The Student Room Group

why does immigration upset people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Really stupid when people generalise something to a whole culture. Not ALL immigrants are lazy and wrongfully taking benefits the same way not ALL immigrants have a better work ethic than British people
Original post by MangoFreak
You're right, your exaggeration may very well be true. There may not be room in the UK for the rest of the world's population.

But that's a meaningless sentiment. The UK is not a tiny island by any reasonable measurement, and no number of immigrants is present that could be considered "the rest of the world".

It is a tiny island! Look at the size of it compared to America, to Africa, to Asia! We're tiny!
Original post by Maid Marian
It is a tiny island! Look at the size of it compared to America, to Africa, to Asia! We're tiny!

Why didn't anybody tell me I'm an island? I feel like I would have noticed that.

Hawaii is a (group of) tiny islands. Norfolk Island is a tiny island. Great Britain and the other islands of the UK are perfectly large enough to accommodate millions more people. Space is not an issue for immigration.
Farage and others lie to people by suggesting that hordes of immigrants will descend on the UK to steal jobs and commit genocide against the "British people" (a vague and fairly meaningless term).

They create a tribalistic mentality in people.
Original post by emy-n
Because immigration is happening to Europe only :rolleyes: Because China isn't being forced to take on foreigners, India isn't being forced to take on foreigners,etc.
Just Europe.... Britain especially( Sweden is fast catchiing up).

Because there are not allowed to be european-people-only countries anymore as it's considered "racist". Because you HAVE to make minoritites the priority in EVERY country. Because you NEED to spread multiculturalism. Because European people have "No culture of their own".

Why are you so afraid of multiculturalism? Nobody reasonably suggests that any country HAS to be multicultural, and certainly nobody should be forced to adopt a new culture (whatever that even means), but seriously, I don't get the fear of different cultures.

I am different culturally to you, but I'm not a minority. You wouldn't think I was any different to you walking down the street, even though I likely am. Culture has little to do with borders (somewhat).
Your post is essentially right- immigrants should get what they want "within reason". But it's gotten to a point where we're giving some far too much just as we're giving some non immigrants far too much. Not to mention the fact that we'll wind up overpopulated if we don't slow it down a bit. Many like me aren't upset about immigrants, more concerned.
Because they nick our jobs, leaving us to claim dole. They are willing to work for piss which renders the few jobs we can get practically worthless. If they had any self respect, they would demand a living wage, the bunch of stingies!
Plenty of my friends I met at uni are from overseas, UK is a free country so you can do what you want.

My friend from Saudi Arabia tells me he can't drink alcohol in his country, knowing English is important to him because he can work internationally in more wealthier countries. We created the language and have good universities/education so UK is a good place to come.
Reply 28
anything they want - within reason

Immigrants are willing to work more than 'British people' are for a low wage.

as if Britain is their country

Some pretty derpy comments OP. But then, i assume this is probably a provocative troll thread so, whateva
Original post by 8472
Because the British traditions are broken down. We love them and want to hold on to them.

What traditions do you refer to?
Britain has none that I can think of :/
It's only boring people who whine about immigration and those that are closet racists, I feel.
Original post by LonelyDemon
Plenty of my friends I met at uni are from overseas, UK is a free country so you can do what you want.

My friend from Saudi Arabia tells me he can't drink alcohol in his country, knowing English is important to him because he can work internationally in more wealthier countries. We created the language and have good universities/education so UK is a good place to come.

International students bring massive wealth into the UK. Though Saudi Arabia is a really rich country too. I think our higher education establishments, along with the NHS, are the best thing we have going.
Reply 32
Original post by hellodave5

You know. Lovely summer fates with local jams.. The get together community spirit. That sort of stuff.
Reply 33
Why are you so afraid of multiculturalism? Nobody reasonably suggests that any country HAS to be multicultural, and certainly nobody should be forced to adopt a new culture (whatever that even means), but seriously, I don't get the fear of different cultures.

I am different culturally to you, but I'm not a minority. You wouldn't think I was any different to you walking down the street, even though I likely am. Culture has little to do with borders (somewhat).

That's obviously not the point I was trying to make.
Multiculturalism is great!!!
But I don't see why many countries get to keep their own cultures, while other places have to remove theirs to promote foreign cultures which are DOMINANT in their own countries.
Why shouldn't every country promote it's own?
DO you see the double standard here?
Original post by Maid Marian
Because Britain is a tiny island, we can't welcome the rest of the world into it.

Surely by that logic we should also stop reproducing?
Reply 35
Original post by Mother Teresa
It's only boring people who whine about immigration and those that are closet racists, I feel.

So a white British person whining about a white polish person is racist? K then.
It's easy to get lots of (thick) people to not trust them because they're different to us and they make a great distraction from the real problems.
Original post by hellodave5

That's the sad part, Britain doesn't have much of a culture anymore.
Reply 38
"the rest of the world"

Didn't realise every other landmass was deserted of people.

No thats not the case, but the UK is becoming overpopulated/is overpopulated which does not be helped by immigration.

ALso not all immigration is bad but shouldnt the UK just let the most qualified in? Rather than uneducated etc. ?

Immigration also effects the UK like in history what do you learn about? not british history but more oppinionated topics such as slavery.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by emy-n
Because immigration is happening to Europe only :rolleyes: Because China isn't being forced to take on foreigners, India isn't being forced to take on foreigners,etc.
Just Europe.... Britain especially( Sweden is fast catchiing up).

Because there are not allowed to be european-people-only countries anymore as it's considered "racist". Because you HAVE to make minoritites the priority in EVERY country. Because you NEED to spread multiculturalism. Because European people have "No culture of their own".

Let me put this in perspective for you because you clearly have an issue with HAVING to make minorities the priorities and all the other cry baby **** you said

White people, or 'europeans' who are actually statistically the minority, invaded every country the could and took their people their land their resources and guess what? Once you have everything stolen off you don't exactly have an easy life. So all these people come to the UK to look for a better quality of life because they've been stripped of that thanks to colonialism and white imperialists

''Because there are not allowed to be european-
people-only countries anymore because that's considered racist'' okay well I have an idea, how about all countries go back to the way the were pre colonisation. Yeah that means no white people in America, Canada, South Africa and Australia. the natives and aboriginal's called, they don't want Europeans in their land. Keep Europeans in europe. Also I don't think you realise this but a lot of the immigrants in the UK are from Europe...

''Because you NEED to spread multiculturalism'' yah okay cos assimilation isn't a thing that's forced down peoples throats everyday¡!!!

I get it. You have resentment towards anyone that's not white. Or 'european'

PS white people emigrate to places outside Europe too, except when they so it they're not called immigrants, they're called expats

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending