The Student Room Group

BPTC + Part Time Work?

I'm due to start the BPTC at Leeds in September and I was just wondering whether it would be advisable to continue my part-time work whilst I'm completing my course for some extra money, this would only be 12 hours on weekends. I have asked a number of BPTC students but the response has been mixed, I've worked throughout University and the only time I found that difficult is around exam time. Will the intensity of the course make this extremely difficult to manage?
This does not answer your question directly but it certainly correlates with what you're asking.

I studied the BPTC part-time for two years and worked full-time at a law firm for the duration. I'm presently on target for a VC at the end of it.

Perhaps a little more relevant is what your 12 hours per week entails. If it's unsociable hours then are you going to be too tired to concentrate on the Monday?
I also studied part-time across 2 years whilst working full-time. The BPTC is difficult and more intense than the LLB. If possible, focus on your studies during term time and obtain work during the summer months. The volume of work required when completing the civil element of the course is very demanding on time and , as such, you may find it useful to find out the structure of the course, i.e. whether you will cover the criminal aspect in isolation in year 1 with civil in year 2.

It would be risky to base your decision on the advice of others. However, do not be led into the belief that part-time is any easier! The BPTC demands a lot of time and sleep is almost a myth. The significance of sleep should not be underestimated either, particularly bearing in mind the fact that you will constantly have to analyse complex facts etc. It will be a huge balancing act. Lots of discipline, focus and determination. Success is in your hands. All the best x
Studentpink makes some very good points about considerations which you must make. I can confirm that part-time is no easier than having studied full-time before, possibly to the detriment of the student if your long-term memory is poor.

You should pay close attention to how you study most effectively. If you find yourself needing those extra 12 hours then perhaps working part-time isn't a good idea. How about giving it a month or so when you start and then deciding after that whether to give it up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending