The Student Room Group

Is it just me, or do all dental/medical students at uni think they're god's gift?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
All dentists are self employed, the ones who run clinics make stupid amounts

I said doctors......
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
What roots?

What's wrong with being confident? Trust me, you wouldn't want a timid and unsure person as your doctor especially if you have a chronic illness where you have to be reassured every time that you'll be ok. Or if you're about to undergo surgery and you need to know that everything will be fine. Or when you've just heard that you have cancer and you need reassurance that they'll do everything in their power to make sure you stay alive. There's many reasons why doctors have to be confident in themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? I didn't say anything about the confidence bit. Confidence is a great quality, im not disagreeing with you.
Roots as in, don't forget where you've come from, working your backside off to get to where you will be one day. Stay humble

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Welsh Bluebird
I said doctors......

ik but i just mentioned that dentists do make that type of money. Dental students are just as arrogant
Original post by teen1234
average associate dentist makes 60k a year lol...
A consultant surgeon is on 100k+
If we wanted money we could have gone into banking.... whats your point?

This is exactly the type of arrogance OP is referring to. The "we could have gone into banking". How can you make such a claim, with no basis whatsoever.
Reply 64
Original post by TSA
This is exactly the type of arrogance OP is referring to. The "we could have gone into banking". How can you make such a claim, with no basis whatsoever.

Well entry requirements into 'banking' courses at top unis are AAA/A*AA. They're almost entirely academically based - most medical/dental students have these grades. This obviously doesnt mean we would be able to become investment bankers(since its incredibly competitive), just that we could have gone down that path
Reply 65
What roots?

What's wrong with being confident? Trust me, you wouldn't want a timid and unsure person as your doctor especially if you have a chronic illness where you have to be reassured every time that you'll be ok. Or if you're about to undergo surgery and you need to know that everything will be fine. Or when you've just heard that you have cancer and you need reassurance that they'll do everything in their power to make sure you stay alive. There's many reasons why doctors have to be confident in themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I was told that I was at high risk of cancer I would have loved to have had a doctor that gave out reassurance. Unfortunately, he was rather arrogant and certain that he could prevent it and spoke without thinking. Being told, "good news, good news you are at high risk of cancer" was not the best way to have it broken to me. In this case, arrogance has caused me a lot of pain. Be confident, that's fine but it's dangerous to be arrogant.
Original post by TSA
Is this some attempt to justify your expectation of being treated as "Gods gift to the world". If it is, it's pretty terrible. This may be news to you, but many people work as hard as doctors.

You made the decision to take up the course. Stop complaining. If I choose to run a marathon, I'm not going to complain about how it's so unfair on me, that I have to do it and nobody else does. I made the decision through my own freewill so I man the **** up and do it.

Nothing is wrong with being confident. The issue is arrogance. There is a fine line.

Nobody wants to be treated by an arrogant doctor.

Where have I ever stated that doctors are God's gift to the world? Please show me? I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm showing why some doctors are confident and why it can come across as cocky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I once had a medical student spend 10 minutes with me in the toilet, helping me out after I poured a shot of Vodka in my eye. He was a good dude. Gods gift to me, anyway.
Well entry requirements into 'banking' courses at top unis are AAA/A*AA. They're almost entirely academically based - most medical/dental students have these grades. This obviously doesnt mean we would be able to become investment bankers(since its incredibly competitive), just that we could have gone down that path

You can get into medical school without maths at A-Level try getting into a top school for a subject such as economics without maths. A-Level requirements are not the same, maybe in terms of grades with top economics schools requiring A*AA but not in terms of subjects.

Just because you meet the entry requirements for a course does not mean you will be able to cope with the demands of the course, nor does it mean you could just go down that route if you so wish, there is a lot more to it than that.
Original post by Afghan Warrior
What? I didn't say anything about the confidence bit. Confidence is a great quality, im not disagreeing with you.
Roots as in, don't forget where you've come from, working your backside off to get to where you will be one day. Stay humble

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love how you've assumed that just cause I'm doing medicine, all my morals would be flying out the window :colonhash:

Original post by Zmbbnbq
When I was told that I was at high risk of cancer I would have loved to have had a doctor that gave out reassurance. Unfortunately, he was rather arrogant and certain that he could prevent it and spoke without thinking. Being told, "good news, good news you are at high risk of cancer" was not the best way to have it broken to me. In this case, arrogance has caused me a lot of pain. Be confident, that's fine but it's dangerous to be arrogant.

What, he told you "good news, you have a high risk of cancer?" That's extremely insensitive of him to say. Like everything else, all doctors are not the same and I would hope the majority are trained properly in breaking news gently and sensitively but not everyone would take that on board. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Where have I ever stated that doctors are God's gift to the world? Please show me? I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm showing why some doctors are confident and why it can come across as cocky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you not defending yourself from what was stated in the OP?

Your comment sounded like a justification to me, if it wasn't I apologise.
Original post by TSA
You can get into medical school without maths at A-Level try getting into a top school for a subject such as economics without maths. A-Level requirements are not the same, maybe in terms of grades with top economics schools requiring A*AA but not in terms of subjects.

Just because you meet the entry requirements for a course does not mean you will be able to cope with the demands of the course, nor does it mean you could just go down that route if you so wish, there is a lot more to it than that.

It actually does. Do you think every banking undergraduate has a 'passion' for the subject? If a potential med student wanted to enter banking, all they'd do would be to pick the subjects required and they could still study whatever course is needed seeing as they could achieve the grades anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol? Dentists start on 30k AFTER 5 years of university and doctors start on ~22k. The starting wage is not that impressive.

22K is the starting wage for junior doctors in foundation year 1, and generally goes up 5K in year 2, with extra money available to those who work more hours.

You think that's an unimpressive wage for people who aren't even fully qualified? Thank you for proving my point.
It actually does. Do you think every banking undergraduate has a 'passion' for the subject? If a potential med student wanted to enter banking, all they'd do would be to pick the subjects required and they could still study whatever course is needed seeing as they could achieve the grades anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that was the case the drop out rate for students that meet the entry requirement for the respective course would be 0%. I mean they've met the entry requirements so that must mean they can deal with the demands of the course right? But it is not the case is it?

I didn't imply or state every banking undergraduate has a passion for the subject?

Using that logic any medical student that has met the requirement of AAA/A*AA would be able to study English at Oxford. I mean grade requirements are the same so why not?
Original post by TSA
If that was the case the drop out rate for students that meet the entry requirement for the respective course would be 0%. I mean they've met the entry requirements so that must mean they can deal with the demands of the course right? But it is not the case is it?

I didn't imply or state every banking undergraduate has a passion for the subject?

Using that logic any medical student that has met the requirement of AAA/A*AA would be able to study English at Oxford. I mean grade requirements are the same so why not?

No, at Oxford you need about 80-90% A*'s at GCSE, something not required in any other courses.

I'm not saying people don't get overwhelmed by their course but that's the same for every other course. The point stands, the average medical student can still do other subjects like banking and economics since the entry requirements are basically the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Well done, you got at least AAA, a load of work experience and volunteering, UKCAT exams, interviews A*/A GCSEs and you managed to get an offer for a very prestigious course...
But that doesn't mean you're better than anyone. You're servants to the public.
I overheard a dental and a medical student talking about how they pull girls purely by telling them their a dental or a medical student. I mean, what type of bimbo actually falls for that?
Or the ones who think if you're not studying medicine or dentistry theres no point going to university
Anyone else have similar experiences, sick and tired of it at my uni!

OP, you're talking about a massive group of people. Thousands. Don't assume every single one of them is a ****. Some are up their own backsides, others are lovely.
No, at Oxford you need about 80-90% A*'s at GCSE, something not required in any other courses.

I'm not saying people don't get overwhelmed by their course but that's the same for every other course. The point stands, the average medical student can still do other subjects like banking and economics since the entry requirements are basically the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford Medicine. I'm sure that comes under the heading of medicine courses does it not?

You haven't provided any reason for why your point stands. You've essentially just said, your right because you've said your right. The average medical student thinks he/she could do courses such as economics at a top uni but just because they think they can does not mean they actually can.

Subjects such as economics require much more theoretical thinking than medicine which is mainly rote learning.
Original post by TSA
Oxford Medicine. I'm sure that comes under the heading of medicine courses does it not?

You haven't provided any reason for why your point stands. You've essentially just said, your right because you've said your right. The average medical student thinks he/she could do courses such as economics at a top uni but just because they think they can does not mean they actually can.

Subjects such as economics require much more theoretical thinking than medicine which is mainly rote learning.

Ok, one course that's an exception proves your point does it?

Well of course then that's the case with everything. We think we can do things and even if really, we can't we can still attempt it. And that's what I'm referring to.

I'm not saying the average medical student can complete and succeed at an economics degree, I'm saying they could get in the course seeing as the entry requirements are similar and there's even less work involved in the application.

Medicine, rote learning? I've truly heard it all :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, one course that's an exception proves your point does it?

Well of course then that's the case with everything. We think we can do things and even if really, we can't we can still attempt it. And that's what I'm referring to.

I'm not saying the average medical student can complete and succeed at an economics degree, I'm saying they could get in the course seeing as the entry requirements are similar and there's even less work involved in the application.

Medicine, rote learning? I've truly heard it all :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge Medicine.
Yes it does.
Attempting is completely different from doing. I could go to the gym tomorrow attempt to squat 500kg, no chance I'm going to do it though. Attempting means nothing.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree.

http://www.acponline.org/medical_students/impact/archives/2013/07/perspect/
Original post by TSA
Cambridge Medicine.
Yes it does.
Attempting is completely different from doing. I could go to the gym tomorrow attempt to squat 500kg, no chance I'm going to do it though. Attempting means nothing.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree.

http://www.acponline.org/medical_students/impact/archives/2013/07/perspect/

Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest