The Student Room Group

HNC Care and Administrative practice (HNC CAP) in August? :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kayjo
Hi I have my interview next week for HNC CAP at north kelvin college. Im totally in the dark as to what it will be like, I'm classed as a mature student so really out of practice just wondering if anyone knows what the interview consists of-there is also a mention of a 'written piece' to be completed...I'm so nervous 🙂

The interview was fine fairly informal.
Nothing to worry about.
You only do a written piece of work which consists of a passage if you do not meet minimal entry requirmemts.
I have been told it is straight forward.
Original post by Kayjo
Hi I have my interview next week for HNC CAP at north kelvin college. Im totally in the dark as to what it will be like, I'm classed as a mature student so really out of practice just wondering if anyone knows what the interview consists of-there is also a mention of a 'written piece' to be completed...I'm so nervous 🙂

Hey Kayjo, I have my interview this Thursday at the Glasgow Kelvin east-end campus i'm also nervous, as ive had 2 previous interview for the SWAP access to nursing, didnt get into one and got placed on the waiting list for the other, after these failed attempts i since realised i could study at level 7 instead of repeating at level 6, hence why i've applied for HNC CAP, makes more sense really and fingers crossed all goes well i can enter year 2 nursing. For my interview i've been asked to research the NMC code of conduct is this the same for you? Also have you had you interview yet ?
Reply 42
Original post by LeighUno
Hey Kayjo, I have my interview this Thursday at the Glasgow Kelvin east-end campus i'm also nervous, as ive had 2 previous interview for the SWAP access to nursing, didnt get into one and got placed on the waiting list for the other, after these failed attempts i since realised i could study at level 7 instead of repeating at level 6, hence why i've applied for HNC CAP, makes more sense really and fingers crossed all goes well i can enter year 2 nursing. For my interview i've been asked to research the NMC code of conduct is this the same for you? Also have you had you interview yet ?

Hi LeighUno
I have my interview as well this Thursday at the east end campus. I have also been asked to research the NMC code of conduct which I have read and read and read but I don't seem to be retaining it :frown: I'm trying to work out in my head what the question could be. This is the 1st time I've ever applied to college (after leaving school 16 years ago) so was lucky to get an interview, feel like I'm so close but that's what's going to make it worse if I fail xx
Original post by Kayjo
Hi LeighUno
I have my interview as well this Thursday at the east end campus. I have also been asked to research the NMC code of conduct which I have read and read and read but I don't seem to be retaining it :frown: I'm trying to work out in my head what the question could be. This is the 1st time I've ever applied to college (after leaving school 16 years ago) so was lucky to get an interview, feel like I'm so close but that's what's going to make it worse if I fail xx

Gosh I'm the same, I have went through it page to page and broke it down, later today I'll sit and try and memorise what I've done, I'm hoping it's just a simple question about what it's used for and its aim I'm sure they won't need us to go into to much detail as we are new to all this, but we won't know until tomorrow, I left school about 12 years ago now but I did go to college back in 2007, I'm sure you will do fine and fingers crossed we will both get into the course, I for one will be devastated if I don't but I have another interview for the same course at Glasgow Clyde at the end of the month, still waiting to hear back from, Glasgow city ( although the course is full with them), new college Lanarkshire, west college Scotland. Xx
Reply 44
Gosh I'm the same, I have went through it page to page and broke it down, later today I'll sit and try and memorise what I've done, I'm hoping it's just a simple question about what it's used for and its aim I'm sure they won't need us to go into to much detail as we are new to all this, but we won't know until tomorrow, I left school about 12 years ago now but I did go to college back in 2007, I'm sure you will do fine and fingers crossed we will both get into the course, I for one will be devastated if I don't but I have another interview for the same course at Glasgow Clyde at the end of the month, still waiting to hear back from, Glasgow city ( although the course is full with them), new college Lanarkshire, west college Scotland. Xx

Yeh fingers crossed we both sail through tomorrow :smile:, I also have an interview at the end of the month for Glasgow Clyde and also still waiting to hear back from City (although I also got the email about it being full)
I will also be devastated, i've wanted to do this for so long i've twice had interviews (a fair few years ago) at uni once for midwifery and another for adult nursing and twice i've backed out due to nerves. feel like now is my time...just hope I can hold it together :smile:
Good luck to you. hope it goes well tomorrow xx
Awe gosh, you'll do fine, I think this course will help boost our confidence because it had the placement too. I've never done care work, just have personal experience. I'm the same I feel focuses and determined it'll be hard studying having 2 young kids but plenty of people cope so why can't i 😊. Thanks same to you, good luck. Xx
Reply 46
Awe gosh, you'll do fine, I think this course will help boost our confidence because it had the placement too. I've never done care work, just have personal experience. I'm the same I feel focuses and determined it'll be hard studying having 2 young kids but plenty of people cope so why can't i 😊. Thanks same to you, good luck. Xx

Hi LeighUno.
How did you get on today? What time was your interview?xx
Original post by Kayjo
Hi LeighUno.
How did you get on today? What time was your interview?xx

Hey Kayjo, I was about to message you too, my interview was at 1:30, I think it went okay but can never tell I think I kind of babbled a lot with the written statement, how about u ? Xx
Reply 48
Hey Kayjo, I was about to message you too, my interview was at 1:30, I think it went okay but can never tell I think I kind of babbled a lot with the written statement, how about u ? Xx

I was at the 1.30 interview too.lol. It fair dragged on...I was one of the last ones for my one to one interview. I also babbled with my written statement, I don't even think I answered the question if I'm being honest...the maths thing was fine. I think I done ok with the interview I stuttered through parts of it...the interviewer was really positive tho said it was a good interview especially considering I don't have much care experience..so fingers,legs and toes crossed til we find out.xx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kayjo
I was at the 1.30 interview too.lol. It fair dragged on...I was one of the last ones for my one to one interview. I also babbled with my written statement, I don't even think I answered the question if I'm being honest...the maths thing was fine. I think I done ok with the interview I stuttered through parts of it...the interviewer was really positive tho said it was a good interview especially considering I don't have much care experience..so fingers,legs no toes crossed til we find out.xx

Awe I was one of the firsts lol I'm the exact same I dont think I answered it correctly either, I hope they don't use that against it and just see it as a positive that I did do some research about it, I didn't think I was going to make it, my husband was at uni studying and my mums partner ended up doing other things this morning and ended up running late to mine and wouldn't even be at my house on time to watch the kids for me so my hubby had to leave uni and meet me at college so he could look after the kids while I was inside I was totally stressing, but it's all done now, yeah the maths were fine although I struggle to divide with double figures so I totally messed that box up and ended up using ratio to get the answer about the petrol lol, I told the interview about how I struggled with psychology and sociology in the course I done 10 years ago and didn't pass that section I told her at that point I didn't put enough effort in but I know I'm focuses I can out the effort in now as I'm more wiser and I have a future goal, she told me i would be expected to study during summer so that its fresh in mine mind which I totally agree with and she said I would need a reference I'm hoping those r positive signs lol xx
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Awe I was one of the firsts lol I'm the exact same I dont think I answered it correctly either, I hope they don't use that against it and just see it as a positive that I did do some research about it, I didn't think I was going to make it, my husband was at uni studying and my mums partner ended up doing other things this morning and ended up running late to mine and wouldn't even be at my house on time to watch the kids for me so my hubby had to leave uni and meet me at college so he could look after the kids while I was inside I was totally stressing, but it's all done now, yeah the maths were fine although I struggle to divide with double figures so I totally messed that box up and ended up using ratio to get the answer about the petrol lol, I told the interview about how I struggled with psychology and sociology in the course I done 10 years ago and didn't pass that section I told her at that point I didn't put enough effort in but I know I'm focuses I can out the effort in now as I'm more wiser and I have a future goal, she told me i would be expected to study during summer so that its fresh in mine mind which I totally agree with and she said I would need a reference I'm hoping those r positive signs lol xx

I pm'd you xx
Hi, has anyone sat entrance test to get a place on HNC course.
I am sitting test tomorrow.
I know it is a passage and that you get some questions.
Just wondering if anyone could give examples.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by estewart2
Hi, has anyone sat entrance test to get a place on HNC course.
I am sitting test tomorrow.
I know it is a passage and that you get some questions.
Just wondering if anyone could give examples.
Thanks in advance.

Hey I had numeracy test and a question relating to NMC CODE OF PRACTICE, was asked to research before going to interview. Hope this helps. I think all colleges have different interview procedures. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Hey I had numeracy test and a question relating to NMC CODE OF PRACTICE, was asked to research before going to interview. Hope this helps. I think all colleges have different interview procedures. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi LeighUno - congratulations on your interview, I hope you hear back soon :smile:
I just received notification about my interview for HNC CAP at Glasgow Kelvin. It's not until the end of May! I've also applied to Glasgow Clyde college but not heard anything yet. I think I was maybe a bit later with my application!!I got the same note about being asked to research the NMC Code of Practice which I'm fine with but I'm worried about the numeracy test!! Is it just basic math? I've bought a Nursing Calculations workbook that I'm trying to practice but I'm still getting used to it - been out of school for quite a while so it's all new to me again!!
Original post by pam_06
Hi LeighUno - congratulations on your interview, I hope you hear back soon :smile:
I just received notification about my interview for HNC CAP at Glasgow Kelvin. It's not until the end of May! I've also applied to Glasgow Clyde college but not heard anything yet. I think I was maybe a bit later with my application!!I got the same note about being asked to research the NMC Code of Practice which I'm fine with but I'm worried about the numeracy test!! Is it just basic math? I've bought a Nursing Calculations workbook that I'm trying to practice but I'm still getting used to it - been out of school for quite a while so it's all new to me again!!

Hi Pam, I heard back yesterday and got a conditional offer so happy. Basic maths nothing to complicated, me too I left school at 16 back in 2004 done 1 college course in 2006/2007 so I'm the same be a shock to the system being back studying but it'll be worth it in the end. Good luck with you interview, in withdrawn my application to all others as I've accepted the space at glasgow kelvin. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Hi Pam, I heard back yesterday and got a conditional offer so happy. Basic maths nothing to complicated, me too I left school at 16 back in 2004 done 1 college course in 2006/2007 so I'm the same be a shock to the system being back studying but it'll be worth it in the end. Good luck with you interview, in withdrawn my application to all others as I've accepted the space at glasgow kelvin. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! Congratulations :smile:
That's good to know, thanks for getting back to me. I'm the same left school in 2005 with a college course years ago so it'll be a shock but I'm looking forward to it :smile: xx
Original post by Kayjo
I pm'd you xx

Hi, i hope you don't mind me asking but what was the question? I also have an interview but i'm totally nervous about it. i've been out of education for a long long time. x
Hey, it wasn't to hard, to be honest I don't even think I answered the question they asked I sort of rambled on around the code in general. You will be fine, I was worried to as I didn't feel like it was sticking but as soon as you go it'll all come back xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I was hoping someone could help me,
I have an interview for the HNC CAP course next week, I have applied for the evening classes. I was wondering if anyone knew how placements work with evening course? Are they weekends/nights? I have asked the college but the woman I spoke to didn't sound too sure herself.

Hopefully someone can help. Thank you.
Original post by NicoleJane
Hi I was hoping someone could help me,
I have an interview for the HNC CAP course next week, I have applied for the evening classes. I was wondering if anyone knew how placements work with evening course? Are they weekends/nights? I have asked the college but the woman I spoke to didn't sound too sure herself.

Hopefully someone can help. Thank you.

Hey I'm not sure about that, but they will tell u at the interview I didn't find out what my placements were going to be until I had my interview, good luck with it .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest