The Student Room Group

Eyesight and Video Games/Computer usage

Does strong usage of computers damages ones eyes? Let say you use a computer for 5 hours straight each day for 5 years.

I am hearing from few people that there is no such study found and some say that gaming (certain games) can potentially improve eye sight.

Logically id expect the eye sight to deteriorate over time with computer usage or even TV. I guess it's all subjective, some have naturally stronger, more protective eyes where as some don't. Also how far you sit from the screen, quality of the screen etc.

From personal experience of using computers for about 8 years, my eyesight has gone a lot worse. Infact the first 2-3 years of heavy usage has reduced my eyesight.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply 1
my eyes are ****ed from using the computer for so long
staring at a screen causes your iris muscles to strain, so eventually they can no longer contract properly to control the opening of the eye
my long sight vision sucks so i have to wear glasses, it used to be perfect though
Reply 2
I would suggest that people who have to use PCs and indeed stare at HD tvs and similar for long periods of time would be well advised to ensure that such equipment is well adjusted, that their position relative to it is optimal and that they have good quality lighting in the room which is not low energy..preferably tungsten white light. Also take regular rest breaks/look away..
If my personal experience is any indication, my eyesight got linearly worse until about 18 years of age. After that I kept using computers the same amount (~10 hours a day), and my eyesight has stayed the same for years.

So if you want to keep good eyesight, you may want to minimize computer use until you are 18, then you can use computers all you want.

Reading apparently has similar effect on eyesight, too, especially at very young age. That's possibly why many Asian countries have much higher percentage of kids with glasses.

Quick Reply

Latest