The Student Room Group

Your experiences of university study with chronic/long-term ill health?

Those of you with chronic illnesses, do you feel supported by your university? Or are there areas you feel supported in, but perhaps not in others e.g. Your department are really understanding but the wider uni administration isn't or perhaps you have a great disability equality department but your department doesn't do much to support you?

The university experience can vary a lot for students with chronic illnesses, not just based on the severity of your symptoms but also on what level of support you receive, both academically and pastorally. I'm just wondering what your experiences have all been like, both good and bad?

I don't feel particularly supported by my university due to the level of bureaucracy involved in even granting a 24 hour extension, nevermind the rules and regulations involved in trying to manage a case where someone misses several hand ins due to ill health. My university is very strict when it comes to chronic illnesses, and will not grant any leniency based on that alone and will only support you further if you're suffering from a particularly bad episode/flare up. However my department do their best to support me, but often their best isn't good enough because they are bound up by the same red tape that governs the rest of the university.

So tell me about your experience? I really want to make things better at my university, and the best way I can do that is to learn from others in similar circumstances and to learn how other universities and departments cope with students with long term health problems.
I've been rejected and almost undermined every time at a mainstream college/university so much that I gave up with the whole British system and came to the conclusion that the majority of institutions do not like disabled people.

My first experience was doing a Business course. I was getting top marks on every essay. Then I had a period of illness and cried out for help to the tutor and other students. I asked one student if he could help me with a particular topic. 2 days later I was reported for plagiarism and all my previous work was declared counterfeit. I was thrown off the course. The course tutor was extremely bias against me. It was the whole course instructors & students against me. In fact everyone had something against me. I guess the hate ran root deep.

I knew at the time other students didn't like me because I was disabled and different to them. I just didn't think they would go that far. I was wrong though.

Had other experiences of bullying, intimidation and even assault. I won't go into that because it brings back some really disturbing memories.

So since then I haven't really been to a University. I prefer distance learning to avoid all the stuff life throws at me.
Original post by shoogle
Those of you with chronic illnesses, do you feel supported by your university? Or are there areas you feel supported in, but perhaps not in others e.g. Your department are really understanding but the wider uni administration isn't or perhaps you have a great disability equality department but your department doesn't do much to support you?

The university experience can vary a lot for students with chronic illnesses, not just based on the severity of your symptoms but also on what level of support you receive, both academically and pastorally. I'm just wondering what your experiences have all been like, both good and bad?

I don't feel particularly supported by my university due to the level of bureaucracy involved in even granting a 24 hour extension, nevermind the rules and regulations involved in trying to manage a case where someone misses several hand ins due to ill health. My university is very strict when it comes to chronic illnesses, and will not grant any leniency based on that alone and will only support you further if you're suffering from a particularly bad episode/flare up. However my department do their best to support me, but often their best isn't good enough because they are bound up by the same red tape that governs the rest of the university.

So tell me about your experience? I really want to make things better at my university, and the best way I can do that is to learn from others in similar circumstances and to learn how other universities and departments cope with students with long term health problems.

I've never declared my 'disability' (dyspraxia) as its mild and mainly affects me at home, however my uni as a whole makes it easy now for anyone to claim an extension- this year just gone they brought in a 7 working day extension which is self certified so you can apply even if you weren't able to seek out help or were just too stressed with lots of coursework due at the same time although its only allowed once a semester. However some lecturers attitudes are bad, some people on another course got an email from their module tutor complaining that people were abusing it because lots of people applied.
Then when I was ill I was able to get an extension of my choosing relatively easily - I just had to have been to the doctors by the deadline day. I appreciate not everyone may have found this easy.
I'll be honest: whilst I had some supportive people, I didn't have proper support in place at my undergrad uni. Whereas my postgrad uni straight away suggested DSA and were very proactive in helping me settle in and liaise with tutors, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest