The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Interviews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
keynesismyhomeboy
where are they?

Oxford
General Oxford applicant thread - for discussing the entire application process (i.e. at the moment mostly interview invitations etc)
Another thread full of people waiting for interview invitations
The Post here if you have an Interview thread (once you actually have an invitation)

Cambridge
General applicant chat thread - once again, for discussing the entire application process
Interview thread

Plus various other threads littered across the forums which haven't been merged into one of the big ones yet. There's really no need for another one...
hobnob
Oxford
General Oxford applicant thread - for discussing the entire application process (i.e. at the moment mostly interview invitations etc)
Another thread full of people waiting for interview invitations
The Post here if you have an Interview thread (once you actually have an invitation)

Cambridge
General applicant chat thread - once again, for discussing the entire application process
Interview thread

Plus various other threads littered across the forums which haven't been merged into one of the big ones yet. There's really no need for another one...

THANKS
I think sometimes A level exams aren't really a test if you're someone who can think independently and formulate interesting arguments or see your subject from many points of view. I think interviews are above all an academic test, just a different kind of test than a written exam.
Sure, they may also judge your personality, but mainly, they are looking to see if you can answer their questions competently.

All you need to worry about is if you think you get so nervous that you might be unable to think properly or if you say stupid things because of nerves. I mean. That happens to everyone too, but as long as you retain your general level of competence you will be fine.
Reply 63
I've been hearing in a number of threads that interview questions are basically the same for everyone for a subject. Don't you think this is a bit of surprise? What if someone heard some of the questions before the interview and took extra preparation? That's simply unfair!
Reply 64
Omio
I've been hearing in a number of threads that interview questions are basically the same for everyone for a subject. Don't you think this is a bit of surprise? What if someone heard some of the questions before the interview and took extra preparation? That's simply unfair!

Well, that's precisely why all applicants are urged not to discuss their interviews until the end of the interview period.:rolleyes:
I was told they change them every year and they're also different between colleges. They do tell you that you shouldn't discuss them with other applicants. I also overheard two tutors saying that they should try and make interviews broadly the same for all the applicants as that is fairer.
Reply 66
How is it at all unfair?
The only way it would be unfair is if you're stupid enough to share questions.
What?

My interviews were pretty specific to my submitted written work and my personal statement.
Reply 68
There was a law applicant at my college who kept asking everyone what the interview content was. We tried to avoid him.
Imo, knowing the questions before your interview wouldn't give you any advantage. Believe me, tutors are incredibly smart people and they'd realise that sth is wrong here and you answer those tricky question too easily... :P
Reply 70
Mann18
You're a better man than I, I would have fed him false information.

lol. I think he deserved it.
Reply 71
For sciences, of course they are. You can't just have multiple sets of data to use for every single applicant. As others have said a) if you're stupid enough to tell someone else what it's on then that's your own silly fault b) unless you told them your answers too it probably wouldn't be much help. I mean I could happily talk about being given a bunch of data on mice birth rates over time, but unless I told you the pattern of the data you'd still have to figure it out for yourself.
Reply 72
That's not really surprising considering how many people they have to see. I see it more as a a framework that they'll alter to you specifically (at least; for the humanities, maths/sciences are always going to be less flexible). To be honest, I'm more scared of the really general questions like; "Why do you want to study x?" and "Have you got any questions?" I mean, seriously; what are they expecting you to ask?
chebanana
I'm more scared of the really general questions like; "Why do you want to study x?" and "Have you got any questions?" I mean, seriously; what are they expecting you to ask?

If you worry about ice-breakers and an opportunity to clear up any queries you might have then you really do have problems. These are not part of the decision-making process.
SPSMain
Unless they ask "Why do you want to study x" and you reply "umm...well...umm"? :p:

Of course! :biggrin: But surely even the most shy can be expected to cope with what are essentially pleasantries.
Reply 75
Mann18
How is it at all unfair?
The only way it would be unfair is if you're stupid enough to share questions.

This. you'll always find a bunch of those on tsr :rolleyes:
I would imagine Oxford professors have better things to do with their time than make up hundreds of questions every year to ask all interviewees, most of which won't be getting a place anyway.
Reply 77
Good bloke
If you worry about ice-breakers and an opportunity to clear up any queries you might have then you really do have problems. These are not part of the decision-making process.

Yes, alright, the first one I could deal with, it's just that everything you say begins to sounds horribly cliched; "I love it, it's my passion, I've always wanted to study it.." Bla bla and bla. But the latter freaks me out; I'm terrified that I'll be sitting there whilst they all stare at me expectantly and I'll panic and say "Why did the chicken cross the road?" or something like that. I know it won't be a deal-breaker, but for confidence's sake, I'd rather not make an arse out of myself.
chebanana
I'd rather not make an arse out of myself.

Then stop trying to second-guess mere pleasantries and learn how to have a normal conversation.
Reply 79
I remember that in one of my interviews, the tutors literally had a list of questions, and we went through them, one by one. Funnily enough, we ran out of questions before the time ended, at which point the tutor said 'Well, that was fast work!' and asked me about some reading I'd mentioned on my personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending