The Student Room Group

Thomas Muller is the most intellegent forward in world football

As said in the title. Discuss.

I've never seen a player with so little ability on the ball get so many goals and start for a world class side. I thought Inzaghi was bad but this guy is something else.

His work rate, his determination, his positioning, his off the ball movement is just out of this world. I remember the CL final e.g. how he decided to head the ball downwards because he thought Cech wouldn't be able to handle the bounce when he could have just hit it straight at Cech who would have saved it then. Guy is an enigma.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What's there to discuss? Everybody can see that.
Reply 2
Strange player...

If he wasn't playing for Bayern Munich, would he be considered as good?
Reply 3
Original post by Yawn-er
Strange player...

Imo he is a system player. I.e. He is amazing if you use him in the right system but probably useless otherwise.
Reply 4
Original post by Zürich
What's there to discuss? Everybody can see that.

Just having an argument with my mates on whatsapp over this because I said he's more intelligent than Messi.

They're confusing technical ability with football intelligence.

Inb4 Ronaldo mentioned as most intelligent player.

Original post by C.Almasy
Imo he is a system player. I.e. He is amazing if you use him in the right system but probably useless otherwise.

The thing is he still did well in Peps defensive possession/counter attack hybrid.

I don't think he's a system player, you don't get away with that playing for Pep Guardiola teams because he will not alter a whole system because of a player.

You'd think that he'd only suit counter attacking teams because of his work rate. Only time i've seen Muller be shocking was when he played CM under Guardiola in the 4-5-1, but then he's not a CM.
(edited 9 years ago)
Dunno about that, Juan Mata has a degree

ba dum tss
Original post by jam278
Just having an argument with my mates on whatsapp over this because I said he's more intelligent than Messi.

They're confusing technical ability with football intelligence.

Inb4 Ronaldo mentioned as most intelligent player.

The thing is he still did well in Peps defensive possession/counter attack hybrid.

I don't think he's a system player, you don't get away with that playing for Pep Guardiola teams because he will not alter a whole system because of a player.

You'd think that he'd only suit counter attacking teams because of his work rate. Only time i've seen Muller be shocking was when he played CM under Guardiola in the 4-5-1, but then he's not a CM.

Well his instinct is truly a phenomenon, you dont need to be technically gifted to bundle the ball in so long as you get into those positions and invariably he does. Seen him play live twice and his off the ball movement is just fantastic :coma:

Probably his lack of technical ability helps him in a way since he knows he's only going to be effective in the box and focuses on that fully. Its a different kind of intelligence to Messi really, more cunning and calculated. Id say Mueller is the more intelligent yeah.

Mueller is so so German though, plays like someone from their 1974 team or something :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Zürich
Well his instinct is truly a phenomenon, you dont need to be technically gifted to bundle the ball in so long as you get into those positions and invariably he does. Seen him play live twice and his off the ball movement is just fantastic :coma:

Probably his lack of technical ability helps him in a way since he knows he's only going to be effective in the box and focuses on that fully. Its a different kind of intelligence to Messi really, more cunning and calculated. Id say Mueller is the more intelligent yeah.

Mueller is so so German though, plays like someone from their 1974 team or something :laugh:

He also looks like such the typical Bayern smug ****. Just has a very punchable face.
He also looks like such the typical Bayern smug ****. Just has a very punchable face.

nah, he's the kind of Bavarian I like. Arrogant yes, but with a very dry sense of humour :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by manchesterunited15
Dunno about that, Juan Mata has a degree

ba dum tss

Iain Dowie has a Masters in Engineering. STEM master race.
Original post by Drewski
Iain Dowie has a Masters in Engineering. STEM master race.

Who'da thought it

Original post by manchesterunited15
Who'da thought it

As an engineer myself, I can confirm that that is exactly what all engineering students look like...

...the female ones, anyway.
Lol British people are weird.

In Germany no one comments on Müller's supposed lack of (technical) ability. And you are the only country to blame him for Pepe's red card.
Reply 13
Plus he loves his granny. :K:
Original post by Yawn-er
Strange player...

If he wasn't scoring 8 goals in 7 games would he be considered as good?
Original post by SarcasticMel

In Germany no one comments on Müller's supposed lack of (technical) ability. And you are the only country to blame him for Pepe's red card.

I am English and I have loved him since 2009. He has great ability and a passion for football that is lacked by the likes of Ronaldo
Original post by SarcasticMel

Auch bekommt er alle die beste Muschi

Reply 17
Original post by llys
Plus he loves his granny. :K:

Explain? :eek:
Reply 18
Explain? :eek:

At the last WC he gave an interview on TV. When the interview was basically finished and the interviewer was almost starting to move on he interrupted him (politely) saying that he would like to greet his granny if that was allowed and proceeded to do so in a very nice manner. Grannies of the nation must love him, I think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by TheAnusFiles
If he wasn't scoring 8 goals in 7 games would he be considered as good?

It helps that he's surrounded by BM players no?

Quick Reply

Latest