The Student Room Group

Primary Education/Education 2015

Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone does either a BS in Education or BED in Primary Education?

I really want to be a primary school teacher and was wondering if anyone has any advice about which UNI's to apply for?

Also, if anyone is applying to do these courses in 2015?

Emily :smile:x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hoping to start September 2015, where do you think you will look?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Reply 3
I have an unconditional offer to study Education with MML (French) at Cambridge in 2015 :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to it and am happy to help if anyone wants advice about education admissions, personal statements or whatever - I had offers from Durham, York and Southampton as well as Cambridge. Durham was my insurance choice which I loved :smile:
I will be applying for 2015, but I am really not sure where I want to apply to. I think uni of Cumbria would be my first choice so I could stay where I live... But I am not sure where else to choose! I think I'd like to stay up north though so maybe York and Leeds.... 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by fairyfairyfairy
I will be applying for 2015, but I am really not sure where I want to apply to. I think uni of Cumbria would be my first choice so I could stay where I live... But I am not sure where else to choose! I think I'd like to stay up north though so maybe York and Leeds.... 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of looking at york st.john, but never been to york.
Also going to look at Manchester met and sheffield hallam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Clairenigel
Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone does either a BS in Education or BED in Primary Education?

I really want to be a primary school teacher and was wondering if anyone has any advice about which UNI's to apply for?

Also, if anyone is applying to do these courses in 2015?

Emily :smile:x

I applied for undergraduate primary education courses for 2014 and got offers from the places that I applied after I went to the interviews. I did this because I wanted to be a primary school teacher. However, I changed my mind on results day and cancelled my place, and I am now going to be studying English Literature at Warwick. Basically, I think you need to be 100% sure that you will always want to be a primary school teacher for all those years, as you will only be qualified for that profession. I personally believe that the best route is to do a degree which is more versatile for graduate job schemes in case you change your mind, and then do a one year PGCE afterwards which will qualify you as a teacher. This would leave your options open.

I didn't believe that was the most useful route until I realised how difficult it is to get a job as it is, without restricting yourself to one career. I think you should just be certain, but if you're sure that that's all you want to do, then go for it :smile:

Here's some things about the uni's I looked at:

Worcester - established as a good for teacher training, lots of support, the lecturers are so lovely and welcoming, they offer extra things to enhance your CV such as sign language, volunteering and first aid. The area was nice, and it has a train station within walking distance, probably about a 10 minute walk maximum.

Birmingham City - was rated 'outstanding' by Ofsted. The rooms are like classrooms which is pretty useful. They have many resources that you can borrow for placements, such as puppets, whiteboards, and books. This means that you can be prepared! However, the uni isn't in a nice area but the train station is literally right next to the uni.

Newman - I probably wouldn't have considered this one if I wasn't close to Birmingham. It's small with a college like atmosphere (meaning that you can easily get hold of the tutors if you have any worries), but the lack of social/night life and transport put me off as it's in a secluded area :tongue:

I don't know how much help this will be, but I hope I've been of some use as I wish I had more support when I wanted to do the undergraduate primary course! Good luck with whatever route/uni you choose! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
I'm thinking of looking at york st.john, but never been to york.
Also going to look at Manchester met and sheffield hallam

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have booked to go to an open day and Manchester Met! Argh it's starting to feel very real! And I need to go and have a look at York and I think Birmingham as it's sounds good! Have you been to any open days?
I'm planning on applying for it in 2015. Plymouth will be my number one choice i think and then im unsure where else i would want to go. As im not wanting to stay at home to study, so none inside london. Have looked at Derby and also Winchester but am looking for others.
Reply 9
I have booked to go to an open day and Manchester Met! Argh it's starting to feel very real! And I need to go and have a look at York and I think Birmingham as it's sounds good! Have you been to any open days?

Been to Brighton but didn't like it. Went to derby, oxford brookes and Sheffield Hallam and liked them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I'm applying for primary education this year, I am applying to Winchester, oxford brookes, UWE plymouth and got to decide on my last choice. Be great to talk to others who are applying for primary education :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi! I am applying for primary education also, however I am thinking of trying to defer but I need to talk to my college about how realistic this is! Anyway I'm really Interested in York St John and Birmingham City so I need to hurry up and go for open days, plus I have an open day at Manchester next month! It's come around so quick! Have you started your personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I am also going to be applying for Primary Education with QTS, this year, just started my access course yesterday! Haven't started working on my personal statement yet, but plan on getting my application in by the end of October, so will be starting it this week. I will be applying to Brighton and Chichester uni's, as I need to stay local due to family commitments :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to be applying for next year too, just need to wait till i start my access course at the end of the month, cant wait to start! My main uni will be Plymouth i think as the course sounds very appealing to me. but i have others lined up that i've got in mind, like Derby and a few others, but not wanting to stay at home to study, as it would mean doing a lot of traveling on a train, and i just dont want that.
Original post by Jay018
I'm going to be applying for next year too, just need to wait till i start my access course at the end of the month, cant wait to start! My main uni will be Plymouth i think as the course sounds very appealing to me. but i have others lined up that i've got in mind, like Derby and a few others, but not wanting to stay at home to study, as it would mean doing a lot of traveling on a train, and i just dont want that.

Have you even to their open day?? I haven't got chance to go and look at plymouth due to working every Saturday! Ah okay seems so many are doing the access course but a great way to get into teaching!
Original post by Glitter_fairy5
Have you even to their open day?? I haven't got chance to go and look at plymouth due to working every Saturday! Ah okay seems so many are doing the access course but a great way to get into teaching!

I havent sadly, and dont think I'll be able to do so because of the distance, im going to look into it and see what i can do though, even if it means me going by myself with someone i know who lives down there, as there next one is on the 11th of October. But i like the sound of the course than what others give, so i dont know, but the good thing is i have a bit of time to figure things out.
Original post by Glitter_fairy5
Hi,

I'm applying for primary education this year, I am applying to Winchester, oxford brookes, UWE plymouth and got to decide on my last choice. Be great to talk to others who are applying for primary education :smile:

I'm also applying for primary education but struggling with where to go! I saw you're applying to oxford brookes and UWE, both I am considering but haven't visited yet! If you have visited either would you mind telling me what the city was like and whether the universities are near the city centre? I'm quite interested in going to a bigger city so I would be especially interested in what you have to say about UWE!😊
Hi! I am applying for primary education also, however I am thinking of trying to defer but I need to talk to my college about how realistic this is! Anyway I'm really Interested in York St John and Birmingham City so I need to hurry up and go for open days, plus I have an open day at Manchester next month! It's come around so quick! Have you started your personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!
I'm also choosing between universities for Primary Education! I live in York and can confirm that York St John is very good for primary education, the site in very close to the centre so it's very easy to access town but as it's my home town I'm not considering it! (I would definitely put it down if I was not from York though!) I am also thinking about Manchester Met and Birm City and was wondering if you have visited both by now? I've heard that the Man Met site for primary ed is very far from the centre which put me off a bit but what did you think of it? I know that in Birmingham, both Birm City and Newman offer this course so would like to ask why you chose City over Newman?😊 Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I'm also hoping to study Primary Education next year! I live in York so can confirm that it is a very good place to do teacher training as, when it was first opened, that was the only course it did! York has a very homely feeling if you're worried about moving away and the university in near the city centre so it is easy to get into town! Hope that helps!😊
Original post by c-anne-
I applied for undergraduate primary education courses for 2014 and got offers from the places that I applied after I went to the interviews. I did this because I wanted to be a primary school teacher. However, I changed my mind on results day and cancelled my place, and I am now going to be studying English Literature at Warwick. Basically, I think you need to be 100% sure that you will always want to be a primary school teacher for all those years, as you will only be qualified for that profession. I personally believe that the best route is to do a degree which is more versatile for graduate job schemes in case you change your mind, and then do a one year PGCE afterwards which will qualify you as a teacher. This would leave your options open.

I didn't believe that was the most useful route until I realised how difficult it is to get a job as it is, without restricting yourself to one career. I think you should just be certain, but if you're sure that that's all you want to do, then go for it :smile:

Here's some things about the uni's I looked at:

Worcester - established as a good for teacher training, lots of support, the lecturers are so lovely and welcoming, they offer extra things to enhance your CV such as sign language, volunteering and first aid. The area was nice, and it has a train station within walking distance, probably about a 10 minute walk maximum.

Birmingham City - was rated 'outstanding' by Ofsted. The rooms are like classrooms which is pretty useful. They have many resources that you can borrow for placements, such as puppets, whiteboards, and books. This means that you can be prepared! However, the uni isn't in a nice area but the train station is literally right next to the uni.

Newman - I probably wouldn't have considered this one if I wasn't close to Birmingham. It's small with a college like atmosphere (meaning that you can easily get hold of the tutors if you have any worries), but the lack of social/night life and transport put me off as it's in a secluded area :tongue:

I don't know how much help this will be, but I hope I've been of some use as I wish I had more support when I wanted to do the undergraduate primary course! Good luck with whatever route/uni you choose! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I am hoping to study primary education next year and found your post very helpful!

I had noticed that in Birmingham both Birmingham City and Newman offer the course so one of my questions was which one is better in people's opinion and you said City! I'm quite keen to go to a big city, ideally with a campus not too far from the centre and you said Newman was a bit secluded which puts me off it a bit! Does City have an access to the centre? Would you mind saying a bit more on the difference between the two and what Birmingham is like?😊
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest