The Student Room Group

How do I apply for a foundation year when I have already applied to five uni's

Hello

I am at sixth form currently in my final year but have totally messed up my A levels. I had an unexpected pregnancy in December which caused me a lot of stress and was very ill throughout it so had to take a lot of time off causing me to struggle in my A levels. I very sadly lost my baby 3 weeks ago after she was stillborn, I was very ill and as you can imagine grieving and hospital bound, at that moment my A levels where my last concern.

I missed two exams (ethics and philosophy) so I can surely say I have failed that exam.
I went in for my English and ICT exam reluctantly (my boyfriend urged me to go) had basically no sleep and done no revision missed a lot of questions was not in the right frame of mind at all and had a lot of medication in my system so im 95% sure I failed those exams.

I think im going to be lucky if I even manage to scrape an E in all of my A level subjects.

I am 19 (should have finished last year but worked for a year before joining sixth form) they have told me that I am too old to repeat the year and would need to study at a college which will cost and I don't really want to repeat the year would rather start university now.

I applied for LLB law degree at 2 uni's and an English degree at 3 uni's. I got a conditional offer by all accept one who declined me because they where not going to run the course anymore.

I ideally want to do the law degree, I have found various universitys that do the degree with a foundation year who said that they will accept people with bad/incomplete/wrong a levels but that I need to apply through UCAS. Is it too late to apply and can i apply since I have already applied to five? I didn't accept or decline any of the previous offers?

Also on a sidenote can any one tell me what a foundation degree at a university entails?

Thankyou
Original post by tiffanyrothx
Hello

I am at sixth form currently in my final year but have totally messed up my A levels. I had an unexpected pregnancy in December which caused me a lot of stress and was very ill throughout it so had to take a lot of time off causing me to struggle in my A levels. I very sadly lost my baby 3 weeks ago after she was stillborn, I was very ill and as you can imagine grieving and hospital bound, at that moment my A levels where my last concern.

I missed two exams (ethics and philosophy) so I can surely say I have failed that exam.
I went in for my English and ICT exam reluctantly (my boyfriend urged me to go) had basically no sleep and done no revision missed a lot of questions was not in the right frame of mind at all and had a lot of medication in my system so im 95% sure I failed those exams.

I think im going to be lucky if I even manage to scrape an E in all of my A level subjects.

I am 19 (should have finished last year but worked for a year before joining sixth form) they have told me that I am too old to repeat the year and would need to study at a college which will cost and I don't really want to repeat the year would rather start university now.

I applied for LLB law degree at 2 uni's and an English degree at 3 uni's. I got a conditional offer by all accept one who declined me because they where not going to run the course anymore.

I ideally want to do the law degree, I have found various universitys that do the degree with a foundation year who said that they will accept people with bad/incomplete/wrong a levels but that I need to apply through UCAS. Is it too late to apply and can i apply since I have already applied to five? I didn't accept or decline any of the previous offers?

Also on a sidenote can any one tell me what a foundation degree at a university entails?

Thankyou
I am most terribly sorry for your loss. I understand completely that you have lost direction through this and I can only say from experience that things do get better in time. Right now, I can understand that you want to get on with making things 'better', but do give some thought to not rushing into things. You need time to grieve, and may not be in a fit state to start university in September. Only you can be the judge of that, but be kind to yourself.

Speaking practically, since you say you didn't reply to your offers, they will have been declined on your behalf by now. As someone holding no offers, you are eligible for Extra, but at this late stage in the game I doubt there will be much left. It might be worth a look, though, and contacting any university directly to ask if the places still exist, as they don't usually keep the lists up to date very well.

Assuming that goes nowhere, you will be entered into clearing on results day, and that is where you may well find a foundation degree of interest. A foundation degree is a two year course which can be topped up to a full degree with another year if the results of the first two are good. It's a sensible way to go for someone in your position.

As an alternative, do please go and talk to your referee. It might be worth them getting in touch with the universities who gave you offers and putting them in the picture. This might very well come to nothing, but it is worth a go, and it must come from them rather than you.

Whatever you do, be kind to yourself. There isn't a quick fix for this, but there will be an end to it some time. I sincerely wish you all the very best.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I am most terribly sorry for your loss. I understand completely that you have lost direction through this and I can only say from experience that things do get better in time. Right now, I can understand that you want to get on with making things 'better', but do give some thought to not rushing into things. You need time to grieve, and may not be in a fit state to start university in September. Only you can be the judge of that, but be kind to yourself.

Speaking practically, since you say you didn't reply to your offers, they will have been declined on your behalf by now. As someone holding no offers, you are eligible for Extra, but at this late stage in the game I doubt there will be much left. It might be worth a look, though, and contacting any university directly to ask if the places still exist, as they don't usually keep the lists up to date very well.

Assuming that goes nowhere, you will be entered into clearing on results day, and that is where you may well find a foundation degree of interest. A foundation degree is a two year course which can be topped up to a full degree with another year if the results of the first two are good. It's a sensible way to go for someone in your position.

As an alternative, do please go and talk to your referee. It might be worth them getting in touch with the universities who gave you offers and putting them in the picture. This might very well come to nothing, but it is worth a go, and it must come from them rather than you.

Whatever you do, be kind to yourself. There isn't a quick fix for this, but there will be an end to it some time. I sincerely wish you all the very best.

The OP was talking about a foundation year not a foundation degree
Original post by jelly1000
The OP was talking about a foundation year not a foundation degree

Both get a mention. Perhaps you would do the honours, then.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Both get a mention. Perhaps you would do the honours, then.

ah apologies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending