The Student Room Group

Hours Taken

This question is to the drivers that have taken their test or are about to, I was wondering how many hours you took with your instructor before taking the test. And this is also to the drivers that were complete beginners and have no experience of being behind the wheel before they met their instructors..

Scroll to see replies

I had around 20 hours I think, but had my own car aswell to learn in.. It depends how quick you learn things really
Original post by daydreamer93
This question is to the drivers that have taken their test or are about to, I was wondering how many hours you took with your instructor before taking the test. And this is also to the drivers that were complete beginners and have no experience of being behind the wheel before they met their instructors..

About 20 lessons, including some doubles. I had no prior experience and passed first time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm about to have my first test next week and I've done around 47 hours. I only go out once a week for an hour though, and don't drive outside of that. I think I could have done my test before now too but where I live the waiting time is absolutely ridiculous.
Original post by Vitamin D
I'm about to have my first test next week and I've done around 47 hours. I only go out once a week for an hour though, and don't drive outside of that. I think I could have done my test before now too but where I live the waiting time is absolutely ridiculous.

Really? wow, do you learn faster like that or slower?

Because what I do, is 2 lessons per week and 1 lesson is 2 hours, for some people this is too quick to take stuff in but for some its fine.
Really? wow, do you learn faster like that or slower?

Because what I do, is 2 lessons per week and 1 lesson is 2 hours, for some people this is too quick to take stuff in but for some its fine.

I think I quickly would have got tired of it at the pace you have but no doubt I would have learnt faster. It honestly came down to the fact that 1 hour with my instructor is £25 and I never had more than that to spare a week. If I could have done 1 2 hour lesson a week I would have :smile: I'm happy with the way I've learnt to drive, definitely feel ready for my test and I appreciate the range of situations I've found myself in during lessons over the past year.
Original post by Vitamin D
I think I quickly would have got tired of it at the pace you have but no doubt I would have learnt faster. It honestly came down to the fact that 1 hour with my instructor is £25 and I never had more than that to spare a week. If I could have done 1 2 hour lesson a week I would have :smile: I'm happy with the way I've learnt to drive, definitely feel ready for my test and I appreciate the range of situations I've found myself in during lessons over the past year.

Yeah I think it also depends on how quick you want to pass, I started only a month ago and already I've done 10 hours, and I will probably do 30 hours more, so I will end up passing around September time before uni starts:smile:
Yeah I think it also depends on how quick you want to pass, I started only a month ago and already I've done 10 hours, and I will probably do 30 hours more, so I will end up passing around September time before uni starts:smile:

Yeah definitely, I had a bit of a gap year this year so I wasn't too bothered about passing quickly. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
One double lesson a week. Total 40 lessons from scratch (hadn't even sat in the drivers seat before). Passed today at 1st attempt with 9 minors. In London. :smile:
First reaction? I'll never have to look at that smug a$$ of a driving instructor again. I swear he was disappointed that he was losing his cash cow!:angry:
Original post by Cobbler
One double lesson a week. Total 40 lessons from scratch (hadn't even sat in the drivers seat before). Passed today at 1st attempt with 9 minors. In London. :smile:
First reaction? I'll never have to look at that smug a$$ of a driving instructor again. I swear he was disappointed that he was losing his cash cow!:angry:

congratulations man, I'm gonna be taking the test soon in west london, I'm having to pay 240 every 10 hours:frown: and I need 30 hours more so thats 720 I'm going to be giving him:Z he must be rubbing his fat hands together. But hopefully I don't need more than 40 hours, everything's pretty easy just left hand reverse and parallel parking is an ache!
I'm taking my test at the end of July and so far I've had 23 lessons which equal to about 26.5 hours. By the day of my test I would've had 27 lessons equaling about 32.5 hours. Before my first lesson, I had no experience in a car and have 1 x 1.5 hour lesson a week. Just really hoping I pass first time because I don't have the money to buy loads more lessons and another test fee ahhh 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 26december
I'm taking my test at the end of July and so far I've had 23 lessons which equal to about 26.5 hours. By the day of my test I would've had 27 lessons equaling about 32.5 hours. Before my first lesson, I had no experience in a car and have 1 x 1.5 hour lesson a week. Just really hoping I pass first time because I don't have the money to buy loads more lessons and another test fee ahhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you feel confident enough to take the test with only 23 lessons in? and you know you're parallel parking and left hand reverse, do you go by the set of procedures or do you just steer as you reverse, I'm curious to know how everyone does it:confused:
I took my test after 17 lessons. I had no prior driving experience. Ultimately it depends on how comfortable you are in the car.

With parallel parking or reversing around the corner you just need to remember that your front wheels are turning and your rears aren't. That means as you turn the car will pivot about the rear wheels. Usually I keep my eye on the wing mirror and just adjust your steering so you stay a set distance from the kerb of car. And remember to make small adjustments! (Unless you are going really wrong)
Do you feel confident enough to take the test with only 23 lessons in? and you know you're parallel parking and left hand reverse, do you go by the set of procedures or do you just steer as you reverse, I'm curious to know how everyone does it:confused:

Yeah I'm pretty confident but still got 1.5 hour lesson each week until my test. With the parallel parking I just follow the procedures aka the whole 1 full lock left then when left wing mirror pointing towards other car then 1.5 steer to right etc. follow the procedures for left reverse aswell. I feel pretty confident so as long as I keep my nerves down and remember to check mirrors constantly and watch speed etc I should hopefully 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I booked my test for the end of July on my 11th lesson (22hrs) I've got 3 more more to go till then to bring me up to 30hrs. Had no prior experience in a car and no driving with parents outside lessons. Cutting it a bit slim though, only started manoeuvres a couple lessons ago and I've only done a parallel park once!:/
Reply 15
Original post by Exx
I booked my test for the end of July on my 11th lesson (22hrs) I've got 3 more more to go till then to bring me up to 30hrs. Had no prior experience in a car and no driving with parents outside lessons. Cutting it a bit slim though, only started manoeuvres a couple lessons ago and I've only done a parallel park once!:/

I really hope you pass. Can you get anyone to take you out to practice your manoevres on top of your lessons?
For me everything is going smoothly including maneuvers, its just parallel parking and left hand reverse, I tried natural steering for left hand reverse and I end up parking way off, because I turned the steering wheel so many times that I don't know if the wheels straighten out.:s-smilie: Think I might try and do it by the procedures this time, but that just seems to over complicate things.. :confused: I dunno..
Original post by Cobbler
I really hope you pass. Can you get anyone to take you out to practice your manoevres on top of your lessons?

Yeah I do have my own car so I have been out a lot in it practising but even with all this I'm obviously going to still feel nervous haha so I'm just hoping all the practise I have done will pay off in a few weeks time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 26december
Yeah I do have my own car so I have been out a lot in it practising but even with all this I'm obviously going to still feel nervous haha so I'm just hoping all the practise I have done will pay off in a few weeks time

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard a lot about people getting cars before they get their license, is it worth it? and what kind of insurance do you need to get if you're just learning in it.
Ermm... Around 110 or so hours 2 a week, purely because my instructor didn't think I was ready, even still the week of my test, in the end I got 4 minors, 3 of them for forgetting to indicate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending