The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Favoured degree

is a degree of law LLb by UCl significantly favored on those by others from University of London eg.Birkbeck.Personal experience:wink:
Reply 1
Original post by Dat Dere
Well of course it is, you numpty. Not only is UCL a more prestigious, target university (which is important in law) but the course is higher regarded and more rigorous.

Well i am no numpty.I had visited UCL but none of the other U of L unis.As for the course all U of L unis have same and course and assessments and teaching ways so I dont see how it could be more rigorous.But as for high regard that is subjective.I read online that employers don't look for universities anymore its more about knowledge in field.But anyways I needed answers from ex or current students of UCL on personal experience.Or anyone else from U of L unis about there experience.There alot of generalizations otherwise
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by anne banny
Well i am no numpty.I had visited UCL but none of the other U of L unis.As for the course all U of L unis have same and course and assessments and teaching ways so I dont see how it could be more rigorous.But as for high regard that is subjective.I read online that employers don't look for universities anymore its more about knowledge in field.But anyways I needed answers from ex or current students of UCL on personal experience.Or anyone else from U of L unis about there experience.There alot of generalizations otherwise

No, not all the UofL courses are the same - just look at the syllabus. Lecturers are also different as is funding to the different campuses.

You might have been told that it's about experience in the field and that is true for most subjects but not for law. If you do some research online you'll find that Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham and similarly highly prestigious universities are still preferred in law.

My experience: sister went to UCL and is now a practicing lawyer in a magic circle law firm.
Reply 3
In addition, the big law firms visit UCL, and don't go to Birbeck even though it is in London and easy to arrange.
Original post by Film
In addition, the big law firms visit UCL, and don't go to Birbeck even though it is in London and easy to arrange.

This is an incorrect statement. You are pandering to generalisation and stereotyping. However, it is true that UCL is regarded as (that is, perceived as) the more prestigious institution in the London colleges.
Reply 5
Original post by tabshiftspace
This is an incorrect statement. You are pandering to generalisation and stereotyping. However, it is true that UCL is regarded as (that is, perceived as) the more prestigious institution in the London colleges.

Sorry but it is the facts. There have been plenty of discussions on here about it with people linking the visits of the major law firms. You can see very clearly looking at these links and which schools they target with their visits. UCL I believe was on most if not all, and Birbeck was not.
Original post by Film
Sorry but it is the facts. There have been plenty of discussions on here about it with people linking the visits of the major law firms. You can see very clearly looking at these links and which schools they target with their visits. UCL I believe was on most if not all, and Birbeck was not.

Sorry to burst your bubble 'but it is [not] the facts.' Having obtained degrees from both institutions and therefore still being on the receiving end of all emails to students from both faculties, I can tell you I receive invitations from MC, SC and other firms from both. Trust me, I don't like receiving them because I have no interest in these firms (or being a solicitor). However, I am merely highlighting that your second hand information is incorrect.
Reply 7
Original post by Film

yeah this is incorrect i went to queens mary,they had alot of adds from ppl who wanted them.Birkbeck isnt very different from queen mary.And I didnt like queen mary.so they do give offers to pupils of other such unis.
Reply 8
Original post by Dat Dere
No, not all the UofL courses are the same - just look at the syllabus. Lecturers are also different as is funding to the different campuses.

You might have been told that it's about experience in the field and that is true for most subjects but not for law. If you do some research online you'll find that Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham and similarly highly prestigious universities are still preferred in law.

My experience: sister went to UCL and is now a practicing lawyer in a magic circle law firm.

I am just intersted in law.those courses are the same.I have looked at the syllabus.of course lecturers are different but as long as the faculty is expert my decision would be easier.I did reasearch but such preference is very slight.And really its just people being perjudiced.Birkbeck is just as prestigious.
Anyways thanks for talking out your time to reply.
Reply 9
I am just intersted in law.those courses are the same.I have looked at the syllabus.of course lecturers are different but as long as the faculty is expert my decision would be easier.I did reasearch but such preference is very slight.And really its just people being perjudiced.Birkbeck is just as prestigious.
Anyways thanks for talking out your time to reply.

I suggest that you look at the websites of the major law firms and you can see exactly which universities they target with their visits. It is very clear.
Honestly, whilst many employers may say that they don't look at the university but the person, the rank and prestige of a university will always matter.

There entry requirements are harder because alot of people apply.Everything else(degree) is the same

You've answered your own question - if more people apply, the entry requirements have to be harder. If the entry requirements are harder, an employer can reasonably presume that someone capable of getting into UCL is of a higher caliber purely on the grounds that they fulfil those higher entry requirements.

I have looked at the syllabus.of course lecturers are different but as long as the faculty is expert my decision would be easier.

Well, if you want to see how well-respected and expert those lecturers are, just look at their publishing history. Are they frequently published in leading journals? That is generally the benchmark for lecturing prowess. Unfortunately you'll likely find that UCL lecturers outstrip Birkbeck in this regard, because part of a university's prestige is built up from the quality of their output.

You say that the prestige of a university shouldn't matter if the course is high-quality. That is true. However the course quality contributes to university rankings, as does graduate employment, quality of academic research and output. Birkbeck isn't listed by the Guardian at all, as there is insufficient data. However often with universities including Birkbeck, they score highly on student satisfaction but lower on academic output and graduate employment. So the reputation of the university is built up carefully from these facts.
Now, with UCL, the scores are high enough that the prestigious reputation is earnt. With Birkbeck, on the other hand, the scores are lower. You act as if prestige is a purely superficial marker for university quality; it isn't. Prestige and reputation are generally built up from excellence. As a result Dat Dere and others are right - UCL degrees will be (possibly rightly) favoured over Birkbeck degrees.

I wish you luck in choosing a uni; it's a torturous process!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending