The Student Room Group

Biomed or midwifery??? Help please!!

The dream would probably be a doctor, but that is simply out of the picture due to my GCSE and A-Level grades.

I applied for midwifery 2014 and was rejected from all 5 places due to lack of experience, so I'm taking a gap year.

At AS I got A,B,C in geography, biology and chemistry. My predicted grades are AAB in those 3 subjects in that order.

Now I'm really unsure of what I want to do, I was so set on being a midwife but after doing unit 5 biology it's a lot of genetics and DNA technology, the sort of stuff you can go into if you do biomedical science and I enjoy it. I also have been looking at haematologist assistant jobs just for my gap year and I find it all very interesting.

However as a biomedical scientist you don't work directly with patients, and that's what I would love to do, I want to get to know people, and help them the best I can.

Being a midwife would be great, you have a lot of responsibility, sometimes expectant mothers don't see a single doctor throughout their whole 9 months, only midwifes! But I hate that I would be somewhat restricted, only dealing with the normal births, rarther than maybe dealing with patients who are having problems with their pregnancy, which I would find interesting, that's more an obstetricians job, which again I would have to study medicine for which is litterally impossible for me to get onto the course.

Would really appreciate any any advice guys! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest