The Student Room Group

Should i do pharmacy if i have a weakness with chemistry

Ok, i'm just trying to figure out what i want to study at university and what i want to become. I have had to change my mind so many times, but i have my reasons for that.

I was just wondering, would it be a good idea to do pharmacy if you have a weakness in chemistry. I really did hate the subject at college and i did struggle with it. Infact, it was what made me lose confindence in myself and my studies.

I know you thinking why am i even asking about pharmacy if chemsitry had such a negative affect on me, but i have grown up wanting to go into healthcare or a scientific career. But unfortunatley, due to my stupid anxiety problems and other problems, i cant go into healthcare. I want to do a degree where i can go into a job straight after and not really have to do any postgraduate study, so i was considering pharmacy again, (i applied for it when i was at college).

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions, i am having so much trouble deciding on a course and career. I have had to reconsider everything since becoming unwell and now i am at the point where i am just too stressed and i cant be bothered.

Thank You.

xx :suith:

I forgot to mention, i was around a grade C in my A level for chemistry.
Reply 1
I am neither a pharmacist nor a pharmacy student (yet) but from what I know, the course involves lots of chemistry and if you struggle in this area, you'll find it very difficult to cope with it. My sister whose favorite subject is chemistry is in her 4th year and even she struggles abit. I think doing a course which involves something you aren't very interested in will only increase your anxiety problems :frown: . You could try biomedical sciences (again i'm not an expert) as it apparently involves more lab based work and if your anxieties are to do with being around people then this might be a better option.

Oh and I know what you mean about losing confidence in your studies. Been there. I wasn't a big fan of chemistry but that was due to the teachers. I now have really amazing teachers and love it. I hope you make the right choice!:smile:

Edit: Just noticed that you already finished your a levels so alot of the above probably won't be relevant.
Reply 2
Hi, lol, i just replied to your thread about pharmacy running in families.

I havn't finished my A Levels, i had to drop out of college before i could finish all my A levels because i was unwell. I got Bs and Cs in my chemisrty modules, so i was averaging a C in my A level. I did get my Bio A level though but i missed a paper and only got a C.

Anyway, i'm starting an access course in september and hoping to get into uni with that.

But i was worried about the chemistry content of the course. You're right, i didnt find it enjoyable, so i probably shouldnt study it, but the course was in the area i would want to work and it would please my famly.

My anxieties are around illness, I get anxious when i learn about illness and i tend to apply them to myself and family when i get unwell. So thats why i i'm cautious about going into healthcare. I am ok to be around people, actually i really enjoy it.

I have considered biomed but i dont think i would like to be in a lab all the time.

Thank you for your advice.

xx
If you hate chemistry then you will probably find the first year of the course very tough but if you can get through it then it does get easier (with respect to chemistry content, IMO).
Reply 4
Thank you for your advice. I have been very worried about the chemistry content of the pharmacy course and was worried it would really affect my confidence at university, so i'v decided i would be better suited to another career.

xx
I'm sorry to say this, but basically no. I have to agree with BeesKnees and go for another biomedical course. Possibly Pharmacology?

As you will see from looking at prospecti, i think you need at least a B in Alevel Chemistry. I think this is pretty hard to get if you don't enjoy or find it difficult (i LOVE it :biggrin:)

So as much as i like to recruit them....no
Reply 6
Yeah, most unis ask for at least a B in Chemistry.

So what course have you decided to do instead then?

Good luck, by the way!

Latest

Trending

Trending