The Student Room Group

What routine hobbies do people get over the summer?

So it's that time of year, the summer holidays have begun and woooooo, everything is epic :biggrin: (especially if the weather cooperates and we actually get some sun!)

Just got back from Russia, Sweden, Finland and Estonia myself, so still very happy and excited.

Buttt the general trend of the summer holidays is that gradually, they become a big game of: WHAT DO I DO TODAY??! Parents are often working and daytime TV isn't great as Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women become tedious. Even by 2 months in, waking up in student time zone past midday holds little achievement.

So, I figured I'd see, what are people's traditional summer hobbies? Do you have a favourite book to read or particular hobbies/interests/activities? For example, every year myself, it's time to go back to a young Harry Potter locked in a cupboard in Privet Drive and read the entire collection, ignoring how old it makes me feel!

So happy holidays people! Let's hope the BBC predict the weather right (and positively for once) and we get some sunshine and a good summer! :cool:

Scroll to see replies

I play the hell out of my PS3 in anticipation for school taking up my valuable time.
Is this meant to be in Books, literature and comics subforum though?
Reply 2
If I don't have a day out or anything else planned during the summer, I just have a movie/tv show or game marathon. I usually play Minecraft for about 10 hrs straight and then about 5 hours of watching a movie or tv show.

This year I promised myself I would make exercising a hobby during the summer, like even just going for a walk at night as I need training for a 6 mile Race for Life event I have coming up in Sept but so far that hobby has fell through :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to just continue the hobbies I pursued during the year. That and go a bit insane.
Reply 4
I like to paint walls and watch the paint dry.....
Nah i do get bored but usually end up watching property shows....
Personally i'm going to be rereading ASOIAF by George RR Martin as well as playing video games and trying to get to the cinema to see all the big releases like the new inbetweeners film etc. :smile:

Original post by Tom_green_day
I play the hell out of my PS3 in anticipation for school taking up my valuable time.
Is this meant to be in Books, literature and comics subforum though?

I'd say Entertainment is right since people could dive into books, tv shows, films or music or hit up some festivals.
I do some volunteering, read a book I've been wanting to read for ages but haven't had the chance, meet up with my friends, catch up on piano practice e.t.c. I'm still bored by the end though :smile:
I love to blog a lot...face it! I think I might be addicted to blogging! :lolwut: This is what inevitably happens to all top-boggers I read...now I am part of that "zombie" crowd who need to blog all the time! Oh yeah! :cyber: But apart from that my favourite past-time during the summer is to read tonnes of books, some fiction and some history, and watch a lot of comedy and politics shows, like The Andrew Marr Show or Start the Week with Andrew Marr.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Well! I also like to read the entire HP series again :smile: But this year it will be ALL the Rick Riordan books :wink:
Reply 9
Started going the gym 3 weeks ago, keeps me occupied for about 1 hour a day, not long but it's one hour out the house and feels great.
Generally to improve my fitness, so this can vary from playing sports to going to the gym. Tbf, this year with the world cup on, I've spent a lot of time watching matches.
I am planning to have MIddle Earth/Harry Potter/Inbetweeners marathons! :cool:
Netflix
Reading a song of ice and fire books which I bought recently for a great price. Will also do the annual Harry potter marathon aswell and have a few family events planned aswell so this summer should be good, then only a couple of months until uni!
I watch season after season of various programmes. Sometimes meet up with friends. Youtube and TSR. Going to try to do some exercise and get fitter (probably won't happen).
Original post by neal95
Reading a song of ice and fire books which I bought recently for a great price. Will also do the annual Harry potter marathon aswell and have a few family events planned aswell so this summer should be good, then only a couple of months until uni!

That's an AWESOME plan. I am planning on rereading the song of ice and fire series this summer after i read the divergent series. Just started them last night.

Atm i'm watching a LOAD of films. I'm running a comp here on TSR to find the best film so am trying to watch as many o them as i can.
I've been studying quite a bit. I don't want to forget what I learned on my year abroad! :smile:
Reply 17
Watch tv series, read and watch films
Original post by Motorbiker
That's an AWESOME plan. I am planning on rereading the song of ice and fire series this summer after i read the divergent series. Just started them last night.

Atm i'm watching a LOAD of films. I'm running a comp here on TSR to find the best film so am trying to watch as many o them as i can.

I've just watched the first 3 seasons of game of thrones on sky an was hooked! However, going to read up To that point in the books (on around page 200 on a game of thrones ATM) then purchase season 4 of amazon instant video...love how Martin places all these symbols in the books aswell, a truly great writer
Original post by neal95
I've just watched the first 3 seasons of game of thrones on sky an was hooked! However, going to read up To that point in the books (on around page 200 on a game of thrones ATM) then purchase season 4 of amazon instant video...love how Martin places all these symbols in the books aswell, a truly great writer

If you want to watch the tv show i wouldn't advice going much past the end of the first book since the tv show does some things in a very different order to the books and some things completely different. Although if you don't mind whether you read it or watch it first then go ahead.

Quick Reply

Latest