The Student Room Group

Law GCSE Grades?

Hello, I have been looking at university requirements for Law and noticed Manchester required a "strong overall profile". What kind of grades would that mean? Meanwhile Bristol had no specific requirements, does that mean they don't look at your GCSEs?
Also, what kind of GCSE grades should I be looking at if I'd like to go in to Law? If I got 4 A's at AS and had reasonably good GCSEs, would I be able to apply for Law?
Finally, do you talk to teachers/tuturs etc in your school about university applications before or after AS level results.
Thanks.
Original post by Isobel Sweeney
Hello, I have been looking at university requirements for Law and noticed Manchester required a "strong overall profile". What kind of grades would that mean? Meanwhile Bristol had no specific requirements, does that mean they don't look at your GCSEs?
Also, what kind of GCSE grades should I be looking at if I'd like to go in to Law? If I got 4 A's at AS and had reasonably good GCSEs, would I be able to apply for Law?
Finally, do you talk to teachers/tuturs etc in your school about university applications before or after AS level results.
Thanks.

GCSEs on the whole aren't really important for applying to study Law. I imagine when Manchester says strong overall profile they mean having mostly As or above in your GCSEs, but a few Bs or the odd C won't matter. For the top unis - places like Bristol, Manchester, Kings/LSE/UCL, Warwick, Durham etc as long as you have mostly As/A*s you'll be fine. It would only become an issue if say you had mostly Bs or below for these kind of unis. AS results are far more important, if you got 4As I would say it really won't matter too much about your GCSEs at all.

Your last question varies by school. I personally went to a pretty average state school where university applications weren't even touched on until after we had our AS results. In contrast, my friend who went to a very good private school had been discussing her application with teachers/tutors at her school since she started her AS levels, so it really varies.

To give you my own example, I didn't get outstanding GCSEs - 1A*, 7As, 3Bs and didn't get 4As at AS level but received offers from Durham, KCL, Bristol and Exeter, along with a rejection after interview from Cambridge.
Original post by Isobel Sweeney
Hello, I have been looking at university requirements for Law and noticed Manchester required a "strong overall profile". What kind of grades would that mean?

Either Unsworth is right or they don't want people with weak chins and retrousse noses
Bit late but they dont talk about university until A2
You then also have a lovely panicked wait for every email response from your progress coach
Good luck being a lawyer, but i think you sound like somebody who would do better in history, or politics, in fact maybe both

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending