The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Interviews

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for this. I'm sure it will be very helpful.
Reply 21
Johnny01638
How many people do you tend to find are in the interview room with you?

hi, sorry just out of curiosity, why did you do seven AS levels?
I've got a form to fill in about topics to discuss at interview, but I don't really know what to do. I'm applying for chem eng, and they say to concentrate on physics topics.

I'm very interested in quantum mechanics, but I worry as I don't have a phenominal knowledge of the topic, and I feel I could be torn apart on it. I'm very interested in it, but I don't know (or understand) any of the maths behind it, and in reality the depth of my knowlegde can be summed up as being able to use E=mc^2 for nucluer fission/fusion, and knowing electron+positron annahalite each other to produce two photons. I have been reading books about antimatter and the like, but would they expect me to know this kinda stuff inside out? I love it, but do typical interviewers expect people to know their course related interests to a high level?
Thanks
Reply 23
Had mine today, really enjoyed them! Was really down as I left, but you can't answer all the questions. Try to balance your arguments, be prepared to answer questions you don't know the answer to, and your 2nd interview always > the 1st! One of my interviewers got replaced by a consultant on neurological disorders whose primary interest is Alzheimer's... exactly what I put on my personal statement lol! Massive coincidence. I didn't realise who he was until I got home and tried to find a picture. I said that i was interested in Alzhemier's and he began questioning me on it, it didn't twig that he might be an expert! Just hope i didn't make a fool of myself lol.

Good luck everyone. It's not as bad as you'd think...
This is actually an interesting thread. From personal experience, colleges like Magdalene and Robinson invite candidates for medicine interviews BEFORE BMAT results come out. This means that if you aren't too confident in your BMAT score (5.5<x<6 on sections 1 & 2) and you think that you can rock the interview in ever way, this is good. At colleges like Clare, they don't send out invitations for interview till BMAT results get to them [ they then tell people who get invited for interviews and do all their preliminary rejections]

But realistically, if you get below 6 on sections 1 and 2, you'll be rejected anyway.. Unless you applied through CSAS or COMPLETELY blew them away at the interview
Reply 25
If they pull out the old 'tell me about a banana question' it means they want you perform an act of oral love upon them. If you want to get in I suggest you do it. It's tough out there, my mate Jamie had to give a handjob to the caretaker just to get into Sheffield Hallam. :wink:
Reply 26
Hi you all,

I'm applying to do medicine in 2010 and was thinking of giving oxbridge a go.
I saw some of the "mock" interview videos the various Cambridge colleges have and I was wondering, are the real interviews like them?

From what most people have said, they're tough, but from the videos, the interviews seems...quite easy, if you get what I mean, they aren't as the typical as the "this is impossible" impression to me, so, are the "mock" interviews actually much easier than the interviews they actually carry out on applicants?

Here is the link to the Emmanuel College's videos..
http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/videos/interviews/

Not to sound snobby or anything but honestly, I thought the questions asked in the videos are quite easy! I mean, even I can answer about 2/3 of them (and I've just started A-levels) :ninja:.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. All of the "mock interview videos" make the process sound doable even for class idiot.
Trying to give students a feeling of false security?
Reply 28
I would like to know what happens in the case of International students living in Africa. I live in Mauritius and I heard Oxford may or may not interview me. Is it true? On oxford website it says the same i think. pretty weird. Anyone can please clarify here? I have applied to oxford for law. and have only received acknowledgment.
yodude888
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. All of the "mock interview videos" make the process sound doable even for class idiot.
Trying to give students a feeling of false security?

My interview was nothing like the videos. I was grilled about two passages that I read.

This is no criticism of the interview itself, but I think that the video was misleading.
Reply 30
ScholarsInk
My interview was nothing like the videos. I was grilled about two passages that I read.

This is no criticism of the interview itself, but I think that the video was misleading.

I was wandering whether there is anyone on here who has any experience of Harris Manchester interviews? Do they tend to be the same as at other colleges, provided that they are interviewing students at the age of 21 and over? I am applying for Law, btw...

Got my application acknowledged, however, have no idea as to whether I will be selected for the interview...I have been out of education for some time and it all seems a bit daunting at the moment...

Was looking into having a mock interview (personal consultation) with Oxbridgeapplications, however, dont know if it is all worth the money...My college hasnt mentioned anything about mock interviews so far and I do not think they will be providing me with one of them in the future...

Any idea on what I should do?
How long approximately are Oxford History interviews?
Cackhandedchimp
How long approximately are Oxford History interviews?

I thought that all interviews were about a half hour each.
YMLSTAR
I would like to know what happens in the case of International students living in Africa. I live in Mauritius and I heard Oxford may or may not interview me. Is it true? On oxford website it says the same i think. pretty weird. Anyone can please clarify here? I have applied to oxford for law. and have only received acknowledgment.

Which college? Just email them saying you'd be able to make it to Oxford for an interview (if this is the case). otherwise you'd likely just get a phone int.
Reply 34
What is the interview process like for MML? Is it a discussion in the language, about the language or what?
eve_22
Was looking into having a mock interview (personal consultation) with Oxbridge applications, however, dont know if it is all worth the money...My college hasnt mentioned anything about mock interviews so far and I do not think they will be providing me with one of them in the future...

Avoid. Save your money.

eve_22

Any idea on what I should do?

Come to one of the open days next week and talk to the HMC law tutors. That should give you a pretty good idea of how it will work.

DtS
Derek_the_Sheep
Avoid. Save your money.

Come to one of the open days next week and talk to the HMC law tutors. That should give you a pretty good idea of how it will work.

DtS

Erm Derek, I hate to break this to you, but that post is old. Eve_22 already has an offer now. :p:
Andy the Anarchist
Erm Derek, I hate to break this to you, but that post is old. Eve_22 already has an offer now. :p:

errrmmm.. right. I knew that, come to think of it. Slaps own sheepy head with a sound between "doh" and "baaa".

DtS
Reply 38
Derek_the_Sheep
errrmmm.. right. I knew that, come to think of it. Slaps own sheepy head with a sound between "doh" and "baaa".

DtS

:smile: :biggrin:
Hey, one question about the interviews. Say for an english interview, the extract that you have to analyse and speak about in the interviews do you get to see it pre-interview, or is spontaneous?

Quick Reply

Latest