The Student Room Group

AQA Stats 2b exam - 16th June - Discussion!

Couldn't find a thread for this exam so I thought I'd make one. How did everyone find the exam? I thought it was a bit trickier than the usual ones

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yh I agree, trickier than usual, but no where near as bad as core 4 so I'm happy
Reply 2
Question 4 was horrible
Reply 3
That's fortunate. Did question 4 have the rectangular distribution one?
Reply 4
Thought this exam was fairly kind in comparison to the Core 3 and 4 papers, so I'm content. The very last question where you had to show that the median was between 1.13 and 1.14 was quite clever, as you had to incorporate your Core 3 knowledge of showing a root lies between two points.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I really liked this exam! There was one bit on the Poisson question where I wasn't sure if you had to use binomial or not so I'm a bit worried about that, but except that, pretty good :smile: Especially in comparison to Core 4 and FP3
Reply 6
Original post by Segadfx
Thought this exam was fairly kind in comparison to the Core 3 and 4 papers, so I'm content. The very last question where you had to show that median was between 1.13 and 1.14 was quite clever, as you had to incorporate your Core 3 knowledge of showing a root lies between two points.

Yeah I quite liked that one, a bit different from the usual S2 papers
Reply 7
I felt good coming out of this exam, I think this was by best so far :biggrin:!

The only question I was concerned about was the very first bit of the poisson, I was unsure what method to use, so I went with calculating all the possible combinations, but I think my probability was off. First I put 0.09, then changed it to 0.07, still unsure. (Completely forgot how to use binomial xD)

Then the only other question I am unsure about was the one where you had to find the maximum value of the mean for which some guys theory was right (something about servicing), I got something like 20.90 but I am unsure, as it asked it for 2 d.p, so I would have thought it might have been a bit of a larger number.

Aside from that, really liked the questions, pretty much 50% integration, not a load of actual stats, so i'm pretty happy!
Reply 8
Original post by Random34
I felt good coming out of this exam, I think this was by best so far :biggrin:!

The only question I was concerned about was the very first bit of the poisson, I was unsure what method to use, so I went with calculating all the possible combinations, but I think my probability was off. First I put 0.09, then changed it to 0.07, still unsure. (Completely forgot how to use binomial xD)

Then the only other question I am unsure about was the one where you had to find the maximum value of the mean for which some guys theory was right (something about servicing), I got something like 20.90 but I am unsure, as it asked it for 2 d.p, so I would have thought it might have been a bit of a larger number.

Aside from that, really liked the questions, pretty much 50% integration, not a load of actual stats, so i'm pretty happy!

I think I got 20.8-something for the maximum value of the mean, so pretty similar!
Reply 9
Original post by Lukeyymc
Yeah I quite liked that one, a bit different from the usual S2 papers

Finding the highest mean value for the service was also something I've never really seen before.
Reply 10
Original post by charak05
I think I got 20.8-something for the maximum value of the mean, so pretty similar!

Ahh, thats a tad more reassuring, did you get something like this:

z = 1.9600?

and then

xbar = 20 + 1.96( s.d/10 )?
Ahh, thats a tad more reassuring, did you get something like this:

z = 1.9600?

and then

xbar = 20 + 1.96( s.d/10 )?

Think my z = 1.6449. Because that guys suspicion is that he was taking longer than 20 minutes, so it was a one-tailed test? I think?
Reply 12
Think my z = 1.6449. Because that guys suspicion is that he was taking longer than 20 minutes, so it was a one-tailed test? I think?

It was one-tailed yeah, I got the same z-value.
Original post by Segadfx

Awesome! Do you remember what you got for the final answer of that question? I think it was around 20.8 but I can't remember exactly..
Reply 14

Ahh poo, I thought that part was basically just a regular confidence interval.
(I thought the part above was two-tailed though anyway, as it said something about the mean not being a value, even though its logical that you would only be complaining if it was larger.)
Reply 15
Original post by Segadfx

I had that z value too but my answer turned out to be 20.58 or something like that
Ahh poo, I thought that part was basically just a regular confidence interval.
(I thought the part above was two-tailed though anyway, as it said something about the mean not being a value, even though its logical that you would only be complaining if it was larger.)

Yeah, the above part (the hypothesis test) was two tailed, but the part about the guys suspicions was one tailed :smile:
Much harder than the MS2B June 2013 mock I did. I finished the MS2B June 2013 mock in exam-conditions in about 40 to 45 minutes with 74/75.

I finished the real exam in about 1 hour 5 minutes with 25 minutes to spare.

Hopefully the grade boundaries will not be as ridiculous as last year's (it was 67 for an A, 71 for an A*).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lukeyymc
I had that z value too but my answer turned out to be 20.58 or something like that

I might've got that, I'm just remembering there being an 8 in the answer somewhere :biggrin: Would need to see a copy of the paper again to be sure
Reply 19
Awesome! Do you remember what you got for the final answer of that question? I think it was around 20.8 but I can't remember exactly..

I think I remember getting 20.75. 20.76 gave a z value above 1.6449.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending