The Student Room Group

Spanish in uni, 1 year abroad course?

Hey,
So I plan on doing Spanish at university iv noticed there are courses that you can study a year abroad. So far I have no idea what university to apply and what type of Spanish course I prefer... Does anyone know what universities are good for Spanish and is taking a year abroad a good idea?
Reply 1
Original post by tc303148
Hey,
So I plan on doing Spanish at university iv noticed there are courses that you can study a year abroad. So far I have no idea what university to apply and what type of Spanish course I prefer... Does anyone know what universities are good for Spanish and is taking a year abroad a good idea?

Taking a year abroad is a fantastic idea!! As well as improving your language and cultural skills you see so many places and meet so many people... :smile:

Have you researched if any of these unis hav e exchange agreements with Spanish ones?
Personally I'd avoid any courses that didn't do a year abroad like the plague! :tongue: The year abroad is where all the really fun stuff happens, it's where you go from being average to good/great at your language, and it looks great on your CV as well. :smile:

As for what uni to study at, I'd take a look at the following things: course units. So what you'll actually be studying, which modules are compulsory and which optional, whether there's more focus on culture/history/language skills etc. Contact hours per week (less isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, it depends on your learning style). Open days - meet a couple of lecturers/current students, see if they give a good impression. And of course the place itself, and if you can picture yourself living there.
Reply 3
I don't think there are any particularly bad unis for Spanish... As the others said look at modules; some unis focus more on literature (eg Oxford), others more on cultural studies (eg Bath).. So you'd have to decide what suits you best :smile:
Definitely go for a year abroad course!
Reply 4
Original post by tc303148
Hey,

I'm and AS student and I'm thinking the same! Even though I haven't even got my grades I'm thinking about my 3rd year. I'm going to Notts Open day http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/spanish,portugueseandlatinamericanstudies/hispanic.aspx

If you do a work placement you'll get paid and may be offered the job at the end. Also, employers are looking for experience abroad so it'll make your CV stand out!
A year abroad is always a good idea, it'll help your language no end :smile:

Always keep an eye out on if the uni you're looking for focuses on Castilian Spanish or Latin American Spanish..if you love more than the other, that is :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks guys, so many great answers! I will definitely check for what the modules are like, i would much rather do culture than literature!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending