The Student Room Group

UEA Marketing vs UAL Advertising

Hello,

I got two offers, one from University of East Anglia for Msc Marketing and the other for UAL- London College of Communication for MA Advertising. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Only you can decide which actual course you prefer, but on basic academic generalities I'd choose UEA simply because its a solid academic University, with a great campus community. In London the sense of 'being at Uni' is far more diluted, and of course its far more expensive to live in London than Norwich.

If you haven't done already, do a 'go see' visit and just walk around each Uni and the area its in. Which 'feels right' is often a good indicator of which you should choose.
Original post by mbaker18
Hello,

I got two offers, one from University of East Anglia for Msc Marketing and the other for UAL- London College of Communication for MA Advertising. Does anyone have any suggestions?

They are two different courses so you need to decide first which is the right course. Then the right location. Also compared tuition fee costs, UEA will likely be cheaper than UAL.
Reply 3
Thank you for your comments!! I'm mostly concerned about employability. I am an international student from Los Angeles and I would love to eventually get a job after my postgraduate studies in England. I know its difficult for foreigners to get work visas but I'm sure going to a uni that has a lower employability rate will only make things even more challenging.

As for the UAL MA Advertising, this is a new course that is starting this Fall. There isn't much of a reputation for the program but I would assume that the school would put its best foot forward to prove that its a good program which would open doors to opportunities. As for UEA Marketing, it sounds good, I just don't know how employers will look at it?
I would love to eventually get a job after my postgraduate studies in England.

Your chances are getting employment here after your Masters are essentially Zero.

We have plenty of unemployed and underemployed graduates of our own and just having a UK Masters degree will not make you special enough for any employer to bother even thinking about trying to get a work visa for you - they'd rather employ a home grown graduate.

If this is your motivation for doing a Masters here, its probably a very big waste of time and money.
Thank you for your comments!! I'm mostly concerned about employability. I am an international student from Los Angeles and I would love to eventually get a job after my postgraduate studies in England. I know its difficult for foreigners to get work visas but I'm sure going to a uni that has a lower employability rate will only make things even more challenging.

As for the UAL MA Advertising, this is a new course that is starting this Fall. There isn't much of a reputation for the program but I would assume that the school would put its best foot forward to prove that its a good program which would open doors to opportunities. As for UEA Marketing, it sounds good, I just don't know how employers will look at it?

It's very difficult for international graduates/postgraduates to get a job over here and I'm not sure having a masters would make it any easier. For the majority of jobs a masters isn't a prerequiste, its more about the experience you have. You can't pin your hopes on it.
Reply 6
I appreciate your input. Just to clarify, no I'm not getting a masters just to get a job in the UK. I would be getting a masters regardless its just that in the US it is at least double if not triple the tuition. It's much more economical to study abroad, I just didn't want to limit myself even more by choosing a uni that isn't as reputable among employers. But thank you for your comments.
I think you'd feel happier at UEA. Its a modern campus Uni with a great atmosphere.
Watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTF9EOqy9L8
And this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcDvf408z10
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I recently was accepted to the University of Birmingham for a 24 month program. How do you compare it to UEA and UAL?
I recently was accepted to the University of Birmingham for a 24 month program. How do you compare it to UEA and UAL?

It's another good uni but at postgraduate level the department and course specialties matter just as much
Reply 10
is it overall a better uni than the other two because of it being apart of the russell group?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending