females

Why do you put men in a position of power? It sounds like you suffer from an inferiority complex truth be told. You believe discrimination against woman to be worse because you are one. If a group of women started verbally abusing me I may tell them to sod off in the heat of the moment but if they hit on insecurities its arguably just as bad and will torment me. Its arguably worse as men seem to place their own ego and pride very highly so it could be seen as very damaging to be attacked in such a manner.

If a guy says stuff you can knock him out. If a bunch of women say it you can't as society frowns upon it. If anything women have a lot more power than men in some regard. A guy comes up in my face on a night out mouthing off and pushes me and I'm going to defend myself. The police will see it as just a bunch of drunk and disorderly idiots scrapping. A woman does the same and if I hit her the likelihood is I'm arrested because of societal bias.

I see men and women as purely equal but feel I have to tip toe around issues because society frowns on certain things. We will never truly be equal if you put men on a pedestal and give them power they don't deserve. Power is given or earned, not a right. When a boss has power its because he or she has been given it by a superior and they've earned it. It was not a right.

People are people and earn respect on an individual basis regardless of gender. Yes there are misogynistic pigs in society and women haven't got equal rights in all work places and we must tackle these issues head on to build a better society but that does not give anyone a divine right to push forward the notion that because we are male discrimination aimed towards us isn't as bad.

I don't believe in feminism as the solution to societies problems as I see it as an extremist approach. I believe by working together, seeing people as people and so forth we can build a better society. Feminism is not the answer. It is an extremist reaction to problems society faces.
Let me explain power structures to you

If you shout "you're fired" to your boss, nothing happens to him, because you're not in a position of power over him

If he shouts "you're fired" at you, you lose your job. The same thing was said, yet it had much worse consequences when he said it because he's in a position of power

I don't agree with people being "sexist" to men but you cannot argue it is as damaging as sexism towards females

You are implying women are in a weaker position to men
Original post by Welsh Bluebird
Why do you put men in a position of power? It sounds like you suffer from an inferiority complex truth be told. You believe discrimination against woman to be worse because you are one. If a group of women started verbally abusing me I may tell them to sod off in the heat of the moment but if they hit on insecurities its arguably just as bad and will torment me. Its arguably worse as men seem to place their own ego and pride very highly so it could be seen as very damaging to be attacked in such a manner.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying on an individual level. You are right about that. I'm saying institutionally men have more power than women.

The fact men have such pride is patriarchy ... So you should be on my side

If a guy says stuff you can knock him out. If a bunch of women say it you can't as society frowns upon it. If anything women have a lot more power than men in some regard. A guy comes up in my face on a night out mouthing off and pushes me and I'm going to defend myself. The police will see it as just a bunch of drunk and disorderly idiots scrapping. A woman does the same and if I hit her the likelihood is I'm arrested because of societal bias.

Yeah because society sees us as weak fragile creatures who need protecting... Id rather bd seen as an equal

I see men and women as purely equal but feel I have to tip toe around issues because society frowns on certain things. We will never truly be equal if you put men on a pedestal and give them power they don't deserve. Power is given or earned, not a right. When a boss has power its because he or she has been given it by a superior and they've earned it. It was not a right.

People are people and earn respect on an individual basis regardless of gender. Yes there are misogynistic pigs in society and women haven't got equal rights in all work places and we must tackle these issues head on to build a better society but that does not give anyone a divine right to push forward the notion that because we are male discrimination aimed towards us isn't as bad.

I don't believe in feminism as the solution to societies problems as I see it as an extremist approach. I believe by working together, seeing people as people and so forth we can build a better society. Feminism is not the answer. It is an extremist reaction to problems society faces.

I see your point but surely you can see how discriminating against a privileged group, while still unfair, isn't as bad?

And feminism is just the belief that women have equal rights to men, it is not extreme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending